Leer versus ARE

I use the bed of my pickup for carrying lower profile stuff that needs to be weather protected - hence, the hardtop hinged covers work best for me. That said, I am trying to decide between ARE LSII and the Leer 700. Thoughts/opinions/reviews of either?

We use ARE toppers at work, the taller ones that are same level as top of cab. They are weatherproof and are build pretty well. We open the doors dozens of times a day and the hinges show no wear after 3 years. The only problem we have had are the pistons to hold doors open. They don't seem to be the best quality as I have had to replace about one a year because the seal will blow and will leak.

No experience with Leer.

• Like 1

Had a Leer 100XQ cap on my 2000 Silverado for ten years. Great cap, no problems except the paint eventually flaked off the door latch. It's like the aluminum material corroded under the paint pushing it off.

Otherwise a great cap, just ordered another one for my 2014 Sierra.

I had two Leer's, both cab height top tier caps. One on a Sierra, and the other on a Dodge Ram. Both fit well enough, and didn’t leak. But I live where there’s lots of rain and snow. After two seasons of use, the hardware on both caps rusted. The fit on the Dodge wasn’t as good as the GMC, when I think about it some….. Couple things I did not like about them 1) the door latches needed to be pushed in by hand on both sides, every time, both trucks. Slamming the door would not work, and I spent hours trying to adjust the latch. 2) rusting hardware… This is ridiculous…..hardware on a vehicle cap that rusts??? Why not use aluminum or Stainless? The damn things cost 3 grand a pop.

After the two Leers, I thought I’d try an ARE. I did not consider SnugTop, because I hate their handle. There’s no way that thing will last or work worth a crap in the winter with snow. So, after looking the ARE over, I liked the latching hardware the best of all of them. Still pricy, at about 3 grand, like the Leer and SnugTop top tier units.

Then I stumbled onto Jason Industries. Never heard of them. Looked them over closely, and decided to give one a try. I do not have it yet, and plan to pick it up next week. The Cyber model is what I bought. About five hundred less than the others too.

I had two leer fiberglass toppers that were as high as my cab. I used it a lot for camping and it work great. The last one I had the carpet ceiling installed and that was nice. The only thing I wished both caps had was a inside handle to close and lock the cap door when you were inside.

Yes, I am looking at the low profile hard tonneau but was indeed interested in general statements of quality regarding Leer and ARE products. That said, I have actually contemplated a cap..we'll see! Appreciate the comments!

I use the bed of my pickup for carrying lower profile stuff that needs to be weather protected - hence, the hardtop hinged covers work best for me. That said, I am trying to decide between ARE LSII and the Leer 700. Thoughts/opinions/reviews of either?

I had the equivalent of the ARE LSII on my 2000 Silverado for 10 years. It was nice, but I learned the hard way not to drive much with it open. The flexing caused it to stress crack near the hinge and I had two rivets at the hinge fail as well. I don't know if that's a fair observation or not because I did use it in a way you were not supposed to according to the manufacturer. Only other complaint I had was that the paint was very, very soft compared to the factory paint. It got swirl marks if you looked at it the wrong way.

My father had a '91 C1500 and had an ARE hard tonneau cover and it was built welll enough to take this abuse-mine however was not. His is still going strong.

This time I went with a folding cover because I too frequently have something tall in the bed.

I did consider it, but it looks a little flimsy. Do you own the SE LUX?

I don't have any personal experience with the LUX but, I have two friends that have and did have the undercover classic covers and they seemed very strong to me, you could walk on the covers. I was really wanting to get a solid cover but, I haul tall stuff too often and needed a folding cover or I would have gotten the undercover SE.

• Like 1

One thing to keep in mind (now that you mentioned interest in cap instead of tonneau cover)

The Leer cap I had ordered for my 2014 GMC truck , does not have a flat face meeting the truck rails, the fiberglass over hangs the rail maybe half inch or more to blend with the fender. This makes it very difficult to quickly remove and slide on to a few saw horses or , because you risk damaging that over lap of fiberglass , So if you do buy a cap be prepared to keep it on or be prepared to make a system to protect those edges. The simple time of any a weekend having two guys slide it off and place it on flat surface are not feasible . I made a complex set of 2 x 6 plates with indentations to account that lip and even then I have only removed it once and it was pain !.

post-134143-0-60744900-1432314696.jpg

Edited by Jake56

• 4 years later...

Just purchased a ARE  Classic Model cap to put on my new 2018 Silverado.  Looks good except it overhangs on the side and not flush with bed sides. It must fit different styles of trucks and not made just for my model. If known of this I probably would of went with different model. 

CD4AF59F-45C5-4913-8ABE-4557350A298E.jpeg

Edited by yankeewing

4 hours ago, yankeewing said:

Just purchased a ARE  Classic Model cap to put on my new 2018 Silverado.  Looks good except it overhangs on the side and not flush with bed sides. It must fit different styles of trucks and not made just for my model. If known of this I probably would of went with different model. 

CD4AF59F-45C5-4913-8ABE-4557350A298E.jpeg

They hang over enough to cover the plastic cap on the bed rails. Most of the big name company’s are this way. With the cheaper companies sitting on the cap.