maxed out my payload

Be glad you don't have 3.08 gears like I do. I have a lot of weight in my toolbox, but as I've said on here a lot, I helped haul a love seat with a recliner on both sides and I could feel it. I wouldn't have felt it in my 98 with 3.73 gears with the same stuff in a toolbox.

That's surprising since the 6L80+3.08's has lower gearing than a 4L80+4.10's... Probably the lazy shift points with the K2 trucks.

Wish i got a pic of my 04 z71 beater with close to a pallet of 12" retaining wall stones a few months ago.... a pallet is 3300 lbs. Squatted way low handled terrible..... only had to go 2 miles down a tiny dirt road. Handled it like a champ.

attachicon.gifOverallRatios_zps0aa63534.jpg

I understand ratios, maybe it's my mind thinking it shouldn't have felt it and it did. I really don't know. I do know I want to swap them out for 3.73s or at least 3.42s. It's just a little embarrassing that my old truck with less HP and TQ but has a higher tow rating than my '14.

I think a lot of it is the lousy transmission tuning on GM's part. I get that they had to tune it for fuel economy but would it be so hard to have a sport mode that bumped the shift points up? Ford got that right with the 2015's.

I'm regearing mine soon too. My next setof tires are going to be 33's or bigger. I'mgetting quotes next week for a swap to 3.73 or 4.10's. Yukon 4.10's are cheaper than 3.73's so I'm leaning that way lol.

I think a lot of it is the lousy transmission tuning on GM's part. I get that they had to tune it for fuel economy but would it be so hard to have a sport mode that bumped the shift points up? Ford got that right with the 2015's.

I'm regearing mine soon too. My next setof tires are going to be 33's or bigger. I'mgetting quotes next week for a swap to 3.73 or 4.10's. Yukon 4.10's are cheaper than 3.73's so I'm leaning that way lol.

I know you can just turn on tow/haul mode while raises shift points, but I tried it and it's almost like it was too much so it wasn't helping much. Almost like it was the sweet spot between enough weight to feel but not enough to use tow-haul. I know my '14 has TQ management so maybe that had a little something to do with it. It's almost like it can tow fine, but this truck just felt weight in the bed more than my 98 did. I've hauled a lot of weight in my 98 and once I loaded down the bed while towing a tandem axle Uhaul trailer that was packed top to bottom front to back so I'm pretty sure the towing weight and the combined vehicle weight was over and it handled it all fine and it didn't have tow/haul or anything like that.

I really want 3.73s but can't seem to find anybody that makes 3.73s for the 9.5" 12 bolt. Maybe someone has by now. I wish GM didn't make the diff size 9.76 just for the 6.2 so it would be easy to swap in 3.73s. I also thought about 4.10s because I know that's available for the 9.5" 12 bolt so I may do that just for the hell of it. I don't even plan on lifting the truck, I just hate the 3.08 gears.

Does/has anyone towed with traction control off ?

I have looked thru the owners manual but can't seem to find anything useful.

just wondering if it's a good idea or if it would help in any way while towing

yeah,good to see a truck being worked hard as this is what they were designed for,I have been tempted to put lowering shackles on the back of mine as I like the low level look but I also use mine as a truck and put some heavy loads in the box and also tow a toy hauler so I refrain from doing so as I prefer function over form.

Heh, seeing pics like this make the effort of putting in my self-leveling airbag system all the more worth it! :D

lol yeah I am going to eventually put air bags on it, just had a long list of other things that I wanted to do first. however I am not going to do the on board air compressor b/c in MY OPINION it is not worth the coin. I had air bags on my old truck and I just carried around a bicycle tire pump so when I put a load in there I just used that to air up the bags. they are so small that it takes no time at all to get back level again.

Albeit, having the on board air compressor with the self level would be easier and more convenient I just don't want to spend the money on one.

Yeah, just the bags alone is 90% of the battle. They still work just as well and if you don't need to adjust them often it's not a big deal.

thewhitestallion said:

it squatted quite a bit.

------------------------------------------

Heh. As my father used to say, when loading my mother's generously-sized relatives and their ever-present luggage/gear in the back seat of our 1951 Ford Custom, "Makes it ride like a Big Car!" I suspect he had a '47 Cad or '50 Buick in mind though.

thewhitestallion said:

it squatted quite a bit.

------------------------------------------

Heh. As my father used to say, when loading my mother's generously-sized relatives and their ever-present luggage/gear in the back seat of our 1951 Ford Custom, "Makes it ride like a Big Car!" I suspect he had a '47 Cad or '50 Buick in mind though.

That's nothing. I'm a little over weight but not bad, but it was me, my best friend (which is 400), his wife (which is about 250), his wife's step dad (which is about the same as me) and his wife's aunt (which is about 300). We were all in my best friend's wife's '03 Mustang V6 and that thing had a hard time taking off lol. It was roughly 1.400 lbs inside that car.

I hauled 1.8 tons of gravel in my 2002 Silverado with the 4.8 and I got it to my destination. The downside is I busted both rear shocks and broke one leaf spring! I'll try to find the pic and post it.

Archived