Nagging Issue!

'02" Silverado 5.3, 114K. On first start of the day I get an engine knock for about a minute. Really noticeable in cold weather, but not near as noticeable during the summer. It's been doing it now for over a year but not getting any worse or any other issues. Idea's?

My 2001 yukon xl with the 5.3 has been doing that for years now .. I think it's called piston slap. . I just live with it . It doesn't seem to have an effect on anything. A few of my friends with same truck also had same problem. . I tried a few addatives. And different oil but same thing

My 2001 yukon xl with the 5.3 has been doing that for years now .. I think it's called piston slap. . I just live with it . It doesn't seem to have an effect on anything. A few of my friends with same truck also had same problem. . I tried a few addatives. And different oil but same thing

+1 on this, all LS engines do this, ask Sara (2001 Z28).

On going issue with several GM engines of the early 2000s engines. I didn't ever have a problem with my previous 2006 but my now 2000 have the piston slap similar to what you are describing. After 370k miles the engine is still going so I'm betting it's not hurting, just annoying.

What oil and filter are you using?

Valvoline 5w-30w oil and Purolator filter. Thanks for the replies. I'll keep ignoring it. Winter is the only time it really bothers me.

Archived