Reliability GMC Sierra

Oh my goodness, mine also slips between 2 and 3 periodically and it shifted hard a few times when I first got it. Have you taken yours in for it?

Oh yeah, I've taken it in more than once. Today's service people seem to believe if there is no code, then nothing can be wrong. So I plan to either drive it until something breaks, or look at getting a new truck.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh yeah, I've taken it in more than once. Today's service people seem to believe if there is no code, then nothing can be wrong. So I plan to either drive it until something breaks, or look at getting a new truck.

Ain't that the truth. No code no problem!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ain't that the truth. No code no problem!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, took our 6.0 work box truck in for warranty work the other week because it's missing. They called me and said "there's no codes, we can't seem to identify the issue". HA! What a joke. Give it some effort dumb a**es

Have 25,000 km on the clock and only issue so far has been the paint peeling from the lower doors which is being taken care of by warranty.

I drive a 2007 Tundra at work and reliability has been pretty good. only major problem is the engine let go at about 50k km and warranty didn't cover using over heating as an excuse so company had to pay for that ($15k back in the day) It's just about to turn 240k km and for an oilfield truck that's pretty high.

The reason I didn't purchased Toyota are as follow:

- Toyota is more expensive

- Toyota fuel economy is awful

- I am way more comfortable in a GM truck

- GM has updated techs and mechanicals

- I do drive a lot and GM's warranty covers up to 160k km vs Toyota stops at 100k km

- Always had good service at GM dealers

My truck is a shining example of what k2's will be like with some miles on them. currently at 80,000Km's

-Seat shifting, clamped seat

-Rear brake pads seized causing uneven wear, new brake pads

-Recall on rear window

-Recall on transfer case

-leaking engine oil cooler line, powertrain warranty

-leaking transmission oil cooler line, new cooler line

-leaking valve cover, powertrain warranty

-leaking radiator (passenger top corner) stop leak seems to have fixed it

-P0420 bad catalytic converter, emissions warratnty

-bad mode door actuator, replaced

-clunking/thuding when shifting gears due to weak rear leafs, fixed with leaf clamps

-entire frame rusted with surface rust, had to repaint it

-Both lower ball joints bad with play in them, found out when I went to get an alignment and had to replace them

-Radio touchscreen occasionally stops working, goes black or touch stops working. Pulling fuse fixes it.

My truck is a shining example of what k2's will be like with some miles on them. currently at 80,000Km's

-Recall on rear window

-Recall on transfer case

-clunking/thuding when shifting gears due to weak rear leafs, fixed with leaf clamps

-Both lower ball joints bad with play in them, found out when I went to get an alignment and had to replace them

-Radio touchscreen occasionally stops working, goes black or touch stops working. Pulling fuse fixes it.

Sounds like I should dump mine now lol

The reason I didn't purchased Toyota are as follow:

- Toyota is more expensive

Maybe, it's hard to tell. Even if true you might make back the difference in repairs (unless you have to replace the engine!).

- Toyota fuel economy is awful

Check.

- I am way more comfortable in a GM truck

Check. I've always been very comfortable in every GM I've ever owned. And while I don't own one of the new trucks, I've driven one. And it's not just the seats, GM's design and placement of controls has always seemed ergonomically good.

- GM has updated techs and mechanicals

An anti-feature in my book. I prefer a little conservatism in technology in expensive, complex systems. I'll take the latest and greatest in a phone, but would rather run a generation behind in cars.

Consider Ford's aluminum as an example. I'm sure it will be fine; GM will probably also use it in a few years. But maybe there're some kinks now; I'll give Ford a few years to work them out just in case.

- I do drive a lot and GM's warranty covers up to 160k km vs Toyota stops at 100k km

Check.

- Always had good service at GM dealers

Same here. (But I've never had any sort of dealings at all with Toyota, so can't really compare.)

-Recall on rear window

-Recall on transfer case

There was a contractor here where I work that bought a 14' in late 2013. He is just shy of 100k km and he uses his truck for work, going down shitty oilfield roads lots. He has gone through 3 rads because of rocks kicking up and damaging fins and hoses causing some leaks. He's also had a few recalls but other than that he said it was solid which I was actually happy to hear.

He actually had his underbody coated from the dealer and it looks awesome for going down a lot of muddy roads, salted highways, etc. I know I'll be looking at what he got from the dealer. He has a 6 inch lift on 35s and still manages 16-17 mpg.

It's like Russian roulette with these trucks. Problem free for some, absolute lemons for others. I know guys say "blah blah first new model year blah blah". This is now the 21st century, vehicles come off assembly lines like clockwork and are built identically and more efficiently (relative term I guess) thanks in part to Henry Ford. We shouldn't see a reliability gap like this

Few guys on here that had trucks built in mexico same WEEK as mine (including max tows) have vibration issues, frame wax issues, engine issues, transmission issues, and I have none and I put a respectable 8000 km on in just shy of 2 months. I count my blessings I guess, and I absolutely love the truck so far.

This has nothing to do with reliability but my 2 week old 2015 Sierra has stupid little things wrong. Front wheel well trim has no bolts in them, just holes. Dealer gave me a couple of bolts. The wiring harnesses in the rear were just balled up and stuffed up over the spare tire. It took me about a half an hour untangling them and putting the harness holders in the correct holes up under there. Mexicans must have been a little hung over the day of the build.

This has nothing to do with reliability but my 2 week old 2015 Sierra has stupid little things wrong. Front wheel well trim has no bolts in them, just holes. Dealer gave me a couple of bolts. The wiring harnesses in the rear were just balled up and stuffed up over the spare tire. It took me about a half an hour untangling them and putting the harness holders in the correct holes up under there. Mexicans must have been a little hung over the day of the build.

Patrón hits hard, just saying lol

He has gone through 3 rads because of rocks kicking up and damaging fins and hoses causing some leaks.

I've heard of people making radiator guards out of vinyl Gutter Guard (or similar). They cut the pieces to fit exactly behind the grill and attach at a few points with black wire ties. From pictures, you can hardly see it. Supposedly stops most rocks (and nearly all larger ones) from hitting the radiator.

-Recall on rear window

-Recall on transfer case

You can add another one to my list. Last night my check engine light came on again.

P0446

The same issue that the previous generation trucks had. The purge valve on the gas tank was clogged. Dealership told me I would need to replace it. So I took it out myself and cleaned it. It was completely clogged with dirt. Hopefully the code doesn't come back.

Archived