Reliability GMC Sierra

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea I'll probably end up getting a Sierra. Now should I get the 2015 or wait for the 2016.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Tundra is an excellent truck if you don't worry about fuel cost or creature comforts. If I had to keep a truck for 10 years, I'd probably pick a Tundra. However, a redesign is coming next year, which will hurt resale - always been good on Tundra's because of their long model runs.

In regards to the Consumer Reports and other 3rd party ratings, the Big 3 are hurt badly by their infotainment systems (Sync, MyLink and UConnect) which some of the "more experienced" people who buy the trucks really struggle with. For years Ford ranked very poorly due to Sync, even though it worked pretty well for Gen x and Y'ers because they were used to the Tech.

Mechanically, each truck has had their struggles - Toyota really struggled with driveshafts early on, Ford had Sync and EcoBoost intercooler problems and GM appears to have vibration and transmission items. Overall though, from a mechanical standpoint, they are all very reliable.

Good luck with the purchase

The Tundra is an excellent truck if you don't worry about fuel cost or creature comforts. If I had to keep a truck for 10 years, I'd probably pick a Tundra. However, a redesign is coming next year, which will hurt resale - always been good on Tundra's because of their long model runs.

In regards to the Consumer Reports and other 3rd party ratings, the Big 3 are hurt badly by their infotainment systems (Sync, MyLink and UConnect) which some of the "more experienced" people who buy the trucks really struggle with. For years Ford ranked very poorly due to Sync, even though it worked pretty well for Gen x and Y'ers because they were used to the Tech.

Mechanically, each truck has had their struggles - Toyota really struggled with driveshafts early on, Ford had Sync and EcoBoost intercooler problems and GM appears to have vibration and transmission items. Overall though, from a mechanical standpoint, they are all very reliable.

Good luck with the purchase

Ford struggleS with Sync becuase it SUCKS. It is an asbolute abomination and I am in the "Gen X" category. The v3 Sync product, based on the QNX kernel (no more Microsoft) should have significantly improved reliability. If they don't fix the overall way that they're architecting the interface software, however, it's still going to be a poor performer.

Tundra excels at towing. That's it. And that crap about "towing the Space Shuttle" is a scam - marketing crap at its best. It towed that trailer over a single overpass and the truck was locked in 4WD lo-range to do it - it was the only way it could develop the torque.

not to mention Toyotas c-channel frame..... I think Toyota actually believes that it's a good thing if a frame of a truck twist....

my personal opinion on the Toyotas are they are ugly on the outside and the interior is plain, mainly the dash set up. tons of room on the inside though but it also has the shortest box out of 1/2 ton trucks.

I don't even understand why people look at the Tundra's. The new trucks from GM, Ford and Dodge blow them out of the water in every category.

The money from those trucks stays in the USA unlike junk toyota. My wife was die hard toyota before we got married and I told her it will be a cold day in hell before we have a Toyota in our driveway, but then again I'm a union steel worker and buy as much made in the USA as possible and as for reliability toyota isn't what it was 10 or more years ago, my wife's 06 rav 4 had 90k on it and the tranny was slipping like crazy and she babied it. Plus why the hell would you buy a pickup with toy in the brand?

The money from those trucks stays in the USA unlike junk toyota. My wife was die hard toyota before we got married and I told her it will be a cold day in hell before we have a Toyota in our driveway, but then again I'm a union steel worker and buy as much made in the USA as possible and as for reliability toyota isn't what it was 10 or more years ago, my wife's 06 rav 4 had 90k on it and the tranny was slipping like crazy and she babied it. Plus why the hell would you buy a pickup with toy in the brand?

Let's steer away from this subject. Have already had to lock a thread few weeks back for people taking the whole thing out of proportion.

Back on topic

The only thing that has been holding me back about buying GMC is the reliability. It has gotten pretty terrible reliability ratings from Consumer Reports, True Delta, and JD.

[...]

How is GM to work with if I have issues (Ford is terrible)?

Determining reliability is all about getting the data for proper statistics. Only the manufacturers really have the data--the best you can get as a consumer is from sources like the ones you've listed. You won't get better data here or on any other forum. (As for my statistically worthless personal experience, my least reliable vehicles have been GM and I've never owned a Toyota.)

As for how good GM is to deal with if you have issues, I have always had good experiences with them. But I've also had good experiences with Ford. I expect that this depends more on the dealership than the manufacturer.

Edit: One other thing. I'm starting to believe more and more in the practice of buying the mid-model refresh version (of any vehicle). The manufacturer has a chance to get it right on the second go. I'm not sure if the 2016s are enough of a change to believe that they are the MMR for the current trucks. Third year in seems to be one year too soon for a MMR.

Both manufacturers will have good and bad trucks produced. I really haven't been impressed with the reliability of my 14' Silverado with regards to the transmission. It's just like a hormonal woman. One day it's shifts perfectly and the next it's clunking into second, slipping between 2 and 3, or just can't figure out what gear it wants to be in. When it shifts well, I love the truck. When it becomes hormonal I start thinking of how to get rid of it. I'm really not a fan of the infotainment system either. It just feels like a first generation system, and GM refuses to provide updates for it. Ford at least lets you update its Sync system at home. I had an 08' Sierra and loved it though. It drove perfect with regards to engine and transmission. I also had 10' F150 and loved it. Whatever you get, test drive it as long as you can to be sure it's a good one.

Both manufacturers will have good and bad trucks produced. I really haven't been impressed with the reliability of my 14' Silverado with regards to the transmission. It's just like a hormonal woman. One day it's shifts perfectly and the next it's clunking into second, slipping between 2 and 3, or just can't figure out what gear it wants to be in. When it shifts well, I love the truck. When it becomes hormonal I start thinking of how to get rid of it. I'm really not a fan of the infotainment system either. It just feels like a first generation system, and GM refuses to provide updates for it. Ford at least lets you update its Sync system at home. I had an 08' Sierra and loved it though. It drove perfect with regards to engine and transmission. I also had 10' F150 and loved it. Whatever you get, test drive it as long as you can to be sure it's a good one.

Oh my goodness, mine also slips between 2 and 3 periodically and it shifted hard a few times when I first got it. Have you taken yours in for it?

Archived