2015 Silverado ticking noise coming from bottom of engine

I bought a 2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71 Crew Cab 4X4 with the 5.3 engine. I've had it a week and have noticed a ticking noise that sounds like it is coming from underneath the truck at the bottom of the engine. I noticed it two days after I bought the truck but didn't think anything about it. I thought it was normal noise from the engine until I heard another new 2015 running. I can not hear it while driving down the road and the engine runs and feels great. I can only hear it when it is sitting still idling. It doesn't matter if the engine is cold or warm, it happens either way. It doesn't sound like the lifters as I believe they would be heard more from the top of the engine. Any thoughts?

• Like 2

They are a bit noisy. Normal noises include:

Information For Why New Engine Technologies Are Generating Noises

The latest generation of full size trucks and utilities incorporate a new generation of technologies not previously seen in full size truck and utility applications. As a result these engines generate noises during cold start and during warm operation that owners of previous generation multiport fuel injection (MFI) vehicles may not be familiar with.

Direct Injection (DI) / High Pressure Fuel Pump / Fuel Injectors

The new Small Block Generation 5 engine family incorporates a new fuel system technology known as Direct Injection (DI). With DI, fuel is injected directly into the cylinder using a high pressure fuel system. DI provides many benefits in improving engine efficiency. In particular, DI improves power, torque, and most importantly fuel efficiency. This technology is included as standard equipment on all Generation 5 engines in the Small Block engine family which are the: 4.3L V6, 5.3L V8, and 6.2L V8.

The high pressure fuel system does have unique operating characteristics, in particular the noise emanating from the high pressure fuel pump can result in a subtle ticking noise that is apparent when the vehicle is idling. The sound is more evident when outside around the vehicle, when the hood is open or the vehicle is operated in a drive-through. The sound may be more noticeable during a cold start, but lessens once the engine is warm. A slightly higher pitched clicking sound is the fuel injectors pulsing ON and OFF under the high fuel pressures. These sounds are a normal characteristics of the DI high pressure fuel system.

Another operating characteristic is a slightly longer crank time when the engine is started. The increased crank time is the result of the time required to build high pressure in the fuel system before the engine starts.

Oil Pump Cold Start Rrrrp or Rasp

The oil pump design has changed from a gerotor gear type pump to a two speed vane type pump for fuel economy reasons. At temperatures of 32°F (0°C) or colder, when the engine has been sitting for a few hours it is possible to have air enter the pump through normal oil drainback. Upon startup the owner may hear a short Rrrrp or Rasp coming from the front of the engine. It is most often heard during a remote start. There is nothing wrong with the oil pump or oil system. No repairs should be attempted for this condition.

On the not so normal noises, we did have to replace the vacuum pump on a 2014. Truck sounded like it had a lifter tick. You could hear it from the front of the engine, drivers side. I told him to cut the belt, noise stopped. I have heard other trucks do it as well.

• Like 1

I have heard small exhaust leaks present themselves as a tick sounding noise. Since you are mentioning it coming from the bottom, might be something to investigate.

Edited by Graphic
  • Like 1

Thank you guys for replying to my question. Forums like this are a great tool for people to use to help each other out. This is my first Chevrolet to own. I previously had a Nissan Titan and before that a Toyota. I took the truck in this morning and the service manager listened to it and told me it was the Direct Injectors that what was making the noise. He said he gets two to three new 2015 owners come in a week asking about the noise. He said no need to worry.

Yes the noises you are hearing are from the direct injection system and nothing to worry about. Mine sounds like it's coming from underneath the truck as well but I think it's because the hood muffles the sound when it's closed. If you open the hood, you'll hear the ticking more clearly from the engine bay instead of underneath the truck.

I thought it was normal noise from the engine until I heard another new 2015 running.

He said no need to worry.

I discounted the injectors because of your first post. I am wary of your second post. Might listen to a counple more to confirm it sounds like the others. Mine ticked too. Odd sound but you get used to it.

• 4 months later...

On the not so normal noises, we did have to replace the vacuum pump on a 2014. Truck sounded like it had a lifter tick. You could hear it from the front of the engine, drivers side. I told him to cut the belt, noise stopped. I have heard other trucks do it as well.

I have a 2015 Silverado 1500 and have a ticking noise louder than just the standard injector tick. I pulled the engine skid guard off and found this:

https://goo.gl/photos/tjY5L7pLXUdeWMZw5

I think its the vacuum booster and I have an appointment tomorrow at the dealership.

I have a 2015 Silverado 1500 and have a ticking noise louder than just the standard injector tick. I pulled the engine skid guard off and found this:

https://goo.gl/photos/tjY5L7pLXUdeWMZw5

I think its the vacuum booster and I have an appointment tomorrow at the dealership.

Yeppers. Looks like the three we've changed out. And that vacuum pump sounds damn near the same as an intermittent lifter tick.

Edited by 15HDriver
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a nee Sierra a year ago. I have 26,000 miles on it and yesterday i started it to leave work and there was a very loud ticking. Checked the oil and it was a quart low. Drove to napa and bought correct oil, added it and still ticking. Sounds to me like its a lifter or valve. Took it to the dealer and they listened to it. I have to take it back today after work and leave it. They want to hear what it sounds like on cold start up. All I have to say is that it wasnt making that noise before!

• 10 months later...

I purchased a used 2015 Chevy Silverado LTZ Z71 Off Road, 5.3L, from a local dealership in the middle of January 2017 with 21400 miles, now 22800 mile. I never noticed the noise while driving the truck but when I was out of the cab with it running it sounds like it's more than a minor ticking noise. I took it back to get it checked out and the Service Manager at the Dealership said it was normal, took them a week to tell me that.

I'm not a mechanic but I'm having a difficult time with their analysis so I recorded the noise for others to listen to - https://goo.gl/photos/uof3kuzJuJ2y7sns6

I'm at a loss and this is a sound that shouldn't be coming from any vehicle with less than 25000 miles. Another thing is that I have noticed that the oil pressure shows 30lbs when warm and idling.

When I test drove my 17 a few weeks ago I heard a ticking that sounded like it was coming from under the driver's side front door area. It was more noticeable next to a wall or another vehicle.

The salesman claimed it was normal and the way the newer engines sounded. I wasn't satisfied until I had him start another new truck. It was the same. I drove down to the Sierra dealership and drove a few new ones and they all had the same noise.

I notice it the most when I pull through my local credit union drive through or a similar area where the sound bounces.

• 6 months later...

I'm hearing the ticking sound but from the passenger side of the engine. I also hear a slight whine from the engine from inside the cabin while accelerating onto the highway. Due to that "whine" sound, I felt comfortable thinking that it was the belt and at 62K miles like what I have now would be a good time to check it. What are your opinions? I never heard the ticking sound until recently. It honestly has me concerned. Started about a week ago.