2015 Silverado ticking noise coming from bottom of engine

direct injection (in all the 2014+ engines) also has a slight ticking noise at idle. You can hear it when you are next to a wall. It is very feint.

JC

I hear mine loud and clear especially from inside the cabin while accelerating. It sounds like an old sewing machine. It never had that noise before about a week ago and I'm at 62K miles.

ok update....

Went to a local mechanic that I know and trust. When I described the noise of the whine associated with the louder ticking noise that has developed he told me that it's most likely not the belt but the belt might have to be looked at just in case. It's most likely a pulley with a bad bearing. I'm going to get my oil done this friday and have him look at it. I'll provide any updates.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/15/2017 at 4:03 PM, th3r00st3r said:

I have a 2016 Silverado LT. I took a video of this noise in October 2017

And again last night. This doesn't seem to me like a DI issue. I have to take it in for an oil change next week and will have them look at it then. 

Is the noise louder from the driver side wheel wheel vs the passenger side? I have a similar sound and I think it's coming form the vacuum pump.

13 hours ago, gone_fishing said:

Is the noise louder from the driver side wheel wheel vs the passenger side? I have a similar sound and I think it's coming form the vacuum pump.

It is louder on the driver side as far as I can tell. I had an oil change done on Sat. and it seems to have quieted down. I am off all next week and will take it down to the dealer to check out.

25 minutes ago, th3r00st3r said:

It is louder on the driver side as far as I can tell. I had an oil change done on Sat. and it seems to have quieted down. I am off all next week and will take it down to the dealer to check out.

Thank you for the update. The noise I heard on my Sierra almost seemed louder after driving for a extended period. I'm going to try to record it both cold start and warm.

27 minutes ago, gone_fishing said:

Thank you for the update. The noise I heard on my Sierra almost seemed louder after driving for a extended period. I'm going to try to record it both cold start and warm.

That's what I experienced as well. It was quit on startup, but as I drove throughout the day, it got louder. That's the opposite of what I have been reading on here when it comes to the DI.

• 2 months later...

I stopped at 3 different GM dealerships this morning (non of them is the one I am buying form).

1st one said that's the GM sound, due to the direct injection, and it's normal.

2nd said that the high pressure fuel pump makes that sound, and it is normal.

3rd said that it is the sound of the newer 5.3's, and that I could try a heavier, conventional weight oil, because they are using that oil to save gas only.  But it's the normal sound. 

• 2 months later...

Bumping this topic because I am suffering from a VERY loud whine in Park and 1st gear compared to a new Silverado with my same engine. My ticking is super bad too. Much louder than any other truck 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Found a fix for this. It's been months since I brought it home. It has been since day one after a few hundred miles that this noise has been there. Finally climbed under the truck to look. Then I lifted the carpet. 

I found there is a wire (not sure yet what it goes to) that enters from under the carpet below the left rug mount towards the seat. I first moved the wire so it was routed differently because it was causing a lump under the mat that was uncomfortable. I then put a piece of DynaMat over this to seal the grommet and wrapped the wire so there was no "air gap" to allow sound to penetrate. 

The sound has dropped dramatically. It is still very faint. I found the ticking is from the DI or valve train that reverberates down under the truck past the transmission/transfer case. The sound would then come through this grommet and enter the cabin. Now that there is dynamat over this, the sound is no longer as loud (hardly notable). I only had a tiny piece of dynamat so I will order a few square feet of off-brand to put a few layers on top and one under the truck. That should eliminate ALL of the ticking sounds. 

I am stoked! The truck finally feels "new" again.