Whipple or Magnusson supercharger for SierraDenali 6.2?

Hey guys, looking into supercharging my truck. Had a Magnusson on my 2003 Mustang Cobra but not sure what I want to go with for the truck. Any thoughts? Also, may sound like a dumb question, but do I have to turn AFM off in the tune or will it continue to fuction with the supercharged engine? I actually would like to keep it.

Thanks!

https://whipplesuperchargers.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=180

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whippel. Always had good luck with them, and imo best bang for your buck. Not the cheapest option, but when your charging this truck once why cheap out for a $1000. Best bet for the AFM question would be to talk to whoever is going to tune the truck. I wouldn't keep it personally, how much do you think it's going to be in V4 mode when your charging it?

Thanks guys. I ruled out the procharger right off the bat - not because of performance. I know it will provide the biggest cost/performance bang for the buck. but I absolutely hate the sound. It literally sounds like a tumbler full of rocks even at idle. Some love it, I hate it.

I was also leaning toward Whipple, but it does have a bit of whistle or whine even when not under boost. I got hear a number of these in the mustang circles when I had one. That said I know they are excellent superchargers that deliver quality and performance. The price doesn't scare me off because I know what you get for the money.

Magnusson is stock on the Fords and the quality is also very good. What I love about the Maggies is that it is nearly silent until you hit the throttle - and then you hear the whine and it is awesome!

Haven't had much experience yet with the Edelbrocks.

With respect to AFM, I do believe that I would be OUT of boost as much as I am in it. I have had boosted cars before, and while it is fun to hammer down every now and again, most of the time it's just nice knowing the power is there when you need it. :)

I am hoping I can find some on here that have some experience supercharging these beasts!

I also am trying to get the installation manual so I can see what will be involved as I intend on installing myself. Anyone know where I can get one? I have already emailed Magnusson and Whipple.

You do know the procharger has an optional helical gear set that make it silent right??

I didn't know that, thanks for the info. I assume it does not remain silent under boost - correct?

Yup, just reviewed several videos and the procharger is definitely out. Just can't handle that noise. Some like it - I am just not one of them :)

Like you said some like it some dont. I have head it in person and it sounds like an alternator that is going bad lol

Personally im going with a whipple when the budget permits. I jusf love the look of the blower and they have about the highest advertised horsepower and like the Maggie easy to pully down for more boost.

I wish it would whine like a kenne bell mammoth tho.... But sleeper is nice :)

Archived