Katzkin Leather Upgrade

Anybody have before and after pics of the leather tightening? The freshly installed pics of the baggy leather don't look right, and I'm curious about how much the leather actually tightens up over time.

I don't have any pics to post, but I just finished an install. I'm a bit OCD and was unhappy with the way it fit at first. I started with the back seats after my first attempt I took them out of the truck and did it again. One tip is to buy a roll of 1" wide velcro, you'll need it for the underside of the back seats. They don't have any hooks or clips to keep the material tight, so without the velcro to hold the bottom to the metal frame, it'll look baggy. Second tip, do NOT cut large holes around the head rest posts (the back come out easily, the front seats don't), the material will stretch over or around anything.

Now, the key to the factory looking finish is where the time comes in. You have to heat the leather with a steamer or a heat gun. A hair dryer will also work. You have to do each panel individually. Put your hand next to the leather your heating, when your hand can't take the heat, you're done. That doesn't mean you'll have to go back, you just don't want to burn it. As you heat the leather, you'll also be heating the foam and you can work the two together on the edges to get it nice and tight. My interior came out as tight as factory leather and looks killer. Overall, the complete install took 10 hrs... this was my first time ever and includes redoing the back seats.

So, my advice is, do one seat at a time start to finish. Take the cloth off carefully as not break the plastic clips that hold the seat cover on. The day before you do it the work, unpack everything and try to lay it out to get the folds from shipping out of the leather. Take you time heating the leather and work the foam as much as you can to fill out the seats.

PM me if you want any advice. It's time consuming but worth every penny!

Edited by derailed
  • Like 2

Here are mine after a couple weeks. Not warm here yet though, I expect them to get a bit tighter still.

I love the feel and smell of these seats.

Mostly just me in the truck.

f83f80e5e161995614a1395901a24514.jpg

af4082d43b02f6f2056a808a7a6c0f48.jpg

Sent from Tapatalk App - Samsung S6

• Like 3

It looks like all the kits you can buy online come pre made with the perforated inserts. For the guys that have the perforated seats what are your thoughts on how they would hold up over time compared to regular leather inserts? I am afraid they would be harder to keep clean and will pick over time.

It looks like all the kits you can buy online come pre made with the perforated inserts. For the guys that have the perforated seats what are your thoughts on how they would hold up over time compared to regular leather inserts? I am afraid they would be harder to keep clean and will pick over time.

I have a 2008 with Katzkin leather with perforated seats, the car is 8 years old and has 180K... leather still looks great!!

I ordered the kit on eBay the other day we will see how it goes. My wife's expedition has perforated leather seats and they are doing good so I went for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

Read on amazon that only the front seats are leather. Is this true?

UPDATE

Looks like its a combo of leather and vinyl.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

As per Katskinz themselves, and Automotive Styling Center here in Vancouver who do the installs, and have been doing custom interiors for like 30 years, Yes, the rear seats are vinyl, as are the sides and backs of the front seats.

Edited by Cooldaddygroove

No disrespect to the original poster, but you will notice a very big difference in the fit of the finished product when it is done professionally. Here is my 2015 SLE RCSB that I had perforated Katskinz installed a week after I bought the truck 2 weeks ago. Tight!

3sAQLZs.jpg

j383HKx.jpg

kGxX7um.jpg

Edited by Cooldaddygroove
  • Like 1

No disrespect to the original poster, but you will notice a very big difference in the fit of the finished product when it is done professionally. Here is my 2015 SLE RCSB that I had perforated Katskinz installed a week after I bought the truck 2 weeks ago. Tight!

3sAQLZs.jpg

j383HKx.jpg

kGxX7um.jpg

Ya I must say, those seats look real good for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

As per Katskinz themselves, and Automotive Styling Center here in Vancouver who do the installs, and have been doing custom interiors for like 30 years, Yes, the rear seats are vinyl, as are the sides and backs of the front seats.

That sucks.

The back seat is the same as the front leather ass and back. Which is fine with me the vinyl will wear better on the front seats for the getting in and out. As for the back seat. It will be easier to clean. I have a two And five year old. So I guess to each his own. I haven't had time to install yet but they feel great in the box lol

• Like 1

The back seat is the same as the front leather ass and back. Which is fine with me the vinyl will wear better on the front seats for the getting in and out. As for the back seat. It will be easier to clean. I have a two And five year old. So I guess to each his own. I haven't had time to install yet but they feel great in the box lol

Ok now that makes a bit more sense. I'm with you on that one. I'd really like some katzkin leather seats for Christmas!!