Still Raking

My stock rear fender well measurements were 4 inches above the front before I touched anything. I leveled the front up 2 inches. Has anybody used 2 inch drop shackles in the rear to completely level these trucks? What's weird is that my 2005 Chevy HD only came with a 2 inch factory rake, not a 4 inch. I'm assuming some people on here might just do a 4 inch front lift and leave the rear stock??

My stock rear fender well measurements were 4 inches above the front before I touched anything. I leveled the front up 2 inches. Has anybody used 2 inch drop shackles in the rear to completely level these trucks? What's weird is that my 2005 Chevy HD only came with a 2 inch factory rake, not a 4 inch. I'm assuming some people on here might just do a 4 inch front lift and leave the rear stock??

Tons of guys using 2in. drop shackles and adding about 5 turns of the torsion bars to get the truck level.

Are the 2in drop shackles a true 2in? Since I already lifted the front I wouldn't want to have to bring it back down any. Years ago I used to run my lifted trucks higher in the front, but I'm over that now.

I just did the drop shackles and have around 1.5" of rake left. I like it like that. Nice subtle rake, not pancake flat and not nose diving into the ground.

I almost wished I would have done this first before messing with the front end. I'm guessing my new tires would have cleared stock height. Do you have a pic?

Are the 2in drop shackles a true 2in? Since I already lifted the front I wouldn't want to have to bring it back down any. Years ago I used to run my lifted trucks higher in the front, but I'm over that now.

They are a little more than 2" if maxed out. I like that they are adjustable and you can increase the rake by 1" if you ever wanted to add a little rake without going back stock.

I agree about the trucks and not wanting to go higher and higher. I did level my 2014 1500, but they aren't that high anyway. On this truck, lowering the rear of the truck made the most sense to me and it's so much easier to load and unload anything in the bed. Even with the 36' TT hooked up, it barely goes much below level in the rear.

I am in the back end, shackle lowering crowd also. Just enough rake now on my 2015 2500 Z71 to look like a pickup and not looking like a cat in heat as it came from the factory. Thanks to the Army and getting older now, I am a beat up old war horse that has enough trouble getting in and out of the back end. The lowering of the back with the McGaughy's 2" drop shackles was perfect and it is sooo much easier to climb in and out of back there now. And I haven't noticed it as being a negative even when loading up the back end. 2500's don't squat under a load near as bad as a 1500 does. Even though mine has the snow plow prep package, I have not had any desire to fiddle with the front end. Does just fine as it is for the off road pasture, crop fields, farm terraces, and draws that I take it thru.

I didn't take this pic some time ago to give the greatest perspective of the back end drop I had done, but it does give a reasonable idea of how it looks with the 2" McGaughy's drop shackles I used to do it.

post-122677-0-97209900-1453573353_thumb.jpg

I personally like a little rake so they level out when towing. They seem to tow so much better when the rear end isn't sagging. For you guys that level, do you get the rear end sagging when hooking a moderately heavy trailer up?

Well, I don't really tow much, but I do throw a lot on the back from time to time. More than a 1500 would deal with. The 2500's don't have near the squat factor under a load as the 1500's do. Hence, that is why a weight distributing hitch is not required even for maximum towing weights. Even with the 2" drop, I can throw in about 1800 lb of oil drums and such and there is only a slight sag in the back. I don't think that even with the 2" drop, and a gross load in the back, it would be anything near what one experiences with a 1500 under full load. As the picture shows, mine still has a slight rake even after the 2" drop in the back, probably because I felt no need to mess with the front. At least it doesn't look like I am petting my cat anymore.

Archived