2016 whine noise

Bought a 2016 1500 Sierra CC with 6.2 8 speed and max trailing with 3.42. The next day after driving it home I noticed a whine noise between 40 and 60 mph. The noise speeds up and slows down with speed. Below 40 I can't really hear it and once over 60 there's too much road noise to tell. I've read a few things on here about transmission whine and rearend whine. I don't think it's the transmission but I'm having a tough time pinpointing exactly where the noise is coming from. It kind of sounds like it's in the right front but I can't be positive. Just wondering if anyone else is having something similar or has any suggestions on what to check. My first thought is I'd like to put it on a lift and run it to try and locate the source.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My 16 sounds like it's doing the same you described.

Almost like engine noise right ? Maybe from rear or maybe trans ? At first oil change I'll have to give the Forman a ride just to be sure it's not normal. Lol

If the truck is brand new, give it a week. If it keeps up, take it to the dealer

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

This is not sort of thing that gets better with more miles. It gets worse because it is the result of improper differential gear adjustment or poor quality differential gears, or both.

My 16 sounds like it's doing the same you described.

Almost like engine noise right ? Maybe from rear or maybe trans ? At first oil change I'll have to give the Forman a ride just to be sure it's not normal. Lol

I thought maybe it was coming from the engine because it sounded like it's coming from the front but if I take it out of gear and basically let it idle while coasting it still makes the noise so I don't believe it's the engine. To me it kind of sounds like a bearing that's just starting to go bad but the sound doesn't change when you turn the wheel back and forth. My uncle bought the same exact truck the following week and his doesn't have the noise so something is not quite right. There was I believe a bulletin about transmission whine at one point but you'd think that fix would be rolled into production by now. I'm gonna have to make an appointment to see if they can figure out what's going on hopefully. I can almost guarantee they'll say they can't duplicate the noise based on my past experience with my 2015 and saying everything was operating as designed with the transmission even though the thing studdered into the next gears and going up inclines like you wouldn't believe. Seriously they couldn't feel the whole truck shaking. For an almost $60k truck this thing should be flawless. I know nothing is perfect but this day and age things should be better than they are.

This is not sort of thing that gets better with more miles. It gets worse because it is the result of improper differential gear adjustment or poor quality differential gears, or both.

Exactly that's why I wanted to ask others to see if I'm not the only one. Just gotta get it in and have it looked at asap.

I'm dealing with the same noise issue on my 2016 GMC 1500 Sierra. It has 2,700 miles on it. Been to the dealer last week They had the truck for four days and all GM would do is to tell me to drive the truck and put more miles on it. Was

instructed to bring it back for a "inspection" if it get worse. The service manager and writer both heard the noise too. Well to say the least I am a very unhappy GM customer right now! I don't even know what to do next. If I take it back

their going to just tell me the same thing.

It definitely sounds similar to a tire noise. Like the noise you'd have if you had a more aggressive tread pattern. These tires are the Goodyear Eagles. I had the same tires on my 2013 and never got this sound. Also the little I've ridden in my uncles identical 2016 I haven't heard the same sound in his. You make a good point though that gets me thinking about the tires. Easy enough to prove if we don't hear any noise while it's running on the lift. Have they had trouble with this particular tire before?

It gets worse because it is the result of improper differential gear adjustment or poor quality differential gears, or both.

The first time I heard what was described as a whine in my vehicle, it was determined to be improper differential gear adjustment and poor quality differential gears. It got worse with time. Ended-up changing the rear differential and it happened again. Traded the vehicle before warranty expiration. Wish for tire noise

Tire noise and differential whine are completely different noises. Noisy tires tend to make steady humming noise which increases in level with speed. Differential whine is higher pitch whining noise that seems to be most pronounced in 40 to 50MPH range. Often it occurs only while the differential is under load, i.e. your foot on the gas pedal, sometimes only while coasting (foot off the gas pedal). The latter case is of course less annoying because most of the time the differential is under load.

It definitely sounds similar to a tire noise. Like the noise you'd have if you had a more aggressive tread pattern. These tires are the Goodyear Eagles. I had the same tires on my 2013 and never got this sound. Also the little I've ridden in my uncles identical 2016 I haven't heard the same sound in his. You make a good point though that gets me thinking about the tires. Easy enough to prove if we don't hear any noise while it's running on the lift. Have they had trouble with this particular tire before?

I have a whine that speeds up ad slows down with speed. Very faint.

Dealer said it's the tires. The good year SRAS are crap.

I notice that it's worse the colder the tires are. If I'm doing a ton of highway driving to the point the tires are warm it disapates.

Never heard when I bought the truck, but it was 60-70 degreees.

I started to hear of it when Temps dropped into the 20s.

Archived