Oil smells like gas

I also use Mobil 1. The 0W-20. Just changed it last week, and as it was draining I swore it smelled like gas. Just so happened that oil went to Blackstone for analysis. Not a trace of gas in the oil. Oil had a little over 6,000 miles on it.

If there is, I wouldn't know. Any of this relevant, couldn't tell you that either.

I don't baby it, but I don't drive it like an idiot either. I don't let it idle more than a minute at startup. I've never disabled AFM. My 80 miles a day are 50/50 stop and go, and turnpike speeds. Fairly certain my rings are well seated from breakin.

I have had Blackstone run a few UOA's on my Sierra now. None of them have showed any measurable fuel in the sample. I haven't really noticed any fuel smells when changing the oil either. Most of my driving is highway which gives the oil a chance to warm up and burn off any potential fuel. I've always heard that vehicles that do mostly short tripping without any longer highway drives are more susceptible to fuel dilution.

UOA_9-9-15_zpsnsnbxlbk.jpg

• Like 2

gone_fishing, thanks for posting your oil report. That's some good info and a good baseline for me. Would you recommend I send my current oil with a little over 1k miles on it to Blackstone or my old factory oil with 2k on it?

Factory fill UOA usually show a lot of metals due to brake in. Silicon levels are usually really high due to silicone sealers. I wouldn't bother since it really doesn't tell you much. The 2nd oil change will usually be a little closer to normal but still high due to break in. If you have 1k on your current oil I would just wait till you change it if you want to send a sample in. Besides my UOAs, I have looked at few other Ecotec3 UOAs over at BITOG and they all look pretty good after 7k miles (no fuel dilution or anything series popping up).

• 3 years later...

Sorry to drag up an old post, but I just sent a sample out to blackstone. 2014 5.3L Sierra 1500 L83 @ 97K miles. My question is, when the results come back, is ANY gasoline considered a problem? Or at what percentage are we saying it is too high that we need to start looking for a fuel system cause? Thanks, Chris.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2020 at 1:36 PM, FishinDVM said:

Sorry to drag up an old post, but I just sent a sample out to blackstone. 2014 5.3L Sierra 1500 L83 @ 97K miles. My question is, when the results come back, is ANY gasoline considered a problem? Or at what percentage are we saying it is too high that we need to start looking for a fuel system cause? Thanks, Chris.

If there is fuel smell in your oil on these trucks, check it after it’s been sitting and see if it’s higher on the dip stick than it’s supposed to. The high pressure fuel pump leaks fuel into the oil when they go out. It sits sight underneath the intake manifold. If that’s the case you will need to have the HP fuel pump replaced. 

• Like 1

On 1/25/2020 at 10:19 AM, Pierce Vaughn said:

If there is fuel smell in your oil on these trucks, check it after it’s been sitting and see if it’s higher on the dip stick than it’s supposed to. The high pressure fuel pump leaks fuel into the oil when they go out. It sits sight underneath the intake manifold. If that’s the case you will need to have the HP fuel pump replaced. 

^^^This^^^

There is a known issue with the HP fuel pump leaking into the engine oil. 

• Like 1

Here's an old oil analysis I had done when my oil smelled strongly of fuel.  Seems like winter time has high fuel dilution because my truck doesn't warm up well and summer is fine.  I have started to ignore the OLM, as long as I'm not approaching 0% and change my oil in Nov. and March (Only do about 7k miles/year).  Try to get the fuel out of there before I start towing in the spring.  Both samples I have sent in after winter have high fuel.  Sample at end of summer and 5k miles is perfect.

This is an interesting topic..... I’ve smelled small traces of fuel in my oil as well during OCI’s, does it mean I should have my fuel pump checked for possible contamination??

Sent from Above