Wiring a CB radio

I am looking to install a cb/ham radio with a 375 watt kicker. I am concerned about the wattage output affecting my 2014 Silverado 1500 electrical system. I have a TSB about installing TX radios and question whether or not this wattage output will cause problems with the trucks electrical circuits. I have already consulted a dealer and he stated that he could not give me any advise on ANY aftermarket products period. Well the radio is going in the truck period. I have had no problems with the radio installed in my 99 Suburban and everything worked as it should. However, I have been reading TSB's on this newer electrical system on the 2014's and basically it states that it is very sensitive and must be done correctly or weird and bad things can happen.

I have included the TSB I have downloaded and wanted to know if anyone has a similiar wattage transceiver installed in their 2014 Silverado 1500 and if you encountered any problems, how you ran the power wires and antenna cable, where you hooked the 12 wire to (battery direct or terminals under the battery cover) needed 2 batteries or just one (I had 2 in the Suburban with a specially made 200 amp alternator) and what type antenna you used ( magnetic or permenant) ?

I have a 25 watt radio with a High Drive linear that will swing to about 375 watts and plan to run a Wilson 5000 magnetic mount on the roof although I would rather have a through the roof hole mount but am not drilling holes in a new truck or a bed mount but I have a cap. All powered with 8 gauge wire that was recommended from a CB shop.

In reading the Service Bulletin it specifies where to run the 12v wire along with the antenna cable a certain way. However I really do not want to run 25ish feet of power wire clear around the radiator and back inside the cab. My battery is on the passenger side and really don't see why I can't just run it direct into the passenger side of the cab as long as I keep it away from the antenna cable.

Any help or advise would be more than appreciated. Thanks members.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4_1.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9_1.jpg

Serious responses only please. Thanks Again !!

Hello sir,

I am not an expert here... But here my observations:

The car schematics are ambiguous. As long as your wires are well insulated I don't see how there is going to be an issue with rf interference with the oem equipment or yours.

I have to ask why you need 8g wire to power this thing though. What is its consumption? Most 100w self amplified head units are powered by 10/12g stranded wire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I did have 10g wire in my other truck and everything was good. When I took my equipment to a CB shop for a tune up I was asking them questions. One question was "What gauge wire should I use for the radio and the kicker ?" Immediately the guy answered "8 Gauge."

I'm just going off the advise I was given. I do know when I had this in my older pre 90's truck I had to rev up the engine a bit when I keyed the mic and the lights on my moon visor would flicker with the loudness of my voice. It is a pretty powerful unit but I never measured the amp draw.

Well I did have 10g wire in my other truck and everything was good. When I took my equipment to a CB shop for a tune up I was asking them questions. One question was "What gauge wire should I use for the radio and the kicker ?" Immediately the guy answered "8 Gauge."

I'm just going off the advise I was given. I do know when I had this in my older pre 90's truck I had to rev up the engine a bit when I keyed the mic and the lights on my moon visor would flicker with the loudness of my voice. It is a pretty powerful unit but I never measured the amp draw.

An amp should definitely use more... Amps that I've installed in the past that are 200/400watts would use 4g from a power distribution block.

I just don't imagine you would need that big of a wire unless it's moving a lot of electricity. The significance is that it's less rf to mess with electrical components.

An amp should definitely use more... Amps that I've installed in the past that are 200/400watts would use 4g from a power distribution block.

I just don't imagine you would need that big of a wire unless it's moving a lot of electricity. The significance is that it's less rf to mess with electrical components.

I think I am confused. You stated you used 4 gauge wire for a 400watt. I have a so to say 400 watt amp and was told to uses 8 although I used to use 10. Isn't 4 gauge twice the size of 8g ? I'm not sure what you are trying to make me understand, sorry.

I do plan to come right off the battery to a terminal strip with 12v breakers where I can tap into that for other accessories.

wire%20gauge.jpg

So do you think 10g is enough or would you use 8g if it were you ?

Can a power supply wire (12v) mess with rf ?

I'm planning on running the antenna wire behind the cab away from the engine compartment but still wonder about the amp being on the center hump close to the fire wall and a Body Control Module is under the dash and one near the drivers seat.

If I used the highest shielded coax I can find do you think that would be what I need ?

Just asking for your opinion if you have done this sort of work before and read the TSB I posted above.

Thanks

before you installed your amp / radio - check your local 2-way radio shop (police , fire) . those guy's will help you or you could have them wire your stuff up ??? they have all the tricks for a go installed ,remember they do this daily .

I am the one that used to do all their wiring. Everything from lightbars,sirens two ways, generators, mag chargers and even shotgun locks.

I have although never installed a 400 watt radio since we use repeaters. Nor have I worked with the new electronics system introduced in the 14 Silverado.

I am kinda hoping a GM tech will jump in here and offer some pointers.

I have a 50 watt Icom IC-2820 Amateur radio installed in my 2014 GMC crew cab and have not had any problems with RF interference. I have the antenna mounted through the roof using an NMO style of antenna. I have done several installs like this without any issues.

I would prefer through the roof mount but 1. Can't see drilling a hole through a new truck. 2. The sheet metal is so thin I'm afraid if you hit something too low on your whip you would tweak the metal and loose a water tight seal plus ruin your roof.

I would prefer through the roof mount but 1. Can't see drilling a hole through a new truck. 2. The sheet metal is so thin I'm afraid if you hit something too low on your whip you would tweak the metal and loose a water tight seal plus ruin your roof.

The roof is the best place for an antenna. I didnt even have my truck for 24 hours and had a hole in the roof. The nmo antenna mounts use o-rings to seal things up and work very well. The roof is stronger than you think. The install is clean and you dont have a coax cable rubbing your paint. You will also find some information on that post where the hole can be drilled.

Here is a link to my install.

http://forums.radioreference.com/pictures-your-shack-mobile-setup/304472-2014-gmc-sierra-crewcab.html

Archived