Grumpy Bears 2015 Silverado 2WD

Grumpy Bear

June through November Fuel Report

I haven't done a monthly fuel report in some time. I'll catch up with a total for these months. All miles running alcohol. 

5,397 miles, 245.207 gallons = 22.01 mpg.

E-85 

For each tank I recorded the alcohol content and calculated the equivalent BTU milage in light aromatic E-10. Her normal diet before she became a tippler. 

That number lands squarely on her 163K mile lifetime average of 28 mpg. Most of these miles the tank alcohol concentration was 75%. Of late I'm blending down, as mentioned before, for cold start and yes, mileage in the absolute. 

Current cost has been between 12 and 14 cents a mile. Double pre-pandemic lows and yet significantly less than the peak. About 4 cents a mile lower and about 8 cents a mile lower than the stable that runs straight gas always. Blending cheaper alcohol, even when lower mileage was factored in, still netted a sizeable savings. As has driving less 😉 

Have I mentioned before, I really like this fuel? 😏

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

June through November Fuel Report

I haven't done a monthly fuel report in some time. I'll catch up with a total for these months. All miles running alcohol. 

5,397 miles, 245.207 gallons = 22.01 mpg.

E-85 

For each tank I recorded the alcohol content and calculated the equivalent BTU milage in light aromatic E-10. Her normal diet before she became a tippler. 

That number lands squarely on her 163K mile lifetime average of 28 mpg. Most of these miles the tank alcohol concentration was 75%. Of late I'm blending down, as mentioned before, for cold start and yes, mileage in the absolute. 

Current cost has been between 12 and 14 cents a mile. Double pre-pandemic lows and yet significantly less than the peak. About 4 cents a mile lower and about 8 cents a mile lower than the stable that runs straight gas always. Blending cheaper alcohol, even when lower mileage was factored in, still netted a sizeable savings. As has driving less 😉 

Have I mentioned before, I really like this fuel? 😏

Ever wonder why we don't burn ethanol instead of gasoline? Runs cleaner, less costly over total expense range, could be made on the farm or locally from local feedstocks ( not just corn) higher NATURAL octane rating.  Free market my knickers....market run by rich controlling agents who convince  gullible ( most) Americans to fight amongst ourselves for crumbs in the name of believes and feelings. BAH HUMBUG....

1 hour ago, customboss said:

Ever wonder why we don't burn ethanol instead of gasoline?

From and engineering standpoint? Yes. From a marketing standpoint? Never crossed my mind. But now that you put the thought in my head 🤔

One issue with renewables is the footprint they take to make in enough volume to supply the demand. Clearcutting forest, in example, has been a partial answer to fill the demand so far and that isn't working well for anyone. The Peruvian desert is an example of that type of short sightedness. That area was once rain forest and now nothing survives there. We could give up meat or driving for that matter and use that corn/beans we feed livestock to make fuel or feed the worlds hungry. 😏

Humanity as a species lacks the ability by divine design, to direct even his own step (Jerimiah 10:23). We lack the balance, restraint and foresight to develop an "end all, be all" solution to any problem humans face. History will confirm that every solution has had an unforeseen major negative impact on the planet and the creatures that inhabit it. All we can see is the $$$$ as we grasp at some short term 'fix' then sit back and wait for the fallout with our thumbs under our suspenders gloating over an accomplishment that in the future will be found to create some other unforeseen issue that devastates mankind. AND we will continue to deny this simple truth. 

• Like 1

On 12/8/2022 at 9:17 AM, Grumpy Bear said:

From and engineering standpoint? Yes. From a marketing standpoint? Never crossed my mind. But now that you put the thought in my head 🤔

One issue with renewables is the footprint they take to make in enough volume to supply the demand. Clearcutting forest, in example, has been a partial answer to fill the demand so far and that isn't working well for anyone. The Peruvian desert is an example of that type of short sightedness. That area was once rain forest and now nothing survives there. We could give up meat or driving for that matter and use that corn/beans we feed livestock to make fuel or feed the worlds hungry. 😏

Humanity as a species lacks the ability by divine design, to direct even his own step (Jerimiah 10:23). We lack the balance, restraint and foresight to develop an "end all, be all" solution to any problem humans face. History will confirm that every solution has had an unforeseen major negative impact on the planet and the creatures that inhabit it. All we can see is the $$$$ as we grasp at some short term 'fix' then sit back and wait for the fallout with our thumbs under our suspenders gloating over an accomplishment that in the future will be found to create some other unforeseen issue that devastates mankind. AND we will continue to deny this simple truth. 

My comment was about gasoline being decided on vs ethanol.  So, " fossil fuels" have done more damage than " renewables" over history.  Transitioning from coal to oil wasn't a natural progression, it was decided upon for transport by Standard Oil. Ford was essentially forced early on for mass production to use that oil source vs the ethanol he envisaged.  A gallon of gas is more energy dense than ethanol but not that much more if the engine is designed to burn ethanol as its primary fuel. So ethanol and " renewables" are a bridge to a new world of energy and skipping over that fact makes a go no go of considering the bridge to a new future. Big oil will never give up its grip and has been lying about a transition to smarter energy.  I am encouraged by one of my former employers a OEM transitioning to cleaner diesel engines, hydrogen electrolyzer technology and IC engines that burn hydrogen. Leaving the heavy batteries behind for on board power generation thats lightweight and not carrying heavy batteries or gallons of fuels. Here's a former colleague who is now CEO there

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2022/12/08/cummins-ceo-on-supply-chain-dual-sourcing-plays-a-key-role.html

All energy is SOLAR sourced, even oil reserves. 

We are technologically capable of using raw solar energy for most of our needs NOW.  The damage worldwide oil use and extraction has done to the world is why we are heating the atmosphere and earth now.  Cutting out the middle man of energy extraction from direct solar vs other forms of concentrated energy sources is critical to success. 

I agree political will and marketing ( GREED driving both)  are stifling science, as usual. 

Peru and most of south america has been raped. Extracting renewable energy sources was not the reason. Pure greed and poor farming or ranching or foresting was the reason. Add ignorance in and it's a pot of crap to stir. 

The biblical references are comfortable mythic ways to describe and excuse what human kind can be and is.

We can also exceed the standard and do at times. If not us changing things positively and smart god ain't rushing to save this earth. Even "scripture" says this earth was designed for the creation and management of man.  We are the savior and executioner of our own destiny in this life. I won't debate the next because no one knows. 

I often think about that mindset of excusing or giving up and waiting for "god" or human made myth to solve our problems when I was a airline pilot. 

Over the pacific late at night @39000'  in turbulence with headwinds and a problem mechanically, comms bad. I didn't drop to the cockpit floor and pray for allah or jesus or Q ( LOL )  to save my jet, crew and 290 passengers......WE as a crew did procedures, science, and farm boy common sense educated by the USN, USArmy, and my airline. We survived and while I used to be a man/boy of deep christian faith realize most of what we in US now know of biblical faith is nationalism with a USA bent on jesus.  A Jewish palestinian of who there is no historical references for aside from authors who copied and pasted each others myths.  

Its interesting concept of smart very smart folks like you Grumpy falling back off your science horse and depending on myth that cannot be substantiated to excuse men for being stupid , ignorant, evil. This is not a criticism of your sincere faith but an observation from your myriad biblical references which are fine,  and I understand, from my youth pre combat.  Your end result of the christian logic you shared above ( based on old testament Jeremiah is that we are doomed). I agree,  we are if we give up and treat each other like dogs and stop doing the math.  

https://www.brookings.edu/research/how-renewable-energy-jobs-can-uplift-fossil-fuel-communities-and-remake-climate-politics/

https://www.brookings.edu/podcast-episode/why-do-we-use-fossil-fuels-and-why-are-they-so-hard-to-quit/

• Like 1

PS I though Jeremiah was a Bull Frog? 🤣

Everyone knows  ethanol can be mass produced from more than one feedstock and that corn source is a political and US choice while most estolides sources are waste from stalks of plants not a seed plant source. So less waste more clean fuel. We have enough waste sources to make a lot of clean fuels or at least a portion of our gasolines can be cold mixed with higher doses of ethanol or ethanol sourced additives to burn cleaner and increase octane rating. 

On 12/10/2022 at 9:06 AM, customboss said:

This is not a criticism of your sincere faith but an observation

I've been mulling this for days because I thought I might wish to reply. Then I looked at the name of this thread and its author. Fact is, it is a build thread. Think I would prefer to keep it on topic. Not shutting you down as I invite a PM or even an email if you would care to continue the thought. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

I've been mulling this for days because I thought I might wish to reply. Then I looked at the name of this thread and its author. Fact is, it is a build thread. Think I would prefer to keep it on topic. Not shutting you down as I invite a PM or even an email if you would care to continue the thought. 

Just remember Jeremiah was a BullFrog.......:)  

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

December 2022 through January 2023 Fuel Log

Fuel is volume weighted by measurement to 44.5% hand blended over 4 tanks. 

1,102 miles using 48.333 gallons metered = 22.88 MPG at a cost of about 12.9 cents per mile.

This would be a median of 26.22 MPG if running E-10 87 pump which for this time of year would be very good.

This has been a very warm, snow free calendar period. I've cherry picked my driving days for best weather and road conditions. Pepper sees no salt. 0W30 oil. Accurate tire pressure monitoring. And dialing back on the Ethanol to help cold start. Last value in graph is current and only the 1,102 miles of this record. Might have dialed back a bit more than needed but it is to be wicked cold the next few weeks here. 

image.thumb.png.62d7da55ab07d5fa93363811629b7b9d.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

February Fuel Log

3/2/2023

575 miles using 26.204 gallons of E-41-ish = 21.94 mpg. Content multiplier 1.13 for an E-10 equivalent 24.8 mpg. It was a really warm February. Blend cost was $77.75 or 13.5 cents per mile and/or $2.967/gallon.

In about 2 weeks or mid-March I'll start the walk back to the pump 75% alcohol load. Heading back to 5W30 as well. I doubt anymore -25 F days are coming this year and if so......I stay home. :D

Typo in data 

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

February Fuel Log

3/2/2023

575 miles using 26.204 gallons of E-41-ish = 21.94 mpg. Content multiplier 1.3 for an E-10 equivalent 28.53 mpg. It was a really warm February. Blend cost was $77.75 or 13.5 cents per mile and/or $2.967/gallon.

In about 2 weeks or mid-March I'll start the walk back to the pump 75% alcohol load. Heading back to 5W30 as well. I doubt anymore -25 F days are coming this year and if so......I stay home. :D

Amazing performance. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

164,822 Miles

3/23/2023

Pepper turned 8 years old two weeks ago without a notice. 3/8/2023 build date. About time to start spring cleaning and services. And time to start returning to 5W30 and full E-85. Fall to Spring cycle complete. 

image.thumb.png.d1523ad28746fc976617b707385ed689.png

Edited by Grumpy Bear
Add Graph
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, diyer2 said:

Battery was dead?

No-no, but it will if not driven for weeks on end. Battery is good. I put it on a Battery Tender when left for long periods just like the stored cars. By dead idle I meant no usage. Sorry. :(