Plasti-dipped the honeycomb on my LT (before & after pics)

I think I liked the chrome better but that is just me. Looks like a good job.

I am curious though did you plasti-dip 360 degrees like the back too since you removed it? Thinking that would be a good idea back first then front as it would hold better and create a shell. When I talked to the guy to line-x my fender flares he said it does the back too even though not seen as it provides a better 'shell' over all. Thinking this would apply to DIP too.

Yup, I sprayed mine both front and back since I had the grille off. Just seemed like a good idea to get full coverage.

How does this hold up from chipping in the grill area? Also, how many cans (I assume you used spray bombs) did ti take?

I did 6 coats on mine. My first can ran out about halfway through the 5th coat. This was my first time using plasti-dip, so I don't have a great sense for how "heavy" I was putting it on. But yeah, 2 cans was enough for me.

Yup, I sprayed mine both front and back since I had the grille off. Just seemed like a good idea to get full coverage.

I did 6 coats on mine. My first can ran out about halfway through the 5th coat. This was my first time using plasti-dip, so I don't have a great sense for how "heavy" I was putting it on. But yeah, 2 cans was enough for me.

Good man. Yes dip is thicker than paint and goes on thicker. If you warm the can in a pail of hot water and spray it flat / horizontal it will self level and you can and should spray 2nd+ coats thick. If you ever want a clean line via tape you need to spray it thick with less coats and remove the tape immediately.

Good man. Yes dip is thicker than paint and goes on thicker. If you warm the can in a pail of hot water and spray it flat / horizontal it will self level and you can and should spray 2nd+ coats thick. If you ever want a clean line via tape you need to spray it thick with less coats and remove the tape immediately.

Thanks for the info!

Here's a question that hopefully someone can answer......as I mentioned in my first post, I had a couple of imperfections that I'd like to fix. The big one was a "bubble" about half an inch long. What would be the best way to go about fixing it? I was thinking that I should cut away the loose rubber where the bubble is and respray that area, but I'm nervous that if I cut/pull too much I'll create a larger problem. Has anyone ever tried to fix something like this?

• 1 year later...
On 9/21/2016 at 11:51 PM, Penguin VII said:

Looks great. Love the look against the chrome.

I did something like that back in the 80s w/ my '82 K15. Masked off the 'main' parts of the grille & sprayed the thinner argent sections black.

Not my truck, but you get the idea of what I did:

26710060001_large.jpg?v=1

• 4 weeks later...

Archived