Auxiliary Reverse Light Help

I have 2 led light bars under my rear bumper that I use to reverse at night that are currently wired to a switch in the cab. I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to have them wired into my reverse lights and also the switch so that they will come on when I put the truck in reverse but I could also control them manually.

I also added rear aux lights under the bumper. Wired them to the reverse lights of the trailer wiring, so they go on when in reverse. But also did the mod listed online (somewhere) here that uses a diode to make the reverse lights turn on when you activate the cargo lamp (search for it), which answers your question of how to do both and still have manual operation.

• Like 1

I did the same thing. I have two led light pods I drilled into my trailer hitch. I bought a wire harness from rigid industries meant for this exact application. Believe it or not it was only $50. Came with everything you need already wired. It's like 25 ft long so you have plenty of wire to run it from the battery, in the cab, and down the frame to the lights in the rear. You tap into the wire bundle for the trailer lights. It comes with a 3 way toggle seitch also. The switch has off position/ on position so you can switch them on manually whenever you want/ and auto position which will have the reverse lights come on automatically when you put it in reverse. The wire harness had instructions on what trailer hitch wires to tap into. I believe you can find the diagram online if you search rigid aux back up light harness.

The way I tapped into the trailer wires......if I leave the switch in auto, the lights come on when I unlock the truck with keyless entry. You know how when you first unlock your truck all the lights come on including reverse. Then after like 30 seconds just the normal lights are on.......or something like that.

Wire harness $50: https://www.amazon.com/Rigid-Industries-Back-Light-Harness/dp/B00PACD2D0

You can use them with any lights. I didn't use rigid lights. I got two led pods from sneveys off road for a lot less with the same lumens. You just have to get creative a bit with how you splice. I ordered pre pinned connectors from amazon. I just spliced them on to the lights and the harness so I could easily unhook the lights in the future if I want to switch them.

If anyone gets this kit I would suggest getting wire loom to protect the wires and keep them in a nice bundle. They have wire loom at harbor fright cheap.

In the OPs case, you might be able to just switch out your switch with a 3 position one. You would have to find that diagram I mentioned to see if you need to run additional wires.

***** I found the diagram for the switch. I hope this helps. May give you an idea.

post-138185-0-25473100-1482085589_thumb.jpg

Edited by DunedudeSD

• 3 years later...