2017 Sierra 3500HD delivery

Don't get too upset at GM about build & delivery times. I've been around other forums enough to know that no manufacturer can guarantee a date as to when it will be delivered. They can just give you best guesses.

Well I am just getting ready to pull the trigger on a new 2500 DMax and was talking with my favorite fleet buyer - he has been calling GM on a regular basis as he has several fleet orders that are "in Transit" The response from GM is that they are having transport problems - read no train cars available - they told him they are leasing parking lots in the area of the factory to hold all the overflow.

He does not really believe it. There might also be a problem with the build that was caught in a spot QC. However if that were the case he said that the VIN would not be released and the order status would not say turned over to the transport company.

He also noted that he has not seen a shipment of anything GM in several weeks. Since we are in Portland OR. we are also an import car port - we are the only freshwater port on the west coast - the import companies like our lack of salt air - we have not seen that many cars on those lots either. Or for that matter many car haulers on the local RRs either - Grain, Coal, Oil and Containers seem to be the main commodities on the rails these days.

It would be interesting to see if Ford and Dodge are having similar problems.

Drove by a local Chevy and GMC dealer. They both have a 17 2500HD Duramax, the GMC is a Denali, both black. I stopped to look at the GMC that hood is sweet. Couldn't tell by first look what else changed if anything. Sticker $69k...

I found some more data points where a couple of years ago there was a shortage of the rail cars required for hauling trucks and SUVs - they are built with only two layers instead of three for cars. The influx of truck and SUV purchases caused a real mess with rail shipments until enough of the double rack cars could be built.

I also read where in the past few weeks Grain, Coal, Oil, and Containers shipments were all up over last year while autos were down almost 11%

So I believe that there is some truth to "transportation issues" excuse - however the possibility of a spot QC revealed some issues with the new DMAX motor - however if that were the case there would not be any shortages of gassers - my dealer is having issues getting both..

• 2 weeks later...

have only notice one 3500 17 dmax and no 17 2500 so far in the small town i'm in, hate to wait myself for an extended period where i'm told the truck is built/complte but not yet shipped. I think the general dealer orders hit the lots first thought...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived