Anyone ever have to replace an engine oil cooler line?

While changing oil tonight I noticed that there appears to be a light leak coming from one of the hoses between the radiator and the engine. I'm 99% sure it's an engine oil cooler line (not transmission cooler). There was a drop forming on the line and it definitely looked and smelled like engine oil. I need to remove the plastic cover under the engine to get a better look but in the mean time I was trying to find a diagram showing the hose. I'm not having much success. Any one ever had one of these lines replaced or know where to find a part diagram?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, at 17000 miles I noticed a leak under the line on the liner. Took it to the dealer. They replaced under warranty stating the o ring inside the line from where the line goes from metal to rubber was leaking oil out slowly. Caused by the pressure that builds in the line. Currently have 38000 no other issues with the truck. Not even the shaking issue.

• 9 months later...

Well, the trans cooler lines will not get hot until the trans is at 185+ degrees

so you can drive around for 15 minutes and feel whats hot and whats not, then wait another 15 minutes when the trans gets to operating temp and it will be super hot if its the trans line

• 2 months later...

Just found this thread and I just found the hose leaking on my 2014. I am at 97k miles. For those that have replaced the line, I can see the block just above the oil filter, where is the cooler end located? I believe mine is also leaking at that end because there is oil at the radiator/condenser support also on mine. 

oil leak 5.jpg

I did both the trans cooler lines on my 2010, and it was a pain and I wouldnt DIY it again, I'd just pay someone with a lift. I bought the oil cooler lines too but never got around to doing them before I sold the truck. You have to pull the axle to do the oil cooler lines (at least on the NNBS), which is why I never did it. I still have the lines sitting in my garage taking up space. These lines are prone to leaking, and my oil cooler lines started weeping at about 50k on my 2010 and I sold it with 90k with no worse leaking, so I wouldn't worry about it totally failing on you anytime soon. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rastasquid said:

I did both the trans cooler lines on my 2010, and it was a pain and I wouldnt DIY it again, I'd just pay someone with a lift. I bought the oil cooler lines too but never got around to doing them before I sold the truck. You have to pull the axle to do the oil cooler lines (at least on the NNBS), which is why I never did it. I still have the lines sitting in my garage taking up space. These lines are prone to leaking, and my oil cooler lines started weeping at about 50k on my 2010 and I sold it with 90k with no worse leaking, so I wouldn't worry about it totally failing on you anytime soon. 

I am 2wd so it may not be as bad if I do have to replace the lines. I just had the radiator replaced under warranty about 1000 miles ago. I believe the majority of my leak is from one of the fittings at the radiator and the fix should be on them. Most of the leak I see is under the radiator and condenser. The leak from the oil line is minimal at this point. 

oil leak 5.jpg

2 hours ago, rastasquid said:

If you decide to do them, see if 20828695 is still compatable... I'll give you a great deal haha

Thanks for the offer Rasta! I'll keep that in mind. I keep thinking I am finding the correct part number but so far no luck.

Edited by Eddie 70

• 11 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I did this today. I had to remove bolts holding the axle to drop it a little. After that the hoses just took some gentle coaxing to remove and slip the other back in. They were 21mm. I don’t think it would have been possible without dropping the axle, but that part was a piece of cake. 2009 Yukon Denali 6.2L

Edited by Dadf8