Where is the factory TRAILER BRAKE CONTROLLER located???

What trim level is you truck? WT?

Haha i dont know im looking for paper work on it. I think a LT? Im fairly sure its not a WT its color coded , chrome grill and wheels and somewhat loaded up with options. Ill keep looking for window stick. Truck is in dealer right now.

Nope, the Z82 does not include the brake controller - however you can't have the controller without the Z82 trailering pkg :)

Look like you need to get an aftermarket brake controller - go to your local RV parts store. You should have some stub cut wires under the dash to provide power, gnd, and a brake pedal wire - you might also have to fish around under the hood for the wire that goes back to the rear connector. Not sure on this generation of trucks, but on the previous ones both the 12V charging wire and the brake wire were stub cut under the hood near the fuse/relay box.

• 1 month later...

What trim level is you truck? WT?

Back when I was shopping trucks last year, ALL the W/T's I looked at had the factory controller....I only ever saw trucks WITHOUT the controller in the higher trim packages.

• Like 1

I just looked the window sticker says Z82 Trailering equipment package. But i guess package dont include brake controller.?

On a 2017 2500 it should include the JL1 brake controller as well:

Z82 is optional on 2500 WT and LT:

Z82 Trailering equipment Trailering hitch platform 2.5" with a 2.0" insert for HD, 7-wire harness with independent fused trailering circuits mated to a 7-way sealed connector to hook up parking lamps, backup lamps, right and left turn signals, an electric brake lead, battery and a ground, The trailer connector also includes the 4-way for use on trailers without brakes - park, brake/turn lamps
On WT - Included with (PCN) Silverado HD Custom. Includes (JL1) trailer brake controller. Not available with (ZW9) pickup box delete or (9J4) rear bumper delete.
On LT - Included with (PDA) Texas Edition or (PDU) All Star Edition. Includes (JL1) trailer brake controller. Not available with (ZW9) pickup box delete or (9J4) rear bumper delete.
STD on LTZ and HC
On a 2017 1500 Silverado it's different: (trims for standard/optional are also different)

Z82 Trailering Package, includes trailer hitch, 7-pin and 4-pin connectors, includes (G80) locking rear differential.

But the JL1 brake controller requires the Z82 trailering equipment.
Edited by redwngr

• 2 years later...
On 3/14/2017 at 5:43 AM, Dave454s said:

Back when I was shopping trucks last year, ALL the W/T's I looked at had the factory controller....I only ever saw trucks WITHOUT the controller in the higher trim packages.

my WT came with it, so add mine to the list!

Edited by i82much

If you ordered the Prodigy, I'd stick with it.

My buddy added "factory" brake controller, and has had a couple occasions it faults out and he lost trailer brakes.

Factory one is great, but I'd have no issues using a Prodigy versus installing factory if mine didn't come with it.

Fun Fact: I've read and heard aftermarket brake controllers work best for electric-over-hydraulic setups.

• 2 weeks later...

can the factory brake controller be added as an aftermarket option?

my LT didn't come with light sensitive dimming rear view mirror, but I bought a mirror and installed it (wiring harness already set up for it).

it wasn't a dealer option, and the service guys said there was no way to add it (but clearly, the truck was pre-wired for it, I'm wondering if my towing package is set up the same way)