What oil are you using.

One of the biggest mistakes GM owners make is follow the oil life meter, even GM breaks their own rule by using Dexos1 and giving a false sense of security to drivers. The oil life meter is calibrated for full synthetic, says so in the manual. This means if your using dyno oil you should still change the at 3000 miles or ( 5000 Kms ) even if the oil life meter says 50%, now using Dexos1 synthetic blend you should change the oil at or before 5000 miles (8000 Kms ) I know Amzoil claims their oil is good for 12000 miles or more and I don't dispute that, if you guys want to push your luck and your engines limit go ahead I won't. Now the kicker, the manual says that if you use dyno oil to change oil and filter after 3000 miles, no where does it say not to change the oil filter when you do the oil change, it specifies every 3000 miles. Myself I use synthetic and change the filter at 50% on the oil meter which is about 6000 Kms ( about 3750 miles ) and at the oil change. If your filter is plugged it's doing nothing for you or your engine. It might be overkill on my part but I'd rather have clean oil flowing through my engine than dirty oil bypassing the filter because it's no longer able to filter. I do the same for my 3 ecotec engines. ( Easier on those, filter's on top in a cup )

One of the biggest mistakes GM owners make is follow the oil life meter, even GM breaks their own rule by using Dexos1 and giving a false sense of security to drivers. The oil life meter is calibrated for full synthetic, says so in the manual. This means if your using dyno oil you should still change the at 3000 miles or ( 5000 Kms ) even if the oil life meter says 50%, now using Dexos1 synthetic blend you should change the oil at or before 5000 miles (8000 Kms ) I know Amzoil claims their oil is good for 12000 miles or more and I don't dispute that, if you guys want to push your luck and your engines limit go ahead I won't. Now the kicker, the manual says that if you use dyno oil to change oil and filter after 3000 miles, no where does it say not to change the oil filter when you do the oil change, it specifies every 3000 miles. Myself I use synthetic and change the filter at 50% on the oil meter which is about 6000 Kms ( about 3750 miles ) and at the oil change. If your filter is plugged it's doing nothing for you or your engine. It might be overkill on my part but I'd rather have clean oil flowing through my engine than dirty oil bypassing the filter because it's no longer able to filter. I do the same for my 3 ecotec engines. ( Easier on those, filter's on top in a cup )

The owners manual is/was outdated before the 2016 trucks.....They really should go over the manual because being a casual observer/reader I find it comical of the many misleading/incorrect printed material in it.

• Like 1

You all should check out the manual on a Cadillac CTS 2015.....NOT ONE PICTURE IN MANUAL RESEMBLES INTERIOR/GAUGES? GM should not look very far for lost Cadillac sales! I will mention that the service dept at Cadillac is 100% better than Chevy,GMC etc. from knowledge and care to properly fixing etc!

Fixing to start doing my own since the 2 free have been used. I'm debating mobil 1 and pennzoil ultra platinum. Anyone believe the ultra platinum is better and worth the price difference?

Fixing to start doing my own since the 2 free have been used. I'm debating mobil 1 and pennzoil ultra platinum. Anyone believe the ultra platinum is better and worth the price difference?

Doubt it.....Relative works for Old World Industries and Mobil 1 is filled on same line as Peak full synthetic....Unless you want to pay the price for Pennzoil Ultra?

I tried the natural gas synthetic Pennzoil Plus in my wife's car and I found that her car dropped level prematurely so went back to Valvoline Synthec.

Had that issue with my truck as well. Went to Mobil 1, and it hasn't happened since.

They have and overflow tank for coolant, you'd think GM engineers would be able to design a system that sucks oil from a reservoir when levels drop below a certain level. It's not rocket science....

The average owner would never see a benefit from one to the other...

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

The ultra platinum is the way to go! If you are dead set on Mobil 1 go with the Extended performance variant it has better detergents in it.

Do some reading on Bob is the Oil guy...I am a lifetime Mobil 1 user and converted to Pennzoil Ultra Premium, the detergent additives are better for Direct Injection motors. You can catch it on Amazon for nearly the same price as Mobil 1 and there is a $2 per quart rebate going on right now.

• Like 1

The ultra platinum is the way to go! If you are dead set on Mobil 1 go with the Extended performance variant it has better detergents in it.

Do some reading on Bob is the Oil guy...I am a lifetime Mobil 1 user and converted to Pennzoil Ultra Premium, the detergent additives are better for Direct Injection motors. You can catch it on Amazon for nearly the same price as Mobil 1 and there is a $2 per quart rebate going on right now.

I'm undecided at this point. My local wal mart has Mobil 1 and platinum, but not the ultra. The ultra seems quite a bit higher from the places I looked, but will look again with your reference being close in price.