front bumper license plate bracket

Can anyone tell me the part number for the front license plate bracket that replaces the chrome bumper insert as per picture attached?

I've got a 2016 GMC Sierra 3500HD SLT that I bought from a dealer in Alberta which does not have mandatory front license plates. I'd like to get an online price for this item. Had I figured this out earlier when I bought the truck I would have asked them to switch it for me at the time of purchase. It's too late now.

Anyone know where I could look for this part online?

Also, is there some instruction on how to take off the chrome bumper filler part? I looked in the back of the bumper and took off a couple screws but it wasn't clear how it comes off. I don't want to force anything and break it!

thanks,

Daniel

post-170105-0-86953900-1488736617.jpg

can someone confirm that I need the part #2 or #3 highlighted in the attached? Or is it a different part to hold the license plate? I have #18 in the diagram.

thanks in advance!

Daniel

post-170105-0-13309100-1488775646_thumb.jpg

Looks like #3 to me. I would give the a dealer parts dept. a call and see if they can help. As far as removing the chrome part it probably snaps in, the licence plate bracket screws in from the front. Again a dealership service dept. will probably give advice if you ask.

That piece circled. On the GMC HD, there are 4 screws that hold it in from the back side of the bumper. Pop your head underneath and you will see them.

Once you remove the cover, you will see the holes for the license plate. That cover hides it for states that do not need front plates, and when removed, it is front plate state compliant. No separate plate bracket.

Edited by 15HDriver

thanks guys... I'll take another look under the bumper and maybe I'll stop by the dealer as I pass it on my way home every day anyhow. Normally this stuff is easy for me (I have an affinity to taking engines apart and trying to put them back together) but I always get stuck on the easy peasy stuff... :-)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

That piece circled. On the GMC HD, there are 4 screws that hold it in from the back side of the bumper. Pop your head underneath and you will see them.

Once you remove the cover, you will see the holes for the license plate. That cover hides it for states that do not need front plates, and when removed, it is front plate state compliant. No separate plate bracket.

How do you remove it the cover if the four screws are holding it in? I must be missing something

How do you remove it the cover if the four screws are holding it in? I must be missing something

...you crawl underheath and remove the 4 screws...the cover will then come off...behind the cover is the plate mounting...

Edited by 15HDriver

yeah, i am an idiot. I see them now. Thanks!!

I needed a light under the truck to finally see the screws. They are black and tiny!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Thanks. I ended up just removing the cover and installing the license plate. No mounting bracket required.

Thanks. I ended up just removing the cover and installing the license plate. No mounting bracket required.

Correct that's how the GMC HD are no bracket its part of that center valance/fascia behind the removable cover.

• 10 months later...
2 hours ago, Thankful said:

Where can I find just the chrome cover?  My 2018 GMC Sierra Denali has the bracket for the plate (which I don't need) but I would like to have the chrome cover.

...the dealer...

In all serious, you will need center cover kit 23180725. 

Edited by newdude