Cold Air Intake? Have thoughts and opinions changed?

I had an aFe Momentum GT intake for about 500 miles and then removed it due to the noise.  I also didn't notice a big improvement in performance and there was no improvement in gas mileage.  It did seem to have better throttle response though.  Instead, I opened up the restrictive intake ports at the fender in the stock airbox, and installed a Green filter.  Now it feels the same as the aFe did for about $350 less.

IMG_1292.JPG

IMG_1294.JPG

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, mikepol2 said:

I had an aFe Momentum GT intake for about 500 miles and then removed it due to the noise.  I also didn't notice a big improvement in performance and there was no improvement in gas mileage.  It did seem to have better throttle response though.  Instead, I opened up the restrictive intake ports at the fender in the stock airbox, and installed a Green filter.  Now it feels the same as the aFe did for about $350 less.

IMG_1292.JPG

IMG_1294.JPG

I did this same thing other than leaving the upper baffle that way I get a downdraft instead up pulling higher air. I am sure it isn't helping very much but just the difference I have between this and yours. I also used the Auto Dynasty Green high flow air filter. http://amzn.to/2zmGJ2r I love these filters and I don't know why people aren't using them more. They are so inexpensive! 

DIY Video I just made making a Cold air intake with the OEM air intake.

I did this as well. Now did I get any additional power...?... No clue. Doesn't feel like it. What I notice us getting into the gas I hear it more. Not like a 300 dollar Cai but a little. I've been trying to either figure a diy tube from the TB to the intake box or justify an airaid for the price. I really don't care about the hp increase I just want the noise lol

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Jeff5347 said:

I did this as well. Now did I get any additional power...?... No clue. Doesn't feel like it. What I notice us getting into the gas I hear it more. Not like a 300 dollar Cai but a little. I've been trying to either figure a diy tube from the TB to the intake box or justify an airaid for the price. I really don't care about the hp increase I just want the noise lol

I am going to look into testing it.

I am going to look into testing it.
If you figure a way to up the growl I'd be interested in that. I just keep looking at the $300+ intakes and as much as I want one I just can't part with my money for a tad bit more power. If it was a 25 go increase then I'm in...

From my experience, all the extra sound is in the intake tube between the airbox and throttle body.  Stock tubes have resonators to reduce noise, straight tubes don't.  It's really that simple.  If all you want is more sound then get an Airaid MIT.

Archived