Check engine light flashing then goes away

My daughter's Cruze did this to her the other morning, couple weeks ago, and has not returned since.  No one posted anything about this subject in CruzeTalk, but I found this one when I was about to ask.

I think that resetting the CEL should NOT wipe the codes.  Codes should be wiped when you take a reader and erase them yourself, or your mechanic wipes them.

• 6 months later...

I have same problem. I change my own oil and I was going on a straight highway doing 70. First it happened at 80 000 miles. Friend of mine told me it”s misfire and I can try to replace spark plugs. So I did. Than it happened again at 88 000 and now I am at the dealer setting an appointment.  

Mine has been doing this and after many weeks of trying to figure out what it was, i replaced my coil (which only has 10k miles on it) with one of the old coils i took out when i replaced all and the issue went away.

Spark plug and wire check should be first step, if it all looks fine then swap coils and if your issue moves to the other cylinder then replace your coil.

All 8 of mine have 10k miles on them but for whatever reason #1 was acting up, putting the old 120k mile coil on it fixed it lol 

Edited by Ozer

Your dealer has GDS which accesses stored misfire information, way more then aftermarket.

Not hard to do, would take me two seconds to do. Sounds like a coil issue to me. If it was under load, just guessing though.

-Friendly neighborhood GM tech

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had both the random multiple misfire code and then misfires in cylinder 5 and 7 at seperate dates. This all happened  at 102,000kms.....only 22,000 KMS after changing the plugs which is not great. i changes the plugs again and wires. Bought a superchips tuner and tuned out the afm, and started running premium fuel with a bit of lucas injector cleaner. so far 22,000 kms since the issue and it has not happened again (Now at 125,000 KMS). 

• 1 year later...

2012 GMC Yukon Denali. CEL comes on and immediately goes off and the truck will hesitate or give a thump.  Happening more often and usually when in traffic going 30 mph or less. At the same time the door locks will click. All 3 things at once within a second. Then drives normal.  Any ideas?

4 hours ago, GdH said:

2012 GMC Yukon Denali. CEL comes on and immediately goes off and the truck will hesitate or give a thump.  Happening more often and usually when in traffic going 30 mph or less. At the same time the door locks will click. All 3 things at once within a second. Then drives normal.  Any ideas?

A bad cell in a battery that otherwise passes all tests can cause all kinds of gremlins.  So can corroded ground wires.

Make sure your battery and alternator are within specifications and check your cables and grounds for corrosion.  Find someone with a Tech-2 or equivalent and look up the codes stored in memory, not just he engine, but BCM and Chassis codes too.  Cheap OBD readers do not see them. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...