Check engine light flashing then goes away

I have a 2015 1500 with the 5.3 and around 29,000 miles. Last week I was driving to work going about 60mph on a gradual uphill and the check engine light started flashing. I slowed down and pulled over. As I slowed down the light stopped, I then shut the truck off, then restarted and went on my way. Hasnt done it since, however it did do it about 2 years ago about the same situation. No loss of power or evidence of something going wrong. Checked for any codes and there was none. Any ideas what may cause this, and should I be concerned.

With it still under warranty I'd have it checked. You certainly don't want to drive it with a continuously flashing CEL. If it cut off you should be ok, but a flashing cel signals a severe misfire, and it will dump raw fuel into the exhaust system and cause major problems i.e. ruined catalytic converters and could even cause a fire. Definitely keep an eye on it.

Edited by Foghorn17

The dealers Tech 2 is much more in depth than your standard scanner. I've seen cars with stored codes and no check engine light on so it's possible. But more important is documenting the issue now while it's still under warranty in case it gets worse after the warranty. It's more of a cover your a$$ type situation

Edited by B_SKY33

Just a wild guess - Change your own oil or service station? Wouldn't be the first to have an 8.5 qt. sump filled with 6 qts. nor the first to have the wrong size dipstick.

If underfilled or a bad baffle in the oil pan could be oil starving going up a hill and when stopped backflow from the valve covers filling enough to turn off the light. Yes the low oil level warning and pressure gauge should indicate a loss of pressure - might want to "U" turn and head downhill to change the oil level and see if that turns the light off.

• 2 weeks later...