Need help understanding FEDERAL EMISSIONS OVERRIDE

I'm looking at buying a new GMC SLE pickup out west in the upcoming week and bringing it back to Minnesota. The one odd option that stuck out to me on the window sticker is this. What is this and is it mechanically or electronically any different than a regular truck that would be sold here in the Midwest?

"EMISSIONS OVERRIDE, FEDERAL (for vehicles ordered by dealers in Federal emission states with (YF5) or (NE1) emissions - Not required for vehicles being shipped to California, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont or Washington) (Requires (YF5) California state emissions requirements or (NE1) Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont or Washington state emissions requirements.) (NC7)"

Also these RPO codes are nothing I've ever seen before. Can someone elaborate?
NUF - EMISSION SYSTEM CALIFORNIA N

NE8 - EVAPORATIVE SYSTEM LEVEL 3 EMISSIONS
NC7 - FEDERAL EMISSION OVERRIDE

NE1 - 50-STATE EMISSIONS

• Like 1

Emissions etc are where they are sold I know. When I bought the Duramax new in a cold winter state - it came with a grill cover - since our winters rarely get in the teens - I sold the cover. Ironically some half ton poser bought it for the bumper cover looks.............

:pimp:

Edited by Krusty

CA emissions is fairly strict and if the vehicle is registered in CA it would come with all kinds of warranty for emissions parts as well. A quick search and I've found trucks all over the country that have those same codes ( except NUF - EMISSION SYSTEM CALIFORNIA N which is special to CA). I don't there's anything extra, only to say that it meets CA emissions standards to be sold there. CA is over the top on everything

I've never been able to find a damn thing on this and it is something to worry about. When I was at Hyundai we would regularly get Elantras with CA emissions. NH does not require this but literally every other northeast state does. These cars had a post-cat O2 sensor that was something special, it monitored for like a half dozen different emissions gases and had a giant 14-pin connector. They were failure prone and cost something like $600 or $700 and at the time the aftermarket didn't make one.

• Like 1

It's getting worse now. I've been on the phone all day with people trying to get an answer. Nothing.........

The selling dealer sent me a text in response to my question that reads "it changes the carbon evaporation from the engine because California has stricter rules"

Another random dealer I called said it has an air pump installed on all CA trucks

Someone else said nothing is different, just a packet of papers is added to the order and a California related emissions sticker placed on the radiator shroud.

Even GM customer care didn't have an answer. What is going on????? LOL

May take until next week, but I can reach out to some on my epa counterparts and see if they are familiar with that.

I am in the aviation emissions arena and not too familiar with the automotive end...

What I may SUSPECT is that these different "builds" could mean as little as engine tune tweaks to achieve certain combinations of gaseous emissions levels for various states and/or regions.

The odd thing, to me, is that modern gasoline engines are kleeeeen as a whistle at the tail pipe in the factory calibration. We have shoved probes up tail pipes, and, once the catalyst heats up, you get nothing other than co2 and water out the back.

Diesels on the other hand, even with after treatment, will never achieve gdi emissions levels in Automotive applications. You can do a lot, and they do, but nox is difficult to clean up in diesels.

I'll see what I can find out.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Grumpy Aero Guy, if you wouldn't mind checking with your friend it would be greatly appreciated! I'm getting down to the wire if I'm going to buy this truck as it's 1500 miles away and a helluva deal. I just don't want some smogged up low performing truck is all.

Doing some more research in the corvette world, on the new corvette's there's zero mechanical or electrical difference between a California car and a car sold elsewhere. It's simply a sticker and paperwork that's associated with that RPO code. Wouldn't GM just give that with all their new cars if that's the case?

Anywho, thank you for checking in for me. If I do this, I need to leave town by Tuesday due to scheduling constraints.

-Baffled in MN :)

May take until next week, but I can reach out to some on my epa counterparts and see if they are familiar with that.

I am in the aviation emissions arena and not too familiar with the automotive end...

What I may SUSPECT is that these different "builds" could mean as little as engine tune tweaks to achieve certain combinations of gaseous emissions levels for various states and/or regions.

The odd thing, to me, is that modern gasoline engines are kleeeeen as a whistle at the tail pipe in the factory calibration. We have shoved probes up tail pipes, and, once the catalyst heats up, you get nothing other than co2 and water out the back.

Diesels on the other hand, even with after treatment, will never achieve gdi emissions levels in Automotive applications. You can do a lot, and they do, but nox is difficult to clean up in diesels.

I'll see what I can find out.

Great to finally live in a State where they do yearly safety inspections only and don't prostitute themselves to take Federal moneys by doing emissions testing.........as long as the engine light isn't lit with an emissions code - it passes. When I lived in the PRMD no yearly safety inspections but they made sure to do emissions testing so they could shake money out of both drivers and Uncle Sam's pocket. Ran treadmill tests on my 300M to test emissions at speed and scarred up my front mags, then they had the balls to say congratulations you passed -still did better than the ones they ran off the treadmill!

Reason all vehicles aren't CA emissions compliant is because the extra crap imposes a mpg penalty and 1:50 is better odds than 50:50 when factoring a reduction into total fleet mileage. EPA even tries to get its claws on my lawnmower.........Honda makes 50 State complaint lawnmowers; Lawn Boys have a warning that it is not for sale in CA.....guess which one I bought? And damned if I would ever buy a CA certified complaint vehicle.

Can't answer your question about possible vehicle performance differences, but there are a bunch of other exceptions codes. It's possible that the codes are still in place because they expect differences to exist in nearby future years.

These are for 2018 Silverado 1500:

FE9 Emissions, Federal requirements
NE1 Emissions, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington state requirements
NB8 Emissions override, California (allows a dealer in states that require California emissions - California, Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island or Washington - to order Federal emissions for a vehicle that will be registered in a state that has Federal emission requirements). Do not use for vehicles that will be registered in California, Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island or Washington.
1 - Requires (FE9) Federal emissions requirements. Not available in Maine or Vermont.
NB9 Emissions override, state-specific (for dealers ordering vehicles in (YF5) or (NE1) emission states - California, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington)
1 - Allows a California dealer (YF5 emissions) to order (NE1) emissions with (NB9) emissions override code for registration in (NE1) states; or, a Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington dealer (NE1 emissions) to order (YF5) emissions with (NB9) emissions override code for registration in California.
NC7 Emissions override, Federal (for vehicles ordered by dealers in Federal emission states with (YF5) or (NE1) emissions - Not required for vehicles being shipped to California, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont or Washington)
1 - Requires (YF5) California state emissions requirements or (NE1) Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont or Washington state emissions requirements.
YF5 Emissions, California state requirements

Thomcat, what extra "crap" do they put on these trucks to meet California emissions? I can't see anywhere that they're any different. Do you know of any sources online that show different?

Great to finally live in a State where they do yearly safety inspections only and don't prostitute themselves to take Federal moneys by doing emissions testing.........as long as the engine light isn't lit with an emissions code - it passes. When I lived in the PRMD no yearly safety inspections but they made sure to do emissions testing so they could shake money out of both drivers and Uncle Sam's pocket. Ran treadmill tests on my 300M to test emissions at speed and scarred up my front mags, then they had the balls to say congratulations you passed -still did better than the ones they ran off the treadmill!

Reason all vehicles aren't CA emissions compliant is because the extra crap imposes a mpg penalty and 1:50 is better odds than 50:50 when factoring a reduction into total fleet mileage. EPA even tries to get its claws on my lawnmower.........Honda makes 50 State complaint lawnmowers; Lawn Boys have a warning that it is not for sale in CA.....guess which one I bought? And damned if I would ever buy a CA certified complaint vehicl

Grumpy Aero Guy, if you wouldn't mind checking with your friend it would be greatly appreciated! I'm getting down to the wire if I'm going to buy this truck as it's 1500 miles away and a helluva deal. I just don't want some smogged up low performing truck is all.

Doing some more research in the corvette world, on the new corvette's there's zero mechanical or electrical difference between a California car and a car sold elsewhere. It's simply a sticker and paperwork that's associated with that RPO code. Wouldn't GM just give that with all their new cars if that's the case?

Anywho, thank you for checking in for me. If I do this, I need to leave town by Tuesday due to scheduling constraints.

-Baffled in MN :)

No problem. I'll see what I can learn on Monday.

Again, my suspicion is it may only involve some ecm tweaks for different regions.

Heh, looks like we'll BOTH maybe learn something....

• Like 1

I am not going to say i am 100% on this but i would bet pretty much nothing is different except the sticker. If they can get the same performance out of a build with the stricter emissions i would think they would just build them all that way. Thinking cali government still wants the sticker.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 8/19/2017 at 8:48 PM, fbachman said:

No problem. I'll see what I can learn on Monday.

Again, my suspicion is it may only involve some ecm tweaks for different regions.

Heh, looks like we'll BOTH maybe learn something....

So what was the verdict on this as i am in Washington state looking to get a 2018 gmc sierra with the  L83 - ENGINE, 5.3L V8 ECOTEC3     MAH - MARKETING AREA NORTH AMERICA; 

NC7 - FEDERAL EMISSION OVERRIDE     NE1 - 50-STATE EMISSIONS

NE8 - EVAPORATIVE SYSTEM LEVEL 3 EMISSIONS    NUF - EMISSION SYSTEM CALIFORNIA