31 MPG is this for real? 2017 6.2 Denali

On my way home today I was playing the let's get the best gas mileage I can get game and I was stunned. I know the DIC can over estimate a bit but if it is even in the same ballpark I'm impressed. I may be doing a lot more grandpa driving. FYI mods I have are headers, cat-back, Air-raid intake and custom tune. Also a hard tonneau cover as well as 400lbs + in the bed tools and bedside.

I set the cruise at 59mph and shut off the AC.4fc6de64c5b2b79eaffbd10efe11ceb8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Highly unlikely for more than a few miles downhill.

I stayed over 30 MPG the last 15 miles of my ride going up and down hills even kicking into V8 once in a while. I think the headers and intake helps a lot. Kinda wish I tried this before I had that done to see how much it helped.

• Like 1

Yes Ive seen 30 mpg plus for 10-20 miles in my 2017 6.2. Under good terrain low wind etc In and out of v4. On my 2010 with afm we dyno'd and found any mod that moves or increases the torque down low will allow v4 to come in sooner

Good mileage like that can be done periodically, especially if you drive on flat terrain at lower speeds. You can also do well on mildly hilly land if there's no traffic around and you gain speed downhill and coast into the uphills. Basic hypermiling techniques. Even better if there's a bit of a tail wind.

Obviously, you won't be able to run a long term average that high, but you will improve it quite a bit, just by making a few small adjustments to driving style. It is kinda cool at least having the ability to get good economy, even if you don't take advantage of it all the time. Much better than trucks from 30 yrs ago that got shitty mileage no matter what you did.

• Like 1

For being only 25 miles, that is possible. 50 miles at that, possible but more unlikely.

I think I can stay above 25 MPG easily no matter how many miles as long as I did not have to stop for toll booths and traffic and stayed below 60 mph.

Yes Ive seen 30 mpg plus for 10-20 miles in my 2017 6.2. Under good terrain low wind etc In and out of v4. On my 2010 with afm we dyno'd and found any mod that moves or increases the torque down low will allow v4 to come in sooner

Glad to see someone else has had the same results. I definitely tried to help get some more torque down low pretty much the most I could without adding a supercharger. I also think with intake and headers it helps make the engine more efficient.

It is real. It is such a small sample size though, so it is not representative of real driving with on-ramps and slowdowns etc.

Of couse it was a straight run. But to me that is highway driving. Not sure exactly what the definition of highway driving is? As in how they calculate it.

Of couse it was a straight run. But to me that is highway driving. Not sure exactly what the definition of highway driving is? As in how they calculate it.

It's not representative of real driving though. It's a skewed result because it's impossible to maintain that rate of usage. You need to include a cold start, acceleration on the on ramp, braking for traffic slowdowns, etc.

Hand calculated from pump to pump is the only true measure.

• Like 1

As was said the more torque down low you get the less throttle you need to get the truck moving. Timing traffic lights is a big plus there After that steady state cruising, drafting other vehicles or tailwinds can be a smaller plus. Mild grade changes will mostly cancel out.