Rear end noise 2017 Silverado

Have this now and noise has been reduced 95%. Just installed so no telling how long it will last. The remaining 5% noise could be from the lower leaf still slapping or something else.

IMG_5656.JPG

Edited by Logroller

another view. I did not clean and lubricate this time, just put in cut tubes from the dirt bike. Placed between top an middle leaf and middle and bottom leaf at both ends. That is 4 pieces per side. 

IMG_5654.JPG

Edited by Logroller

20 hours ago, jay webb said:

as a tech at a gmc dealership i see this very often. this is what we do, we spoke with an engineer. there are updated leaf spring pads the dealership can install in replacement of the old ones. the old ones are rectangle in shape between the leaf springs. the new ones are like the round ones on the lower leaf spring. there is no actual bulletin or anything that calls for this. but gm has been approving the warranty claims for this. it typically takes about 30-1hr to complete. not a very difficult job. i did it 3 times this week at work. 

You have a part number by any chance?

28 minutes ago, Chad2815 said:

You have a part number by any chance?

not off hand. ill see if i can come across it on monday when i go back to work. if you look at the picture in the post above yours you will see the pad im talking about its the round one on the lower leaf spring. you get those and install them on the upper leaf springs 

21 hours ago, jay webb said:

as a tech at a gmc dealership i see this very often. this is what we do, we spoke with an engineer. there are updated leaf spring pads the dealership can install in replacement of the old ones. the old ones are rectangle in shape between the leaf springs. the new ones are like the round ones on the lower leaf spring. there is no actual bulletin or anything that calls for this. but gm has been approving the warranty claims for this. it typically takes about 30-1hr to complete. not a very difficult job. i did it 3 times this week at work. 

Glad to hear this.  My dealership is replacing both left and right spring packs with "NEW" designed ones with new insulators and insulator locations is what they told me.  I go in this Friday for the appointment.  The service adviser didn't even know about the new leaf spring configuration.  He was simply saying that replacing them would just be the same ones with the same problems.  But the tech comes out and says "new leaf springs on both sides".  The adviser kind of shocked asked the tech why if they are just the same leaf springs?  Tech said they are different and a fairly new addition to the fix GM is putting out.  

Here's to hoping it fixes my clunky rear end!!!! 

On 8/17/2019 at 9:56 PM, Praedator said:

Glad to hear this.  My dealership is replacing both left and right spring packs with "NEW" designed ones with new insulators and insulator locations is what they told me.  I go in this Friday for the appointment.  The service adviser didn't even know about the new leaf spring configuration.  He was simply saying that replacing them would just be the same ones with the same problems.  But the tech comes out and says "new leaf springs on both sides".  The adviser kind of shocked asked the tech why if they are just the same leaf springs?  Tech said they are different and a fairly new addition to the fix GM is putting out.  

Man I sure wish i got that kind of service from the dealer I bought from, I just got the service adviser telling me that it is my fault and there is no solution. May have to escalate the matter with a phone call to GM/Chevy.

On 8/17/2019 at 6:56 PM, Praedator said:

Post your receipt write up from the tech so we can see what they did and codes. 

I got a 2017 Silverado 1500 4x4 Z71. 24,xxx miles on it and just took it to the dealer for the same issue. At first, the dealer said the tech couldn’t get it to duplicate the issue (of course). Took it back same day & had the tech do a test drive with me in the truck and got the noise to happen. He said I’m going to have to leave and see what he could find, but that I “may” have to just deal with it until it gets worse. BULLSHIT!! So we shall see how long this process takes (after reading other posts) and see what the outcome is. Also, I don’t know if anyone has had the seat move while turning? Been at the dealer before for that issue and put the retainer clip on the front seat slide. Excited to see what “run a round” they give me with that issue. Wish me luck lol. 

Took mine in today 2017 Silverado Z71 , they said thier was not a fix. The tech showed me how to duplicate the noise. He started to shake the bed of the truck left to right and the truck started to clunk. He said it was the axle shafts beating around. He also showed me on a 2019 trail boss. LOL

Edited by Jh8473
Spelling

You can fight the dealership or upgrade your suspension which will not only get rid of the noise but help every facet of driving. Had them for years and forgot about this problem.  Roadmaster active suspension. Noise gone, wheel hop gone, that annoying squirrely backend when going over bumps/ curbs.  Drives like a caddy. Look all over the net only 5 star reviews for a reason. 2015 ltz 6.2

By the way the noise is from leaf movement during axle wrap. I'm sure there are cheaper solutions, but these are worth every penny. No drilling required. 

Edited by Abiker21