AFM kicks in more frequently

I have driven other Silverado's of the same year (2016) and without a doubt, my AFM activates way more than the others. I also drove a 2017 and that barely ever went into AFM. I felt like I had to work at it in order to engage AFM. 

Does anyone know if there may have been an update in the past year?

Has anyone else seen this same behavior across multiple samples? 

Yes. Common reasons AFM not activating or not as it should:

(also read other comments in that link...fuel octane...wind resistance...heck even putting bigger tires on it so the truck thinks its say for example doing 58 but you really are doing 63mph...throws it off)

Edited by Paintor

Do others AFM kick in when driving below 20mph through their neighborhood? It's just a pain in the ass slowing down for speed bumps while in V4 mode then the engine stumbling out of V4 mode after the speed bump.

GM needs to go back to the drawing board in this. V4 mode should only kick in when in over drive at speeds above 60.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

A horse well beaten this topic is. AFM is a load triggered device and lives within a set of bounds. Outside these bounds it doesn't operate at all. Inside them it does so load and time dependent. It is very sensitive to load. Enough so that even a bad alignment can impact it's behavior. We could understand it better if GM were more willing to share its particulars. 

That said I've been fairly successful at reducing load and keeping it on enough to make a measureable impact on mileage without a OBDII device without those particulars. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear

My V4 mode kicks in while driving around the neighborhood and kicks out seamlessly.  If your truck is stumbling in and out of V4 mode then take advantage of your warranty and get it repaired.   I know there are forum members reporting issues with AFM but my GM trucks have taken advantage of this technology over the past 8 years without issue.   

• Like 1

I decided to just get a Range AFM Disabler. Also purchased the extension with on off switch in case it will sit for a few days.

Im just so sick and tired of AFM. Damn Chevy along with Obama.

If it just came on while at highway speeds then I wouldn't have a problem with it but when I'm driving 25 miles an hour and come up to a hill, I want that V8 power right away. Not when the engine feels like switching back into "regular" mode and out of gimp mode.

Once this last year of my warranty is over, I'll get a custom tune and say by to "gimp" mode forever.

On 11/12/2017 at 9:09 PM, Obscenejesster said:

I decided to just get a Range AFM Disabler. Also purchased the extension with on off switch in case it will sit for a few days.

Im just so sick and tired of AFM. Damn Chevy along with Obama.

If it just came on while at highway speeds then I wouldn't have a problem with it but when I'm driving 25 miles an hour and come up to a hill, I want that V8 power right away. Not when the engine feels like switching back into "regular" mode and out of gimp mode.

Once this last year of my warranty is over, I'll get a custom tune and say by to "gimp" mode forever.

My 2017 AFM is absolutely seamless.  I don't feel it at all, on the highway or in the city. Occasionally I'll pay attention to the DIC to see what mode it's in. 

If you feel like it's going in and out of gimp mode, something's not right. I would have it checked while I still have a warranty..

• Like 2

Maybe I'm just lucky with my truck, but  I think V4 works great.  I'm averaging 18-19 mpgs in mixed driving, and I never feel like AFM is getting in my way.    I hardly ever notice it. 

That said, I'm deliberately very light-footed in my driving.  Maybe that's the difference. 

• Like 3

I have been driving with the range for about 3 weeks now and previously liked the V4 mode. Only thing i noticed with the range installed is the trans doesnt hunt for gears. 

Before the range it used to hunt for gears going in and out V4 mode. 

My AFM was seamless before I deactivated it due to the infamous AFM oil consumption problem (it was eating a quart of oil an hour at highway speeds).  Turning it off didn't result in any noticeable drop in fuel mileage, either.  (Window sticker said 14/19 for EPA fuel mileage.  Yeah right, more like 10-12 city and 15-16 highway.  The DIC lies by being about 20% overoptimistic on fuel used and mpg and has since new.)  My truck has the 3.42 gears and factory stock tires. 

I turned the AFM off with a Hypertech Max Energy Power Programmer 2.0.  It lets you turn AFM completely off, or set the minimum speed at which AFM activates. 

Edited by MaverickZ71
  • Like 1

My AFM was seamless before I deactivated it due to the infamous AFM oil consumption problem (it was eating a quart of oil an hour at highway speeds).  Turning it off didn't result in any noticeable drop in fuel mileage, either.  (Window sticker said 14/19 for EPA fuel mileage.  Yeah right, more like 10-12 city and 15-16 highway.  The DIC lies by being about 20% overoptimistic on fuel used and mpg and has since new.)  My truck has the 3.42 gears and factory stock tires. 

I turned the AFM off with a Hypertech Max Energy Power Programmer 2.0.  It lets you turn AFM completely off, or set the minimum speed at which AFM activates. 
Nice. Only reason I went with the Range is because I still have a year left on the bumper to bumper warranty. I don't need GM dicking me around and telling me that turning AFM off caused a drive train issue. These car manufacturers will look for any reason to deny warranty work. They know that 95% of us won't bother hiring a lawyer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaverickZ71 said:

So are you saying it no longer uses oil at the rate of a quart per hour:rolleyes: Really? How did you ever make it to the end of the driveway? :lol:

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Haha 1

Just installed the Range device with a power switch on my '16 Silverado. To avoid any codes from being thrown in the future, the switch helps. If you wait until after the vehicle is started to turn it on, it should not effect the system start up checks.

Took it out for a 40 mile drive and let me just say, this truck is so much better without V4 mode. My slight vibration on the highway has also stopped which leads me to believe it was AFM causing the issue.

The biggest change however is no more sloppy shifting at slow speeds.

Lastly, it looks like my MPG hasn't changed a bit. If it did, the change is so small, its noticeable. With more time I'll be able to get a better idea.

Screw GM and Democrats for forcing fuel mileage down our throats. If I cared about MPG then I would have purchased a Prius. GM and the government should at least give their customers the option of paying a tax and purchasing a non AFM V8

• Like 1

My 2017 AFM is absolutely seamless.  I don't feel it at all, on the highway or in the city. Occasionally I'll pay attention to the DIC to see what mode it's in. 
If you feel like it's going in and out of gimp mode, something's not right. I would have it checked while I still have a warranty..
I'm in this camp, I never notice nor feel any discomfort like lack of responsiveness.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk