Engine temp going over 210?

loww02

I just purchased a 2018 Silverado crew cab z71 with the 5.3 about a month ago and I have put about 1500 miles on it. This weekend I noticed when I was driving to and home from the desert that my temp would go a little over 210 while on a hill, and as soon as I would get to a less aggressive grade the temp would drop back down to 210 within seconds. The highest it has gotten was about 220, and I'm just wondering if this really is normal. I had a 2002 Silverado and it never went past 210, even when it was over 100 degrees out. 

I just purchased a 2018 Silverado crew cab z71 with the 5.3 about a month ago and I have put about 1500 miles on it. This weekend I noticed when I was driving to and home from the desert that my temp would go a little over 210 while on a hill, and as soon as I would get to a less aggressive grade the temp would drop back down to 210 within seconds. The highest it has gotten was about 220, and I'm just wondering if this really is normal. I had a 2002 Silverado and it never went past 210, even when it was over 100 degrees out. 
Welcome to having a real coolant temp gauge. Perfectly normal.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Factory thermostat trigger temperature is 207 F with a +/-3 error. Don't kid yourself the oil temp is a good deal hotter. :lol:

On my Sierra my oil temps are generally the same or lower then the engine coolant temps. I have a ScanGauge II monitoring engine oil temps. Normal highway driving (no towing) I see around 200F during the summer (190's winter). Towing 3000 lb boat in 5th gear I might see 215F. Everywhere I drive is generally flat so towing up grades would probably be a little higher. I believe all the EcoTec3 V8 engines have oil coolers (not sure about the V6).

• 4 years later...

It’s fine. My car’s normal ECT is 220-230*F. Boiling point is ~260*F on your engine. No worries. 

There’s much less air on “the pass” than at sea level, which means less heat transfer. 

Edited by 16LT4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Brandon Ure said:

My 2016 Sierra was creeping up on 230 going over the pass. Came down as soon as the hill was breached, but makes me sweat a little. Any suggestions?

High heat makes a motor more thermally efficient but it doesn't make it more reliable. Heat is the enemy of reliability. For decades the design of cooling system utilized 180 F thermostats and radiators large enough to maintain that temperature. Then for some time it was 192 F and now..............

Question: What effect does heat have on oils viscosity? What effect does viscosity have on mechanical reliability? If you know the answers to those two the you have to ask yourself what it means for a motor whose specifications include both a 207 F thermostat AND 0W20 oils? 🤔

Normal? To the design it is. To longevity it isn't. You get to choose. How happy for you, right? 

It may seem I didn't answer your question but within this reply is every piece if information you asked for and more. 

• Like 1