CodeManStan

Best Year Silverado? (Late 90s to mid 00s)

Hey guys!

I have always been more of a car guy but have been considering picking up a truck to use for driving in bad weather, taking up into the woods and up in the mountains.
I currently daily drive a 2013 Camaro that I obviously don't want to drive up into the woods or the mountains lol

I think would be looking at getting something around the late  90's to early or mid 00's (my budget would probably be around 10-12k), would want at least the extended cab and 4-wheel drive.

What are the best years & models in that range? Would you suggest gas or diesel? And why? Things to look out for, etc?

1500 vs 2500? I am guessing the 2500 is bigger and/or has a bigger engine, is more heavy duty, etc... is that correct?

Sorry, I am kind of a noob when it comes to truck stuff so please educate me!

Thanks in advance!

Unless you will be hauling or towing heavy loads I would be on the look out for the lowest mileage 04-06 K1500 you can find. Most of them will probably be 5.3l gassers, might be some 4.8 V-8's and V-6's around too. All of those engines in those year ranges are very reliable before they started with the AFM. If you think you need the heavier duty K2500 you will have the choice of the 6.0 gasser or the Duramax oiler, I think for someone new to the truck world your best choice would be the 6.0 gasser as it has proven to be a very durable engine over many years. No matter what level you look at, make sure you really test the 4wd system, the autotrac pushbutton engagement system has numerous points of possible failure. And of course have a mechanic put it on a rack to check it over for rust and all the other issues a vehicle with that much age may have.

WIh 10-12k you can get a clean GMT-800 (1999-2007).  If youre set on GMT-800 (1988-1998), I would go with a low mileage 1998.  They are the lastest model and have good reputations.  

• Like 1

I would look for the lowest mileage and cleanest GM 1/2 ton from any year.  They were all good.  Post carburetor '80's are also great!

My last 2 trucks have both been GMT800s and I loved them. Had a 2000 with 340k miles when my brother totaled it and a 2004 sitting in my yard as my extra truck with 370k miles on it. You can't go wrong with those trucks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

A GMT-400 body on top of a GMT-800 frame lol that would be the best.

In all seriousness, if you want start and drive it you can't beat a really nice shape 1999-2007 GMT-800 truck. 

• Like 2

In all seriousness, if you want start and drive it you can't beat a really nice shape 1999-2007 GMT-800 truck. 
I'd almost be willing to buy that if you built it

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

On 12/12/2017 at 2:58 PM, Logan Lanfear said:

WIh 10-12k you can get a clean GMT-800 (1999-2007).  If youre set on GMT-800 (1988-1998), I would go with a low mileage 1998.  They are the lastest model and have good reputations.  

Ditto. I had a 1998 WT K1500 with the 5.0, low miles. I loved that truck. I'd still be driving it if the government didn't require me to put the children in car seats. had to let her go 2 years ago with only 130,000 miles for $3250. I already had signed papers on my new truck, or I would not have let it go for that. Dealer offered me $3000 for trade in.

On 2017-12-16 at 2:22 PM, newdude said:

Sure as long as you keep the GMT400's brake lines that don't rot away at the sound of the word salt. As a fleet manager on site, I had never seen brake lines rot away like they do on the GMT800 trucks. On the plus side, they helped me convince the ownership to spend some extra money on undercoating the new fleet. 

1 hour ago, Daly said:

Sure as long as you keep the GMT400's brake lines that don't rot away at the sound of the word salt. As a fleet manager on site, I had never seen brake lines rot away like they do on the GMT800 trucks. On the plus side, they helped me convince the ownership to spend some extra money on undercoating the new fleet. 

I can attest to this as I just got done replacing all of my brake lines with stainless steel on my 04. However they are still very reliable trucks. My dad has a 2000 with the 5.3 that's got 312k on her that's been beat to hell. It still runs perfect though and he drives it daily. The weak point is the 4l60 tranny. Get a 2500 with the 4l80 and don't worry about a transmission rebuild every 100k miles. 

On 11/28/2017 at 10:29 AM, CodeManStan said:

Hey guys!

I have always been more of a car guy but have been considering picking up a truck to use for driving in bad weather, taking up into the woods and up in the mountains.
I currently daily drive a 2013 Camaro that I obviously don't want to drive up into the woods or the mountains lol

I think would be looking at getting something around the late  90's to early or mid 00's (my budget would probably be around 10-12k), would want at least the extended cab and 4-wheel drive.

What are the best years & models in that range? Would you suggest gas or diesel? And why? Things to look out for, etc?

1500 vs 2500? I am guessing the 2500 is bigger and/or has a bigger engine, is more heavy duty, etc... is that correct?

Sorry, I am kind of a noob when it comes to truck stuff so please educate me!

Thanks in advance!

I prefer the 2016, but the 1970's are the best chevy trucks.