How much weight?

I recently just added  around 500 pounds over the rear axle of my 2500 to increase traction this winter. While I definitely noticed an increase in traction it didn't seem to make the back end of my leveled 2500 squat at all. So I guess I'm just curious, how much weight does it take to get one of these trucks to squat a little bit.

I dropped the back end of my 2015 2500 with a set of McGaughy's drop shackles and then put on a set of Sumo Springs in place of the bump stop. the 2500 now sits with maybe 1.5" of rake in the back.  When loaded down with about a ton of stuff, it rides just about level.  It does take some serious weight to make them squat in the back.  My guess, more weight than they are rated for.

I'm fairly certain the truck won't sit level until you hit 1.5-2 tons in the bed.  This is with the stock rake.

This observation is based off hauling mulch over the summer.  I feel like each ton lowers the rear about an inch to inch and a half.

fwiw I have a reg cab rated to haul about 4k pounds 

• 2 weeks later...

i run 6 #1 railway ties, so about 120lbs a piece, and it still doesnt sit level. But for winter traction, the best weight i found was 6 5 gal pails of concrete strapped to the tail gate. It actually made more of a difference over the railway ties.

i run 6 #1 railway ties, so about 120lbs a piece, and it still doesnt sit level. But for winter traction, the best weight i found was 6 5 gal pails of concrete strapped to the tail gate. It actually made more of a difference over the railway ties.
I know what you mean, I had 600 pounds of salt at the tailgate (water softener and rock salt), and it made a real difference on slippery roads, even with snow tires.

Steve
2012 2500hd 6.0l

Archived