HEATED WASHER FLUID

Not sure if this topic was discussed before but anyone installed heated washer fluid system in a 2014 and up sierra/silverado?
Why would you do that, just fill it up with fluid that can handle the temp.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Bash74 said:

Why would you do that, just fill it up with fluid that can handle the temp.

Those of us that had GM trucks with the heater wipers remember how fantastic it was for defrosting your windows, or clearing ice when driving.  Damn I miss them.

I've never installed one but, I had it on my previous Yukon and loved it in the winter. Worked great except for when the spray nozzles would freeze (would have to break the ice off them). Then there was the time I had a CD case sitting in the area in front of the button. It would hit the button causing the wipers to turn on seemingly at random. Took me longer than I care to admit to figure out it was the CD case and not an electrical gremlin.

I think this was the company that originally supplied them to GM. http://www.alphathermusa.com/Products.html

If I recall correctly, the factory units were recalled due to causing fires. The fix was to remove the unit but, on mine they just pulled the fuse.

Those of us that had GM trucks with the heater wipers remember how fantastic it was for defrosting your windows, or clearing ice when driving.  Damn I miss them.
I just don't see how much more difficult it is just to fill it up with fluid and clear the windshield of ice.

23 minutes ago, Bash74 said:

I just don't see how much more difficult it is just to fill it up with fluid and clear the windshield of ice.

This had nothing to do with the fluid type.  This heated the fluid additionally so that it would melt the ice significantly faster.  If you live in a somewhere where it gets really cold in the winter, just having the correct fluid isn't enough too quickly clear the windshield.  Heck, with the heaters, you wouldn't even have to scrape your windows off in the morning, just check to make sure the wipers weren't stuck to the glass.  Plus, this would work great while driving when you'd get a buildup of ice that the wipers couldn't take care of.

1 hour ago, RubiconJoey said:

I've never installed one but, I had it on my previous Yukon and loved it in the winter. Worked great except for when the spray nozzles would freeze (would have to break the ice off them). Then there was the time I had a CD case sitting in the area in front of the button. It would hit the button causing the wipers to turn on seemingly at random. Took me longer than I care to admit to figure out it was the CD case and not an electrical gremlin.

I think this was the company that originally supplied them to GM. http://www.alphathermusa.com/Products.html

If I recall correctly, the factory units were recalled due to causing fires. The fix was to remove the unit but, on mine they just pulled the fuse.

Plus gave us those cheques for elimination of the option, haha.

1 minute ago, Bash74 said:

I live in interior Alaska and even when it gets to -50 I can pull the handle spray the fluid and it clears the windshield.

Haha, that doesn't work for all of us.  Guaranteed that the heater wipers would clear faster than non heated anyday.

Haha, that doesn't work for all of us.  Guaranteed that the heater wipers would clear faster than non heated anyday.
It works for me in -50 in a few swipes back and forth and all clear, and while driving it's like 2 swipes or 1. So if it works in -50 it should work most places. It's also probably why it's not standard or even an option from on a lot of vehicles. Even the ones on the 2017 Ford SUV melts ice in 10min and only down to -18. Now I know the heated Everblades wipers are complete garbage because the wife had them on her used car from previous owner and it took a lot longer to clear windshield and wipers then the fluid so took them off put a good set of Bosch on. Just have to use the proper fluid, like the one that is good to -58.

On 1/4/2018 at 10:45 AM, sdeeter19555 said:

If I was to do this, I would just wrap a short piece of copper tubing around a heater hose and run my washer lines to/from that...simple.

Steve
2012 2500hd 6.0l

But it wouldn't create any heat till the engine coolant starts to warm. The Alpha Therm system starts creating heat as soon as the engine is running and battery voltage is above 13 volts. Suppose to take between 10-20 seconds to reach 140-150F

On 1/3/2018 at 11:05 PM, 99silveradoz71 said:

Loved having the heat on my 08.

What exactly kind of system did the 08 have?

Was it heated fluid or a heated rest where the wiper blades rest or both?

Could that system from the 08 be installed in the new model?

Thanks.

Archived