Is the newer 5.3 enough engine

Jeffburd

I have an equipment trailer that I tow with mine... 5.3 / 3.42 crew cab just like you're looking at. It tows FINE. The motor may rev a bit more with the trailer (I typically haul 6500-7000 combined trailer and cargo), and the mileage will drop when you tow. But, in the end, the extra you spend in gas for the tow times is WAY LESS than the extra you'll spend for a 3/4 ton and the extra gas all the time.

If you have a lot of "stuff" to take with you when you drag the camper, that's a different story - the 3/4 is going to be the better choice in that scenario.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can give you some decent first hand knowledge.   My current camper is a 31 foot pull behind, 6000 lb dry weight, 7500 loaded. 650 ish hitch weight. 

My first truck was a 15 GMC double cab, 5.3 flex fuel,  6.5 ft bed, Z71 (locking rear, 4x4, 3.42 gears, max tow 9400lb)  I used an Equalizer hitch and a tekonsha p3, probably the best add on brake controller I have ever used.

I loved that truck for day to day use.  It would also start and stop the camp fine.  The 5.3 is an amazing motor. Yes the 6.2 is a beast, but I honestly could not justify the extra buy in cost.  It just didn't seem like smart money.  I got good mpg  for a 4x4 truck.  Comfortable. But...

We camp almost every other weekend from sometime in April until sometime in November.  Various types of roads. The GMC did ok on two lane roads, rolling 55 mph.  Power was no problem, going up hills was no problem.  On the interstate, power was never a problem.  Having to stop more often due to the 26 gal gas tank was a pain.  But the 31 ft trailer pushed the truck around  in wind and on the interstate.   A LOT!

We go to the outer banks and Myrtle Beach as well.  On 95 south a semi passed us at 90 and cut us off to make an exit at the last min.  It came so close to sending us into a flip from the sway.  Calm hands and quick thinking to hit the manual override on the brake controller was what saved us. 

IMG_10323.JPG

When I got home I bought a bigger truck, 3/4 ton Chevy Duramax.  I went looking for a 3/4 ton gas but ended up with the diesel because we want to make some further out trips and even now we spend a good deal of time in the blue ridge and appalachian mountains.

The reason to go 3/4 ton has nothing to do with power, the 1/2 5.3 has plenty of power, the 5.3 with the max tow (3.73 gears) will power it wonderfully.  But you have 31 feet of sail behind you in a 5500 lb truck.  You can do it, but you will have to pay attention to wind, traffic, road conditions and as always slow down.

My 17 3/4 Duramax on the other hand, when we get where I am going, I am not as worn out, its a much more enjoyable drive.  You don't get pushed around on the interstate, it is really a night and day difference.

And has nothing to do with power. 

I will tell you I got regularly 20 mpg back and forth to work in the 5.3, but towing was at best 10, and a number of times in single digits in the mountains.  Diesel, 15 mpg is what I get towing most of the time. 

long and short, it really is worth it to go 3/4 ton, esp if you tow more than a couple of times in the summer.  If you only do a couple of trips, then you can get by with the 1/2 ton.

IMG_12124.JPG

You can tow it with a properly equipped 1500 5.3. But you will tow it with way more confidence with a 2500. Your advertised dry weight may be 6,000lb but real world loaded up you are probably closer to 7500- 8000 lb. range .2500hd is just more truck

42 minutes ago, FreeAmerican said:

The reason to go 3/4 ton has nothing to do with power, the 1/2 5.3 has plenty of power, the 5.3 with the max tow (3.73 gears) will power it wonderfully.  But you have 31 feet of sail behind you in a 5500 lb truck.  You can do it, but you will have to pay attention to wind, traffic, road conditions and as always slow down.

This is the best advice given so far. Everyone worries about if the engine is enough for their towing. Yes, the 5.3 can do the job if you feed it enough gasoline.

The danger comes from the lesser weight of the tow vehicle. A heavier 3/4 ton will always be safer for braking and steering to control a large TT. But if you only tow a few times a year and not extreme distances, you can get by just fine doing it with the 1500. It really comes down to whether you can justify your truck use the rest of the year vs. the few times you pull the big trailer. In your shoes I would probly stick with the 1500, just know the limits of your truck to drive within safe limits.

39 minutes ago, Bobaloo22 said:

Good Advice Free American! 

The difference in weight between the heaviest 1500 and lightest 2500 is about 300 lbs. Easy Wilbur. But type to type, like CC to CC are close to a 1,000 lbs. By itself does that matter? Near Elephant Butte, I25 NM I've seen 88,000 lb. semi's blown over in the notch. I'm suggesting that it's the suspension fitted to the 2500 and not entirely it's weight that calms the beast. The 3500's are actually only a few hundred pounds heavier than the 2500 and yet the step change between the 3500 and 2500 is greater than the difference between the 2500 and 1500. No weight to matter there.  Again the game changer is the suspension. Can you fit up a 1500 for sway improvement? Yep. Will it be cost effective? Um....sounds like a personal accounting function. Like accounting for what is most important to you. 

You can tow the State of Alaska with a 90 horsepower 1950 Chevy 216 I6. These questions about if this motor or that motor is enough or capable are really questions of the drivers patients. GG Alan, my old boss use to tow a 40 footer anywhere and everywhere he pleased with a 70 Ford half ton and a four speed behind a 240 straight six. Mountains bothered him not. Then again GG was never in a hurry. He hauled it over Wolf Creek pass a time or two. 10,856 feet and 6.8% grade. Nobody runs that twisty switchback at 70 mph. More like 7 mph. :lol:

14 hours ago, i82much said:

i get 16 mpg under ideal conditions in my 6.0, i would expect 21 or so in similar conditions with a 5.3.

I'm on my second 6.0 and I have never ever done better than 14mpg @ 65mph with no wind.  Maybe coasting downhill I could hit 16mpg.

1 hour ago, Grumpy Bear said:

The difference in weight between the heaviest 1500 and lightest 2500 is about 300 lbs. Easy Wilbur. But type to type, like CC to CC are close to a 1,000 lbs. By itself does that matter? Near Elephant Butte, I25 NM I've seen 88,000 lb. semi's blown over in the notch. I'm suggesting that it's the suspension fitted to the 2500 and not entirely it's weight that calms the beast. The 3500's are actually only a few hundred pounds heavier than the 2500 and yet the step change between the 3500 and 2500 is greater than the difference between the 2500 and 1500. No weight to matter there.  Again the game changer is the suspension. Can you fit up a 1500 for sway improvement? Yep. Will it be cost effective? Um....sounds like a personal accounting function. Like accounting for what is most important to you. 

You can tow the State of Alaska with a 90 horsepower 1950 Chevy 216 I6. These questions about if this motor or that motor is enough or capable are really questions of the drivers patients. GG Alan, my old boss use to tow a 40 footer anywhere and everywhere he pleased with a 70 Ford half ton and a four speed behind a 240 straight six. Mountains bothered him not. Then again GG was never in a hurry. He hauled it over Wolf Creek pass a time or two. 10,856 feet and 6.8% grade. Nobody runs that twisty switchback at 70 mph. More like 7 mph. :lol:

Not sure where you get your number, but my 6.5 bed 2500 is 2100 lb heavier than my 6.5 bed 1500. 

I do agree the heavier frame, springs, axles and esp the brakes all add up to the better experience.  As does the heavier transmission.

But physics can not be denied, the heavier truck will have any easier time fighting a trailer. 

13 minutes ago, paracutin said:

I'm on my second 6.0 and I have never ever done better than 14mpg @ 65mph with no wind.  Maybe coasting downhill I could hit 16mpg.

Yes, our experiences are not too different.  By "ideal conditions," I mean summer, no wind, driving 55 mph on a relatively level back road with few stops.  I average 12 commuting to work, 14 interstate driving 75-80 mph.  

I had the same decision to make. Opted for the gas 6.2l max towing.

You have to weigh out your options and how often will it be used for towing. Yes the diesel would be awsome for towing. Being a family man I couldnt swallow the pill of another 7k for the diesel over the 6.2l.

Decisions, Decisions

2 hours ago, FreeAmerican said:

Not sure where you get your number, but my 6.5 bed 2500 is 2100 lb heavier than my 6.5 bed 1500. 

I do agree the heavier frame, springs, axles and esp the brakes all add up to the better experience.  As does the heavier transmission.

But physics can not be denied, the heavier truck will have any easier time fighting a trailer. 

Same place you did, I just used the other end of the scale. I compared CCSB 1500 to RCLB 2500 for the 300 lbs. CCSB each for the 'like compare'. You choose the  maximum delta using the RCSB 1500 WT 1 against the CCSB 2500 Top O' the Line. We're grinding opposite sides of the same double sided axe. :thumbs: If weight were all that matter you could fill the box with junk. 

Thanks guys. I may have to bite the bullet and start looking for something bigger. I have been back and forth on this for awhile now and am just read to get something, but I still want to make the right decision the first go around. Wish gmc built something in between the 5.3 and 6.0

18 hours ago, Jeffburd said:

Thanks guys. I may have to bite the bullet and start looking for something bigger. I have been back and forth on this for awhile now and am just read to get something, but I still want to make the right decision the first go around. Wish gmc built something in between the 5.3 and 6.0

Jeff,

The real issue isn’t so much power wise with a 1500, but the suspension as mentioned.

There is a yellow sticker in the drivers door jamb of all vehicle since ‘06. It states the rated payload for that vehicle as it rolled off the assembly line. That weight rating includes: all occupants (kids get heavier as they grow), cargo (bikes, coolers, firewood,etc), any accessories added (tonneau cover/ truck topper, step bars, etc, the wdh, AND the tw of the trailer. Which you 650lb tw is probably from the “brochure”, isn’t it? If so, it’s probably more like 800lbs+ once you load the rig for a trip. The propane tanks and battery weight are not included in the “brochure” weight.

It may not hurt to go weigh your rig with the family to see where you are weight wise. Then go from there for the 1500 vs 2500 decision. The 5.3 with a 3.42 or 3.73 will have the guts to pull ~7000lbs loaded, just depends on the other weights of the items I listed where you stand.

I agree, in some cases a 1500HD or 2500LD with a 5.3/6spd/3.73 and the payload of a 2500 would be nice. 

Our ‘13 2500HD 6.0 has gotten about 16.5mpg down the e-way, but that’s at about 65mph. And I daily drive our HD. Luckily work is now about 10.5mi each way since moving. Though it was only about 13.5mi before.

Good luck deciding and shopping!!!

Archived