How often do you get flashed?

Just curious how often oncoming drivers flash their hi-beams at you.  (specifically those of you with 2016+ HIDs/LEDs).  I have a stock height 2015 Sierra with the Morimoto HIDs (35w) and Rigid SAE fogs.  Seems like I get flashed at least once every other time I drive in the dark.  I wouldn't imagine the levels to be off as I only changed the bulbs.  I can also anticipate when someone is going to flash their lights.  (typically if I'm cresting a hill and their line of sight is below my beam's cutoff)  I'm wondering if this is more the nature of the one-bulb / shutter design.   How often are you folks getting flashed?  (and should I consider adjusting mine)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get flashed as well. Not a lot but more than I’d like. I’ve always figured it’s because people aren’t used to the color of the HID/LED bulbs. The normal incandescents are maybe easier on the eyes... now if we could only get “flashed” that much during the day! LOL! [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just curious how often oncoming drivers flash their hi-beams at you.  (specifically those of you with 2016+ HIDs/LEDs).  I have a stock height 2015 Sierra with the Morimoto HIDs (35w) and Rigid SAE fogs.  Seems like I get flashed at least once every other time I drive in the dark.  I wouldn't imagine the levels to be off as I only changed the bulbs.  I can also anticipate when someone is going to flash their lights.  (typically if I'm cresting a hill and their line of sight is below my beam's cutoff)  I'm wondering if this is more the nature of the one-bulb / shutter design.   How often are you folks getting flashed?  (and should I consider adjusting mine)

All the damn time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually do not get flashed often.  Only situations as you described, when I am cresting a hill or for some reason I am on an incline that puts my headlight cutoff higher than normal.  I generally flash back though, just to show them what high beams actually look like.

Never get flashed, nor should you.

I always flash people that have their headlights aimed too high, or people that throw in high powered bulbs in non projector housings.

Then again, you guys in hilly areas, like the OP, probably can't help it. My second home is VT, and once rented a new CTS for a vaca. I got flashed several times with my low beams on, and aimed properly.

I also think some of the country folk just don't like the new fancy headlights at night.

I don't own a 16+, but I've passed many on the road at night. Gotta say guys those lights really do blind you. I'm young and have excellent vision and still have trouble seeing passing by trucks with those. But now half the new vehicles have some sort of LEDs so you kind of just get used to it. Maybe some of these trucks need their lights adjusted? For what its worth I have LEDs in my '04, but I've never been flashed. 

I get flashed every time I drive at night.  I've adjusted my headlights down but I'm not going to take them any lower because I like to be able to see more than 50' in front of me.  I am lifted 6" so I'm sure that don't help, but most of the ones flashing me are in little butt-dragger cars 1" off the ground.

I will flash people when I can tell they are leveled, (or overloaded in the rear) or have after market headlights, or any other modification that makes their lights brighter or aimed too high. Just last night I drove by a new GMC with the LED lights, I was coming up a very slight hill. I did not flash him, but was thinking, damn those lights are obnoxious.

I only drive about 30% of my miles in the Silverado. The rest is split between the work car and wife's Terrain. I think all people in full size trucks, and especially those with lift/level or weight in the bed need to remember that they are literally blinding anyone on the road who is sitting lower than them. Yes, that includes all the butt-dragger cars. Most of the time, stock trucks don't pose this problem, I can tell it is almost always people with some kind of mod.

Sorry if my flashing bothers you, but you need to realize how inconsiderate everyone else thinks your blinding lights are. Maybe that will prevent you from tailgating someone who can't see the road in front of them because your lights are shooting lasers straight into all 3 of their mirrors.

And I get it, sometimes I drive around with my snowplow lights on at night and people flash me because they are mounted much higher than my headlights. They aren't even any brighter than my stock bulbs, but it reminds me not to get up on people's butts because in that situation, I'm the one blinding them.

end of rant.

Stock lights, 2017, 2in level in the front. I get flashed constantly! I absolutely hate it, they're now blinding me which is even more dangerous. I thought a few times about flashing them back, show them what brights really look like. But that would be dangerous and I am not about that. 

I see other LED headlights out there and yes they are bright when pointed at your face, but it lasts a second and their overall drive is more lit up because of it. I say let em be. 

If my lights are already on low beam and I get flashed, I absolutely hit them back with the high beams!  I can't make my headlights any lower or they would be useless to me at night.  I have factory HIDs so I have a nice, crisp cutoff line.  I set the cutoff well below my wife's eyes when she was sitting in her butt-dragger Honda Accord facing me.  That's as good as it gets, so if I get flashed, I'm flashing back!  :loser: 

2 minutes ago, MidKNIGHTZ71 said:

When i get flashed, i flash back with the light bar... just so they know it can and will get much brighter!! Here is an idea, dont stare at the oncoming traffic's headlights. 

You are the problem, not the solution. Did you ever re-aim your lights after you installed your leveling kit? If not, you are blinding everyone with your low beams.

Archived