Brand new 2018 Silverado comes with rust ?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I'd call it normal. Axle/diff could use a little touch up but the exhaust manifold and machined portions of the brake calipers and mounts are uncoated cast iron and should be expected to oxidize. Mine is the same, and so were my last two.

I don’t think it should be accepted as normal, but it’s nothing to worry about. I’ve got 15,000 miles on my ‘17 and don’t have rust to that extent yet. But your truck could have been hauled on a carrier that drove through some winter weather and encountered some salt spray from the road. Being this time of year it may have been test driven on some salty roads as well. All depends on where the truck originated I guess. Did it have any test drive mileage on it when you took possession of it?

My manifolds were like that as well... my dad was a dick about it when I brought it home.
“Congrats son, it’s a beautiful truck.
*pops hood* nice rusty manifolds by the way”

I would be curious to see pictures of anyone’s truck who claims they don’t have it....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My manifolds were like that as well... my dad was a dick about it when I brought it home.
“Congrats son, it’s a beautiful truck.
*pops hood* nice rusty manifolds by the way”

I would be curious to see pictures of anyone’s truck who claims they don’t have it....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh I have rust, don’t get me wrong. Just not to that extent. I also don’t have any around my rear diff yet, as of 2 days ago when I was under the truck working on side steps. Don’t have any pictures to prove it and can’t take any as I am out of town this weekend.

3 minutes ago, dmorrisL86 said:

Oh I have rust, don’t get me wrong. Just not to that extent. I also don’t have any around my rear diff yet, as of 2 days ago when I was under the truck working on side steps. Don’t have any pictures to prove it and can’t take any as I am out of town this weekend.

I was not taking a shot at anyone. My apologies. I should have been more clear...

I've got 16k on mine and don't have rust like that on the rear either. I was talking exclusively about the manis!

I was not taking a shot at anyone. My apologies. I should have been more clear...

I've got 16k on mine and don't have rust like that on the rear either. I was talking exclusively about the manis!

Gotcha. No worries. I’ve got the rust on the manifolds as well. It was the same on my ‘03 z71 too. Not a problem, just kind of an eye sore when you pop the hood.

Archived