5.3 1500 vrs 6.0 2500

10 hours ago, 426power said:

OK guys I test drove a 2017 2500 HD 6.0 and all I can say is it's a dog stock. With the heavier truck my tuned 5.3 has a lot more power. I understand about the suspension and the rear end on the 2500, but at this point the 1500 is going to be tasked with pulling the trailer until I have had enough and bite the bullet for a Duramax.

5.3 is a dog stock as well

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, 426power said:

OK guys I test drove a 2017 2500 HD 6.0 and all I can say is it's a dog stock. With the heavier truck my tuned 5.3 has a lot more power. I understand about the suspension and the rear end on the 2500, but at this point the 1500 is going to be tasked with pulling the trailer until I have had enough and bite the bullet for a Duramax.

Good decision.  Your experience with the 2500 was unfortunate but don't rule them out.  Running like a "dog" is an expression that shouldn't apply to a properly running new GM truck.  They all come from the factory designed to handle all normal driving scenarios.  When you decide to use your truck for heavy loads or to race RAMS is when you notice the difference.  Take a newer 2500 for a test drive with your trailer attached and you will feel the difference.   

1 hour ago, KARNUT said:

A couple people highly modified their 5.3 to run 13s in the 1/4 mile. You need extensive training to do it, they added E85.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don’t need it highly modified to run 13’s.

there’s a guy on here named gorske, runs 13’s on e85, a tune, and a converter, and it’s not a regular cab.

You don’t need it highly modified to run 13’s.

there’s a guy on here named gorske, runs 13’s on e85, a tune, and a converter, and it’s not a regular cab.

That was the point. Sarcastically replying to the previous post that the 5.3 was a dog.

30 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

That was the point. Sarcastically replying to the previous post that the 5.3 was a dog.

Well it a dog stock, he’s going from a tuned 5.3 to a stock 6.0. Infact when I had a 5.3 loaner, coming out of my stock 6.2, the 5.3 felt like it was down 200hp.

hell a stock 6.2 wouldn’t feel any faster than a tuned 5.3. The torque management and throttle response makes all these trucks “feel” slow when they’re stock.

Well it a dog stock, he’s going from a tuned 5.3 to a stock 6.0. Infact when I had a 5.3 loaner, coming out of my stock 6.2, the 5.3 felt like it was down 200hp.

hell a stock 6.2 wouldn’t feel any faster than a tuned 5.3. The torque management and throttle response makes all these trucks “feel” slow when they’re stock.

It’s a shame you’re so hard to please. My stock 5.3 was faster than most of the performance vehicles I owned in the 70s-90s. I could feel it. It was probably the slowest of my vehicles at the time, the sensation of speed was still there. Definitely not slow.

2 hours ago, j-ten-ner said:

Sometimes I wonder what some peoples dogs are like...

so long

j-ten-ner

Old dogs can be slow but most healthy dogs born after 2014 are really fast!

2 hours ago, KARNUT said:

It’s a shame you’re so hard to please. My stock 5.3 was faster than most of the performance vehicles I owned in the 70s-90s. I could feel it. It was probably the slowest of my vehicles at the time, the sensation of speed was still there. Definitely not slow.

You’ve owned some incredibly slow vehicles than.

You’ve owned some incredibly slow vehicles than.

If you ever get to conroe tx pm me I’ll show you slow. And bring diapers.

Horse power is not a problem. The advantage with the 2500 is the heavier frame and axles. But it makes them quite a bit heavier than the 1500. Which is the main reason it feels like a "Dog".

I wouldn't have a problem towing with your setup.

Wew going to get a lot of responses with this question but I have both of those trucks in our family 5.3 & 6.0. I would pull your load with a 2500HD first before the 5.3 simply just braking, control and I could relax a bit driving because the 2500 is a larger platform period. Forget the 5.3 tune doesn't mean anything in real world pulling its about stopping, control of the trailer and some safety factor of sorts using a larger truck. Is it doable with the 5.3 sure but since you asked for which would be better 2500HD. 

22 minutes ago, DONWT15 said:

Horse power is not a problem. The advantage with the 2500 is the heavier frame and axles. But it makes them quite a bit heavier than the 1500. Which is the main reason it feels like a "Dog".

I wouldn't have a problem towing with your setup.

Spot on Don, there is a lot more to towing  a trailer than just how quick the tow vehicle is, don't think I've ever seen a drag race with a p/u towing a trailer, or for that matter racing up Pike's Peak. Now that I think about it, a 1500 6.2 might win the 1/4 mile towing a TT, but the 6.0 2500 would make it to the top of Pikes Peak either before or after said TT pulled the 1500 over one of those embankments, long ways down.

Archived