Yep. Another towing thread

rforestr

Hello all,

I’ve searched through the threads but can’t find some specifics I was hoping to find so thought I’d go ahead and post. 

I have a 2017 Chev Silverado with NHT (max trailer package). 5.3L V8, 4X4, 3.73 gears. 

Truck has 2003 lbs payload capacity per the sticker on the A pillar, tow “rating” of 10,800lbs. 

Truck has integrated brake controller and I plan to use a WD hitch with sway control (blue ox or equal-I-zer). I’ve pulled a 7x12 with brakes loaded to 3150lbs (per scales) many many times, with no issues whatsoever. 

I’m in the market for a toy hauler and have been doing as much research as I can before I buy anything. The Toy hauler will be used for 5-6 trips a year within a 3-4 hour drive on fairly level roads (southern Ontario) as well as maybe 1-2 trips per year of up to 1000 miles or so - one way. 2 motorcycles with a combined weight of 900lbs are the main toys with perhaps a 3rd bike weighing 425. Max In the truck at any given time might be me, wife and best buddy (200, 150, 80lbs respectively) as well as 100lbs of junk.  Of course I also am thinking another 1000lbs in trailer for usual camp stuff and perhaps fresh water. 

Anyone had had any experience using an NHT outfitted truck for similar weight trailer(s)?  I know that any toy hauler is probably better served with a 3/4 ton but I’ve only had the 1500 for 6 months so trading it in is not an option. 

Contenders, in order of preference:

Impact Vapor lite 26V 

“dry” weight 6450

hitch weight 1040

gvwr 11,200 (I know capability is more than the truck)

fresh tank 60 gallons

Puma qbc23

”dry” weight 5480

hitch weight 745

gvwr 7885

fresh tank 51 gallons

grey wolf 22RR

”dry” weight 4850

hitch weight 675

gvwr 7750

fresh tank 48 gallons

Sorry for the long post but figure more info is better. 

Thanks,

Chris

You can comfortably tow something up to the 7 or 8,000 lbs range without too many issues. Yes the truck is rated for over 10g, and can definitely tow that. However, the problem with the weight maxed out is when you hit a big hill going into a strong headwind, such as the westbound 401 at Wooler rd. You'll have the thing to the floor, probably doing 60 or 70 kmh in the slow lane, causing issues for everyone else. Especially not fun on a busy long wknd. You don't want to be 'that guy'......LOL

IMO, get the lightest most aerodynamic one in the size & feature range you want.

Try to keep your gross under about 70-80% of max rating.

Remember that water and other fluids typically add about 8-10lbs per gallon. 

It's not uncommon for people to underestimate how much crap they'll put in the trailer. Account for how much weight this might be & add a margin of error for that; say 500 or more lbs.

You may bring guests at some point, account for that weight.

Just some thoughts, nothing more.....

Will that 1,100# tongue weight be reduced when you put your toys in the rear of the trailer, acting as a counterweight? I would say piece of Cake, if you can't get the tongue weight down, equalizers will make the difference you need for the rear of the truck. 

What does the label on the hitch tell you the rating is for tongue weight with WD?

Hitch is 1200TW 12000pulling
Chevy specs require a WD hitch when pulling anything over 5000lbs according to their published 2017 towing guide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I towed 7000lb loaded car hauler with my 2010 5.3 6 spd with 4.11 gears but with 33” tires so close to 3.73 on stock tires I towed in 5th at 2-2200 rom  at 70 mph  towed fine yes in headwinds / big hills mileage was poor  but still able to maintain speed limit. Just keep the rpm up trying to use 6th just makes the trans shift up and down too much. Builds heat 

I bought my 2014 just to be able to tow my 99 Yukon to Moab at least twice a year, and at 8600 lbs loaded it's not light by any means. The trip includes several big hills and a mountain pass with 6% grades, and I'm very happy with how it tows. I couldn't find the Max Tow package around here at all, so I settled on the 3.42 gears with the 5.3 and 6 speed. I'm a little strange in that I don't feel the need to pull a mountain pass with such weight at 65-70 mph, I'm perfectly fine chugging along at 45-ish. I used to monitor the trans temp closely, but even at full throttle on the pass it barely broke 200, topped out at 203 at one point.

I did decide to switch to full synthetic oil in the 5w-30 weight as I didn't like how low the pressure would drop when the oil got hot from working so hard. Normal is 45-50 running and 35-ish idle, towing would drop to 40 when hot and running, and 20 at idle on the zero weight the factory recommends. I run Mobil1 and pressures in normal service are about the same but they don't drop off when towing, makes me feel much better about the engine when it's working.

I think your truck is a bit overkill for what you plan on doing, but that's never a problem when towing. Better to have too much truck than not enough truck for the job.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

Yep. Mine is the 5.3L V8 with max trailer (RPO - NHT). The 3.73 is on NHT provided you have the 5.3L which is mated to the 6 speed tranny.

Pretty sure if you have the 6.2 and 8 speed you get 3.42 as standard. Don’t think 3.73 is an option.

On 2/12/2018 at 9:12 AM, Nanotech Environmental said:

big hill going into a strong headwind, such as the westbound 401 at Wooler rd. You'll have the thing to the floor, probably doing 60 or 70 kmh in the slow lane,

I might be the only guy on here who gets that reference...none the less I loved reading it.  

I might be the only guy on here who gets that reference...none the less I loved reading it.  

Oh I got his reference too.
Beauty of living in southern Ontario, most of us know the damn “bore - oh - 1” corridor far too well

2 hours ago, dman1458 said:

2 hours ago, rforestr said:

Oh I got his reference too.
Beauty of living in southern Ontario, most of us know the damn “bore - oh - 1” corridor far too well

I figured somebody might get it. Been caught in that uphill logjam more than once, sometimes caused by an underpowered big truck, sometimes caused by a clueless Clark Griswold in a minivan with waaaaay too much camper.... LOL

Archived