Consumer Reports big 4

Black Jack Davey

Just got the 2018 auto issue of consumer reports in the mail fwiw.  In a nutshell here's how they rated the following trucks overall reliability. Each vehicle is rated on 17 different systems'  reliability plus overall. Of course it's just statistics. By buddy's f250 has been trouble free for 70k miles. I won't really be able to brag about how reliable my 2015 silverado 2500 6.0 Vortec is til the 100k mark. My 2 toyota tundras were 100% trouble free for the ~150k that I kept them.  OK, 1 time my 07 Tundra quit while on a road trip due to bad gas. 

Toyota Tundra : much better than average 

Ford f150 : average

Ram 1500: average 

Sierra/silverado 1500: worse than average

Nissan Titan: not rated

Chevrolet silverado 2500 : average

Ford f250: worse than average 

Ram 2500: worse than average 

If anybody cares,  I can scan and post the cr charts. 

Best Regards, 

Dave 

My personal experiences/impressions have never matched the editors at CR.   Even their statistical ratings...

if it’s not a SubaruHondaSmartCar that has a single cylinder hybrid engine that burns blood drained from Republicans, they don’t approve.

Yeah, I have been leary of CR for some time.  They blew it on the Jeep Liberty diesel.  Claimed in got only 17 mpg when the EPA number was 24.  And I consistently got well over 30 mpg on road trips with it.

They would take a container with a measured amount of fuel and drive the vehicle till it used a couple of gallons, and retest dong the same thing.  Problem is, they failed to account that a common rail diesel engine returns some of the fuel that goes thru the pump and rail to the fuel tank.  That is true of all modern diesels.  I informed them of that and they blew it off.  If they can't figure out that commonly known item, kind of hard to believe they have a grasp on much of anything else.

10 hours ago, Cowpie said:

Yeah, I have been leary of CR for some time.  They blew it on the Jeep Liberty diesel.  Claimed in got only 17 mpg when the EPA number was 24.  And I consistently got well over 30 mpg on road trips with it.

They would take a container with a measured amount of fuel and drive the vehicle till it used a couple of gallons, and retest dong the same thing.  Problem is, they failed to account that a common rail diesel engine returns some of the fuel that goes thru the pump and rail to the fuel tank.  That is true of all modern diesels.  I informed them of that and they blew it off.  If they can't figure out that commonly known item, kind of hard to believe they have a grasp on much of anything else.

It's surprising to me how so many don't understand mileage in general. It's simply a volume vs. distance calculation. They seem to rely on their on board calculators or some complex methodology showing them what they want to see during an optimum situation. Real mileage is not represented well with a snapshot in time. Publications like this never get exposed for their stupidity as you described. 

14 hours ago, Cowpie said:

Lots of 'mechanical' fuel injection diesels also return fuel to the main tank. 

My most favorite and best autos were the ones Communist Reports gave the worst reviews to.  Whatever they hate will probably be very well pleasing to me!  Our family quit taking them seriously around 1985.

so they are idiots because they use and report the data that they receive from their subscribers?  That is a huge chunk of how they come up with the reliability ratings.  In the few years i was a CR subscriber I was solicited for feedback on my current autos, they had specific questions about repairs and trouble areas and what not.  Yeah I at one time thought they were biased towards the Crapotas and Hondas out there since they consistently get great ratings since the late 80s and it made me mad to see GM and Ford cars and SUVs doing so shitty vs the imports when it came to reliability, and until the Tundra came out GM Trucks were always the best out of the 3.. But the fact of the matter is that when it comes to reliability, GM, Ford, and Dodge need to up their game now that Toyota is in the 1/2 ton truck market.  Nissan isn't all that great either, they have work to do as well. 

What's the best way to post my scans of cr here? If I could attach a multi page pdf, that would be easiest. Otherwise it's jpgs. 

You might not like their "opinions" and recommendations of new cars, fair enough.  Reliability ratings are based on owner reports. This is objective data, not the editors' subjective opinion. Notice that CR doesn't have advertising in their publications. They purchase the products they test.

Does a below average score on the reliability chart mean that yours will be below average? Of course not, no more than living in Kansas means you'll be hit by a tornado. 

I see this hits a nerve for some of y'all. When comparing vehicles for potential purchase, all I consider is reliability.  For me, reliability trumps features and performance hands down. The reliability ratings in cr have matched well with my own experience and that of friends, family, and acquaintances.

Vehicles I've owned since 1987(not in that chronological order): chevrolet ASTRO van, dodge stratus, honda civic, honda accord, toyota Corolla(3), toyota Tundra (2), Volvo 740, chevrolet silverado 2500(2), nissan hard body p/u. All have been acceptable vehicles in terms of performance and comfort. Sorry,  but you just can't beat a Toyota for reliability. The toyotas I've owned have been 100% trouble free.  I learned through the school of hard knocks. 

My current DD is a 2009 honda accord, it's got 150k on it. I had some trouble with the a/c that cost $300. Never had that with a Toyota.  Most troublesome vehicle was a 1995 chevrolet 2500 diesel. I sold it with 101k Miles. Before 100k, I had to replace injectors twice, front end ball joints, etc, tranny seals, and torque converter. I was spittin mad about that 95 chevrolet 2500 quality. Swore I'd never touch another big 3 truck after that but when we upgraded our travel trailer, it turned out too heavy for the Tundra to handle so here I am with the truck in my signature.

If my 15 silverado 2500hd matches with cr reliability ratings like everything else I've seen with my own and those I know, that's fine. I can live with average. 

The pdf file is too big to attach. If you send me a pm with your email address, I'll send it your way. Probably better that way anyhow. Wouldn't want to get in trouble for copyright infringement.

Inboxed. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toyota’s are pretty decent vehicles. They are lacking tech big time, and a Huffy bicycle has more tech in a lot of cases. I currently have a 4th gen Tacoma and a Lexus IS350. Great vehicles. I will definitely buy another Lexus. 

My Tundra was pretty decent, but they have flaws like any other vehicle. 

- AIP failures. This can cost thousands to repair. 

- Camshaft Tower leaks, again, thousands to repair. 

- steering rack issues on lifted trucks, certain years, mostly 2nd gen trucks. 

- Front rotors overheating on Tundras up to 12’. The backing plate upgrade was in late 12’. 

- Front differential needle bearing issues. I had this issue with my Tundra (and Tacoma, 4runners). If it wasn’t under warranty, I would have had to do an aftermarket upgrade myself for 200.00 and 5 hours of my time or just replace the front diff. I had Toyota replace the front diff for 2500.00 their cost. This was ~65K miles. At 80k miles my cam tower seals started leaking. I was done. I needed a more heavy duty truck again and stop beating the living shit out of a 1/2 ton truck. 

When Toyota starts manufacturing 900K+ Trucks per year (which is no small feat), then we can start talking. As of now, they have 100k units going out per year and do a good job of that. As of right meow, the Tundra is pretty much unchanged for 12 years now. 

Now for the GM, Ford, Ram trucks.

I had two Rams, and that was enough for two lifetimes. Until that C comes out from under the hood, I wouldn’t consider another one. 

Fords, all my Jeeping friends have F series heavy duty trucks. Only one has had a major issue and it was due to daily driving a diesel truck in regen all the time. 

GM’s, what can I say that we all don’t already know? I wanted a low maintenance, reliable truck that has awesome grade braking. I skipped on the 17 LP5 since it’s the first year of a major motor upgrade. These trucks are like riding in Cadillac’s. 

Archived