How far can I go with the factory radio?

Hi! 

So I'm new, and, well most of my searches turn up 0 results, which has been rather frustrating. I know this information is here somewhere. 

So, worst case, if you can point me that way I'd be very appreciative. 

I have a 2016 silverado LT and I rather like the stereo, its non-bose. The other day a song I really liked came on XM and I was rather frustrated with how muddy the vocals and bass were together. 

When I got my truck, I had some things that needed to be done to it, and I had a truck with bose as a loaner and really liked the sound. 

So.. what can I do? I want to keep the factory headunit. I don't really "like" caraudio, but I want the sound to be clearer, and I'd like to put a small sub (not a window rattler or something) under the stock console if possible. 

From memory, years ago, the only way to do it was to get some kind of line level converters, but I know radios have changed a LOT since 2000. 

Not much has changed as to how everything is hooked up. unfortunately if you want to keep the stock deck then you'll have to go with a LOC (line out converter) to add amps to it. you can try changing just the speakers to see if it ill make enough of a difference for you. For me, it still wasn't loud enough haha

few ppl on here, including me, have put a small sub under the center console. Along with that, i upgraded the speakers and added an amp to them. there's a few threads on here about these.

For my setup I was going with the RD500/1 and the MX500/4 but had to go with the RD400/4 due to the mx series going in over voltage when above 15v, which GM trucks do when starting.

I have the C1 series speakers in the doors and an 8w3 under the center console.

Wow.. I had hoped by now maybe there was some kind of dsp or something we could intercept or something and get sort of a homemade RCA out. 

I don't suppose I NEED a sub, if I can actually improve the sound with the stock speakers.  My concern is that the bass will continue to be muddy so long as I put the bass out and the main audio through the same speaker. 

I don't actually know how these are set up. I assume maybe 4" speakers in the dash, and 2 in each front door (maybe a tweeter and a 6"?) I mean what am I even dealing with here? I don't want to go to like best buy or something, they'll try to sell me something subpar and then butcher my wire harnesses. 

Does someone make the boxes for the center console? I did find one a few weeks ago but. of course now that I'm trying to "write it down" I can't find anything. 

Your first issue is that you're using XM. This is very low quality. How do things sound when listening to a CD?

The front door has a 6x9 in it if I remember correctly. Can easily put a 6.5 in there with an adapter. The dash has a 2.5 in it. Kinda hard to find these but they are out there. I put a 1 inch tweeter in my dash by making a simple mounting plate made out of a cutting board.

JL fix will take speaker level inputs, a flat signal and RCA outputs. There are also many amps on the market that accept speaker level inouts

• Like 1

https://alpine-usa.com/product/view/chevrolet-silverado-gmc-sierra-restyle-sound-system-pss-31gm

If you want to take the guesswork out of everything and have a great sounding system. If you go into an Alpine flagship dealership you can get the system for ALOT cheaper than what alpine wants it for. If you don’t want the sub i think the price drops 1k. I’ve been quoted 750$ for the speakers no sub system since i already have subs. Expensive but worth it.

Huh, I didn't know about that! The price is rather.. unhappy though. 

I got XM because I was using pandora and it just doesn't work on carplay. I was driving hundreds of miles every weekend across the state and couldn't stand fumbling for a station or risking my life trying to get pandora or Iheartradio to work.  XM seemed like the logical step. 

It is interesting that you note the quality of it being low, it's been in the back of my head that the "HD" FM stations seem to sound clearer to me than XM, but Ive been thinking its all in my head. 

Don't 6.5s usually have less bass than 6x9s? I had a friend that was huge into car audio in highschool and he would always talk about this stuff, but that was years ago now. 

Edited by Ashleyfox118

The subwoofer assembly comes with a specifically tuned enclosure for the select 2014-up Silverado or Sierra. It attaches to the back wall behind the rear seat in the truck so it doesn't take up any usable space under a seat. 

Would this interfere with an underseat storage thing? I got one of those a few months ago and love it. 

On 3/16/2018 at 9:36 AM, Ashleyfox118 said:

Hi! 

So I'm new, and, well most of my searches turn up 0 results, which has been rather frustrating. I know this information is here somewhere. 

So, worst case, if you can point me that way I'd be very appreciative. 

I have a 2016 silverado LT and I rather like the stereo, its non-bose. The other day a song I really liked came on XM and I was rather frustrated with how muddy the vocals and bass were together. 

When I got my truck, I had some things that needed to be done to it, and I had a truck with bose as a loaner and really liked the sound. 

So.. what can I do? I want to keep the factory headunit. I don't really "like" caraudio, but I want the sound to be clearer, and I'd like to put a small sub (not a window rattler or something) under the stock console if possible. 

From memory, years ago, the only way to do it was to get some kind of line level converters, but I know radios have changed a LOT since 2000. 

When searching. Enter your search term then click the arrow and change to all content.

• 1 month later...

Being a ex best buy installer I'm alittle offened, lol just little. Sounds like you don't want to get rid of your radio, the piece that controls the quality of sound. So next would be speakers, a simple upgrade. Anything is better than stock paper cone  speakers. As for more bass, don't go cheap on speakers. Not saying get the top end, but a mid range component speaker will do. Then I would show you the alpine inline amp.

https://www.amazon.com/Alpine-KTP-445U-4-channel-Power-Amplifier/dp/B003VVYL46/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1524247586&sr=1-1&keywords=alpine+inline+amp

little much, but it will help with what your looking for. And not having to look at huge amps and then getting amp kits and running power wires. That alpine amp can be added at the later date if you like the sound after the speaker replacement.

A plus with going to Best Buy is a lifetime warranty on the install. And it goes where you go, how many cars I fixed from the states up here in AK.