Greasing the Front End

I pump them so the boot expands but doesn't rupture or push any grease out.  If a bit squeaks out that's fine. 

9 fittings, (2) upper ball joints, (2) lower ball joints, (2) outer tie rod ends, (1) top of the pitman arm where it bolts to the center link, and (2) for the idler arm, one on top of the idler arm where it bolts to the center link, and one at the top of the idler arm bracket. 

• Like 1

Since the answer was already given and this is loosely related. Any suggestions about greasing a trailer axle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Spring shackles or hubs?

All of mine are a type of EZ lube (not a bearing buddy)...pop the rubber center out and there's a grease fitting tapped right in the end of the axle stub.

I need a 90 degree slip adapter to do my shackles...

2012 2500hd 6.0l CCSB 4wd

Spring shackles or hubs?

All of mine are a type of EZ lube (not a bearing buddy)...pop the rubber center out and there's a grease fitting tapped right in the end of the axle stub.

I need a 90 degree slip adapter to do my shackles...

Oh hell. I gotta do the shackles too? I have the rubber covers.fa249e57a761ab55e480c3dc2a8017f0.jpg

Oh hell. I gotta do the shackles too? I have the rubber covers.fa249e57a761ab55e480c3dc2a8017f0.jpg

Maybe, not all shackles are greaseable...

Pop those rubber deals out, should be a fitting in there...pump grease until you see it pushing back out through the outer bearing. It won't hurt the seal, there is no pressure since it can push out through the outer bearing.

• Like 1

Maybe, not all shackles are greaseable...

Pop those rubber deals out, should be a fitting in there...pump grease until you see it pushing back out through the outer bearing. It won't hurt the seal, there is no pressure since it can push out through the outer bearing.

Thanks brother

Don’t want to hijack but I’m curious and it may help the OP.

How often is everyone greasing?
Truck or trailer?

Truck at every oil change, or roughly 5k miles.

Trailer hubs only when I first buy, once the hubs are full I don't worry about them too much as I use a synthetic grease (Schaeffer). The bearings (or brakes) will fail from normal wear before a failure in lube...the last trailer I sold had probably close to 500k miles on the original Timken bearings and grease. None of my junk see that kind of miles now...

Shackles I do probably every other time I'm out...

Steve
2012 2500hd

Even on the EZ lube type, I prefer to just take them apart and pack by hand.  That is the only way to see if bearing issues are starting.  No way to see if any bearings flat spotting, races are turning in the hub, etc without opening things up.  Not really a  big project.  All that is needed is new seals, and they are inexpensive. And one can be sure that new grease is in all the bearing and not just part of it.   And one doesn't have to do it all that often.

• Like 1

I ran out of time, but I started to grease the front end fittings on my 2017 2500 and may pick up a 90 fitting for the grease gun.  This was my second time greasing the fittings and its kind of a PITA ;(  I think a 90 may help for some of the tight spaces.  Jacking up the front end may also make it easier.  I had the truck on ramps and that didn't help much.

I greased my 2017 when I got it and it had like 8000 miles on it.  I put probably 25 shots into the lower balljoints to even get the boots to swell and 15 in the smaller ends. I always grease until the boot is swollen up and always have.  Never have ruptured one yet and as an example at 200000 miles of garbage oilfield roads my 05s front end is still original and tight... can't be doing too much wrong.  I believe is greasing often and do so.. even if I don't change the oil nearly as much as I grease.  The wobble box that drove the knife on our old 495 New Holland haybine drove that home.... greasing it often and using good grease stopped the semi annual bearing changes it always needed..  I expect the front end of this 17 should last a while anyhow.

Edited by SierraHD17