Mud vs all terrain

Il be picking up some new tires in about a week or so

Hoping for some positive feedback 

Mud tires will definitely give my truck a more aggressive look 

But the practicality of mud vs all terrain is something I'm stuck on

My truck is basically a daily rig besides my Harley

I go camping 5-8 times a year up in the Serria Nevadas which are mainly old logging trails light off roading trails 

So 90% of the time il be on city paved roads 

Any input would be appreciated 

Should I jus say **** it go mud 

Or be smart and stay all terrain?

Edited by Silveraidoguy

I was in the same boat you are in when I was trying to decide on what tire to get. I decided I would go with all terrains (Toyo AT2’s). A few days after I had them, I immediately regretted not getting the MTs. So, a month later I go back and got a set of Toyo MTs. 100% satisfied.

mud terrains are horrific on packed snow and ice.  people will swear otherwise until they are blue in the face, but they are wrong.  mt's have little to no siping and hard compounds,  because they have large voids and therefore less tread contacting the road.

first time you come down the mountain and hit a slick spot, you will wish for all terrains at a minimum.

I hear yall 

Iv heard because il mainly be on the road that the MTs will wear down hella fast more or less cuz they really aren't ment for the roads 

Unless I constantly rotate them

I'm also not trying 2 buy new tires every 6 months 

Also MTs come with a lot of road noise which I dont mind I have a system in the truck can't hear shit anyways 

But damn near a lot of lifted trucks I see are rollin MTs

Jus trying 2 get some feedback 

It really comes down to what is more important to you....cool looks....or ride comfort and longevity. Mud tires look cool, but as others have said, they don't last as long, they cost more, they'll return lower MPG, and they don't perform as well in the rain & snow. All terrains are generally cheaper, have less rolling resistance (better MPG), have mileage warranties, are more quiet, and do better in rain & snow....they just don't look as cool. For your situation, I'd recommend a hybrid AT/MT tire, like the Toyo RT, Nitto Ridge Grappler, Falken Wildpeak AT3, Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx, Mastercraft Courser MXT, or Goodyear Duratrac. They're a nice compromise between the two. 

• Like 2