Overland build

I’d love to do some “overlanding”, but it’s all mostly regulated 4 wheeler trails I can’t take a truck on around here. Or just some old woods roads that really lead to nowhere. There’s no areas/trails really that you can ride for days in a truck.  I just haul the kayaks and do some “overwatering” lol, still wake up with great views, only I’m in a hammock. 

Why not a Colorado ZR2?

Funny you say that, I test drove a new zr2 and a 2016 canyon with the baby duramax 2 week’s ago. I couldn’t fathom paying more for a zr2 than I did my Sierra. Wife is kind of wanting a smaller truck, but I don’t!

with the mid size market with such high demand, I realize size vs cost isn’t really a relevant comparison nowadays, but it’s just not how I think still. Sierra is going on it’s 4th year, it’ll be all mine soon enough. 2020ish will give plenty of time to work out the kinks on the New generations. And give me time to save some money as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Skeeter McSkeet said:

Funny you say that, I test drove a new zr2 and a 2016 canyon with the baby duramax 2 week’s ago. I couldn’t fathom paying more for a zr2 than I did my Sierra. Wife is kind of wanting a smaller truck, but I don’t!

with the mid size market with such high demand, I realize size vs cost isn’t really a relevant comparison nowadays, but it’s just not how I think still. Sierra is going on it’s 4th year, it’ll be all mine soon enough. 2020ish will give plenty of time to work out the kinks on the New generations. And give me time to save some money as well!

I had a few similar concerns. I'm so used to the size of my 1500, that I would be afraid to give up the V8, the interior room, and the hauling/towing capability to pay more for a midsize. The size is also the problem with the 1500 though. I am not interested in carrying $500/mo over a rock garden, but I would like to hit some decent trails. The long wheelbase, width, and weight of the 1500 worry me. I'm the guy who parks in the back of the parking lot to avoid a door ding. I don't like the idea of a giant white scratch on my blue paint from some branch I couldn't fit by.

With the ZR2, I feel like I wouldn't care much what happened to it within reason, knowing out of the gate that it's a purpose built trail rig. BDS is close to announcing their lift kit fitting 35s and keeping the DSSV shocks/"ZR2-ness". It kicks ass on any trail as is and that would put it proverbially over the top. It could haul the kids, tow what I need it to, drive me to work, and also crawl up a rock pile.

.....but its a midsize! I'm a man! I'm (almost) 40!

Quandary...

• Haha 1

I had a few similar concerns. I'm so used to the size of my 1500, that I would be afraid to give up the V8, the interior room, and the hauling/towing capability to pay more for a midsize. The size is also the problem with the 1500 though. I am not interested in carrying $500/mo over a rock garden, but I would like to hit some decent trails. The long wheelbase, width, and weight of the 1500 worry me. I'm the guy who parks in the back of the parking lot to avoid a door ding. I don't like the idea of a giant white scratch on my blue paint from some branch I couldn't fit by.  

With the ZR2, I feel like I wouldn't care much what happened to it within reason, knowing out of the gate that it's a purpose built trail rig. BDS is close to announcing their lift kit fitting 35s and keeping the DSSV shocks/"ZR2-ness". It kicks ass on any trail as is and that would put it proverbially over the top. It could haul the kids, tow what I need it to, drive me to work, and also crawl up a rock pile.

.....but its a midsize! I'm a man! I'm (almost) 40!

Quandary...

And you’ll still being carrying $500+ a month over rock gardens in the end lol!

I don’t mind taking mine out in the woods. I’ve got black, it gets scratched when pollen hits it lol! Factory splash guards, or what they call skid plates are a joke. Other than that it’s done well out there. Granted I’m not getting on 3 wheels or rock crawling, it does well on your average jeep trail/skid road/mine road.

The sponsor (fiancé) bought me this today as wedding gift. She told me I need a place to put all my tools to build the truck and her Jeep. God I love that women. Can’t wait until the wedding next weekend.

Oh home depot is having a Memorial Day sale. Reg 798 got it for 598 and 10% more off for veterans discount.

bb44990570e2ae4c605797270cf7c916.jpg

• Like 5

Glad I found this tread. Just starting to move my truck in this direction. 

Ive got an RCI Metalworks bed rack and Go Rhino winch ready bumper on the way.  First week of June we’re heading up to Bend to pick up a CVT Mt Rainer roof top tent 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

thanks!

Nothing, it’s a combo of thing going on. The 5100’s in the front are at full crank. And the tent and bed rack are pretty heavy. But mostly The driveway actually slopes down making it look more extreme than it really is. 

• Like 1

On 5/15/2018 at 12:39 PM, Skeeter McSkeet said:

I’d love to do some “overlanding”, but it’s all mostly regulated 4 wheeler trails I can’t take a truck on around here. Or just some old woods roads that really lead to nowhere. There’s no areas/trails really that you can ride for days in a truck.  I just haul the kayaks and do some “overwatering” lol, still wake up with great views, only I’m in a hammock. 

I think we've got some good Overlanding areas available to us.  Potts Mountain, Ivy Branch,  Harlan KY,  Blackhouse Mountain KY, Slade KY,  Royal blue TN, Sanquist TN, Tackett creek TN, and the list goes on.   But IMO,  our trucks are too nice and new to do real Overlanding (to me means a reliable enough vehicle to drive a few thousand miles, carrying camping equipment etc.., and very capable off road).

I am part of an Offroad Club in Ohio, and we go to a lot of unmaintained township roads as well.  But, we take our Jeeps.

20180210_145822.jpg

Edited by Ron505
  • Like 1

I think we've got some good Overlanding areas available to us.  Potts Mountain, Ivy Branch,  Harlan KY,  Blackhouse Mountain KY, Slade KY,  Royal blue TN, Sanquist TN, Tackett creek TN, and the list goes on.   But IMO,  our trucks are too nice and new to do real Overlanding (to me means a reliable enough vehicle to drive a few thousand miles, carrying camping equipment etc.., and very capable off road).

I am part of an Offroad Club in Ohio, and we go to a lot of unmaintained township roads as well.  But, we take our Jeeps.

20180210_145822.thumb.jpg.b837f3e038569e1825c07e1942b9318f.jpg

Nice!!! I guess I could drive a few hours and hit some of those places lol. Id mainly be worried about getting into situations where a full size may not squeeze through like a taco or a jeep would.

Hooksets are free...
  • Like 2