Oil Change Question

I have a 2016 1500 LT 5.3

Just drained the oil and replaced the oil filter. I put about 8 qts in it full synthetic 0w-20 dexos. I checked the dip stick today after driving about 30 miles after the change and its on the low side. No pressure issues, no leaks, and its been driving fine. Does anybody know whats going on? 

Just drained the oil and replaced the oil filter. I put about 8 qts in it full synthetic 0w-20 dexos. I checked the dip stick today after driving about 30 miles after the change and its on the low side. No pressure issues, no leaks, and its been driving fine. Does anybody know whats going on? 
Johnny01: I have a 2016 Silverado and changed oil & filter a while back. I used mobile1Annual 0-20. Used 8 full quarts. I've had no problems. Full synthetic.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, duquephart said:

Level ground?

should it sit on level ground for a little bit before i check it? I pulled it out of the drive way and checked it immediately with a cold engine. 

Johnny01: I have a 2016 Silverado and changed oil & filter a while back. I used mobile1Annual 0-20. Used 8 full quarts. I've had no problems. Full synthetic.

It should be on level ground and checked cold.Johnny01:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, newdude said:

Yep level ground and once its shut off, you should wait a couple minutes for proper drainback into the pan. 

15 minutes isn't to long to wait. You will drive yourself nuts if you don't wait long enough as it will different each time you check it. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, jagabom said:

I always check mine in the morning after vehicle sits all night.

Jim

Same here....only way I can get consistent results.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sjsharkie said:

Well "about" isn't exact and positively checked right after the oil change would be a good starting point. I buy the two 5 qt containers and make sure on the little measurement bar on the side, you are using quarts not liters and mark 2 quarts(which at that point you have used 3 qts) with a sharpie pen. Then you positively know you have 8 quarts in there when you start. I start up check by oil filter for leaks, make sure I am all good, then wait a couple of minutes and check. Should be spot on. THEN if your going lower we have a problem. Good luck

I cant get an accurate oil reading either. Right after the dealership did the change I checked it and it read good (Castrol full synthetic). On another note, I couldn't believe how much quieter the engine was with the Castrol vs the oil that came in it from the factory.

Anyways, doesn't matter what I do it always reads high when I check it. Could be that I have fuel getting in the oil like some forum users here have reported; but have been unsuccessful in correcting the problem ( replacing the high pressure fuel pump etc.)

45 minutes ago, M1ck3y said:

I cant get an accurate oil reading either. Right after the dealership did the change I checked it and it read good (Castrol full synthetic). On another note, I couldn't believe how much quieter the engine was with the Castrol vs the oil that came in it from the factory.

Anyways, doesn't matter what I do it always reads high when I check it. Could be that I have fuel getting in the oil like some forum users here have reported; but have been unsuccessful in correcting the problem ( replacing the high pressure fuel pump etc.)

I too am aware and concerned about the HPFP and fuel in the oil. So being on the look out for it I do make note of exactly where it is on the dipstick when I first do my oil change after a brief start up, idle, check of oil pressure and leaks. Shutoff wait 5 minutes. That is the true level. BUT you have to take expansion of the oil at a higher temperature into account. So checking after a drive at full operating and oil temperature will show a little higher due to expansion. Knowing those two marks and smelling the dipstick for fuel will let you know if there is an issue. 

I use Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic and Mobil 1 full synthetic 5w/30 due to heat here in Florida and notice the difference in engine noise also. 

Not Waiting Long Enough After Running Engine to Check Oil Level
Some engines require more time than others for the oil to drain back into the crankcase. To assure a sufficient amount of oil has drained back to the crankcase, and an accurate reading can be obtained, the vehicle should be allowed to sit for at least 15 minutes, after the engine has been shut off, before taking an oil level reading. In order to ensure accurate results, the temperature of the oil should be close to the same temperature as the last time the oil level was checked.

Improper Reading of the Oil Level Indicator (Dipstick)
Verify that the dipstick tube is fully seated in the block. When checking the oil level, make sure the dipstick is wiped clean before taking an oil level reading and fully depress the dipstick until the shoulder bottoms out on the dipstick tube. The dipstick should be the proper part number for the engine/vehicle that is being checked.

7 hours ago, M1ck3y said:

High as in way high?

I ask because my 18 5.3 reads like solid oil all the way up to the spirals in the dipstick if I dont pull it the right way.  Lol

Pull it out, clean dipstick, push back in

like 4 inches from seated, then quickly push in all the way and quickly pull it out and check.  

There must be oil in the tube that the spirals pick up