Mobil 1 oil made specifically for our engines?

Sponsors and vendor deals.

Like a Ford F-150 at work that has "Ford recommends BP Fuels" on the gas cap.

It's not bad oil at all and I'm sure they consulted with the Mobil engineers on expectations, but plenty of other makers meet or exceed the required Dexos1 specification. When I bought my 2013 Corvette new, I did get the "Corvette recommends Mobil 1" leaflet in the cool owners book package thing, but I usually just pick the best priced good-brand Dexos oil. Mobil XP, Castrol Magnatec, Penz Ultra...etc.

Get a really good filter (like the Wix 57045 XP), consider a magnetic drain plug, a Filtermag, and a good major brand Dexos oil and you'll be doing better than factory spec for your truck.

The 0w40 is LT1, LT4 and LT5 validated only (meaning GM tested that oil for those 3 engines only and not the others).  Also, the 0w40 ESP is Dexos2 spec, not Dexos1.  The trucks require Dexos1. 

https://www.mobil.com/English-HU/Passenger-Vehicle-Lube/pds/GLXXMobil-1-ESP-Formula-5W30

ESP (Emissions System Protection) and Dexos2 spec oils are typically found in use in German sports cars and smaller displacement diesel engines, mainly overseas, except for the 2.8 Duramax, 1.6 Cruze diesel and  2.0 Cruze diesel in the US as far as GM goes.  Lower ash and sulfur content for DPF protection.

Edited by newdude

3 hours ago, truckguy82 said:

I mean it says it's for the corvette, but as we all know everything that touches oil is the same in the trucks.

thoughts?

Mobil1 1 2018-FAQ Sheet - Final.pdf

Answered your own question. Butt there are still those that believe in the Easter Bunny. There are no magic elves making 'special' oil from 'special' juice for 'special' cars. There are people that think so. The standards that existed in 1920 for motor oil have been superseded dozens of times. The original no longer exist. Does that mean the motor will fall apart if a 'non factory tested oil" is used? Marketing. :sigh:

This is not marketing

GM changed their factory fill and what the dealers use for oil changes. All new 2019 corvettes come with this oil, so clearly GM requested the oil for some reason and not just a snake oil marketing scheme from Mobile One.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, newdude said:

The 0w40 is LT1, LT4 and LT5 validated only (meaning GM tested that oil for those 3 engines only and not the others).  Also, the 0w40 ESP is Dexos2 spec, not Dexos1.  The trucks require Dexos1. 

The lt1 and the l86 are the same engine.

Same heads, crank, pistons, rods, camshaft, valvetrain, everything. Everything that oil touches in an lt1 is part number for part number identical on the l86.

if they tested it in the lt1 they tested in an l86.

Which means it probably works for the l83 as well

It is my understanding that GM went this route so that the Corvette owner didn't have to change oil every time they wanted to "track" the car. The oil is good for year round service on and off the track.

Also Mobil was the main choice probably because of the relatonship they already had with GM and paid GM to be the official oil of the Corvette. 

Can you run this oil in your GM truck?  Sure, and for CAFE reasons you might take a hit on mpg.

Being a dexos2 spec, they are probably looking at the hit the catalytic converter will take from those that will hit the track and it will help from contaminating the cat due to higher oil consumption. Plus various other area's of deposit control and protection.

4 hours ago, truckguy82 said:

This is not marketing

GM changed their factory fill and what the dealers use for oil changes. All new 2019 corvettes come with this oil, so clearly GM requested the oil for some reason and not just a snake oil marketing scheme from Mobile One.

The fact that they CHANGED spec means something else DID work and many things WILL work. Nothing 'clearly' about it. 

Got a hot track day? Change your oil when you're done. Lazy is as lazy does. Lazy gets what it deserves.

There are a minimum of three base chemistries that all have the Dexos2 approval. Mobil has a lock on nothing. Their transparency, lack of it actually, brings little to the table faith is feed from. Did they tell anyone 'at the time it happened' that when they lost their lawsuit with Castrol over the definition of synthetic that they themselves discontinued the use of POA in favor of the cheaper lower preforming Hydrocracked Group III stock with the same add pack? Never skipped a beat. Even upped the price. Yep, swapped your favorite 'Black Label" single barrel for swamp water and never said a word. You had already drank the Kool-Aid and made a convert. 

But hey, if you think your motor will fall out dead using something else...have at. Enjoy your Kool-Aid. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

The fact that they CHANGED spec means something else DID work and many things WILL work. Nothing 'clearly' about it. 

Got a hot track day? Change your oil when you're done. Lazy is as lazy does. Lazy gets what it deserves.

There are a minimum of three base chemistries that all have the Dexos2 approval. Mobil has a lock on nothing. Their transparency, lack of it actually, brings little to the table faith is feed from. Did they tell anyone 'at the time it happened' that when they lost their lawsuit with Castrol over the definition of synthetic that they themselves discontinued the use of POA in favor of the cheaper lower preforming Hydrocracked Group III stock with the same add pack? Never skipped a beat. Even upped the price. Yep, swapped your favorite 'Black Label" single barrel for swamp water and never said a word. You had already drank the Kool-Aid and made a convert. 

But hey, if you think your motor will fall out dead using something else...have at. Enjoy your Kool-Aid. 

Actually I don’t trust mobile one at all, not sure why you are even bringing that up.

i also don’t think my motor will blow up as I’m not even using the recommend 0w-20.

If I wasn’t clear enough in my not so cryptic post, I think GM made the switch for a reason. I’m pretty sure whoever made the decision at gm can see through whatever bullshit mobile one is or is not pulling.

My first thought was actually maybe they worked with mobile one and tried to come up with an oil spec that would cause less issues with afm or even valve coking, as GM has a monetary incentive to do so.

3 hours ago, truckguy82 said:

Actually I don’t trust mobile one at all, not sure why you are even bringing that up.

i also don’t think my motor will blow up as I’m not even using the recommend 0w-20.

If I wasn’t clear enough in my not so cryptic post, I think GM made the switch for a reason. I’m pretty sure whoever made the decision at gm can see through whatever bullshit mobile one is or is not pulling.

My first thought was actually maybe they worked with mobile one and tried to come up with an oil spec that would cause less issues with afm or even valve coking, as GM has a monetary incentive to do so.

Look at the title of your thread. That's why I brought Mobil up. 

Yes they (GM) can as they hand out the Dexos certifications. Mobil isn't the only one spreading BS in the barnyard to make a buck.

They may have but in the end it's an additive package and not the base stock that makes one chemistry differ from another. 10 ppm is all it takes to make it 'different'. This is about money. Taking it from you and giving it whomever is the most clever. Sad too. Mobil use to be a yard stick others measured themselves by but like usual...greed is greed. So yes GM has a monetary incentive but it isn't the one you're thinking. 

Non oil related real world example. Honda Motorcycle contracted with Dunlap tire to make a tire to fit a non standard rim with a 5 year exclusivity agreement to sell to no one but Honda. Honda Shadow Tour. They then charged $360 a tire for a $60 tire that was so soft it wore out once or twice a year. When Continental Tire made a tire of the same size that would triple the mileage to bite into the Dunlap deal Honda started a campaign claiming the Coni would not properly fit the Honda exclusive rim flange. BS of course but also about $200 cheaper. The Valkyrie use the same flange and rim size on a one plus that fit like a glove that those in the know users used until the correct size became available. Coni had it nailed.  The smear worked though...for awhile. 

No need to take it personal. These people are professional liars. 

All oil is made for an engine, same as oil filters.

The X factor is which one do you believe is right for you as long as it meets specs.

Are you going to do extended oi changes?

Do you tow a lot?

Hot or cold climate?

Is cost a factor?

Many choices.

Pick your poison.

:)

• Like 1

• txab changed the title to Mobil 1 oil made specifically for our engines?