Fuel Injector Cleaning

Hey guys i have an 06 1500 5.3. it’s got about 140,000km on it. I like to do my own stuff whenever i can and it’s come about me that my injectors could probably use a cleaning. Does pouring “injector cleaner” in the tank actually work? i’ve always been told no. if it doesn’t could someone send me a link or describe to me how to bypass the pump and regulator so i can pull the injectors? also what do i clean them with? i know there’s a big tool for cleaning injectors but it’s also pretty expensive, any info would be great!

2 hours ago, Brianibew said:

Run a few tanks with sea foam in it.  I think it’s good stuff.

You usually have good luck with that stuff? so there’s no need to pull the injectors? how much do you put in? and she’ll probably smoke quite abit correct?

11 minutes ago, Stefan12 said:

You usually have good luck with that stuff? so there’s no need to pull the injectors? how much do you put in? and she’ll probably smoke quite abit correct?

Seafoam in the gas won't caue it to smoke...pour it in your crankcase and it's a totally different story.

Add Seafoam, Chevron Techron, or Redline to a tank of non-ethanol gas and run it

16 hours ago, Stefan12 said:

Hey guys i have an 06 1500 5.3. it’s got about 140,000km on it.   ...my injectors could probably use a cleaning.

If you have an L59 FlexFuel motor, run E85 for a couple of tankfuls.  Alternatively you can run Chevron's 93 with Techron for a couple of tanks.  Those little $2 bottles of Super-Tech Fuel Injection Cleaner at Walmart have helped mine some too.  

Before that we used to use GMs cans of Echlin and attach them to the fuel rail and run the motor off the can until empty.

3 minutes ago, swathdiver said:

If you have an L59 FlexFuel motor, run E85 for a couple of tankfuls.  Alternatively you can run Chevron's 93 with Techron for a couple of tanks.  Those little $2 bottles of Super-Tech Fuel Injection Cleaner at Walmart have helped mine some too.  

Before that we used to use GMs cans of Echlin and attach them to the fuel rail and run the motor off the can until empty.

It’s a 2006 5.3 vortex is pretty much all i can tell you. it’s a 95l tank how much seafoam would you suggest i put in?

2 minutes ago, Stefan12 said:

It’s a 2006 5.3 vortex is pretty much all i can tell you. it’s a 95l tank how much seafoam would you suggest i put in?

I wouldn't suggest any Seafoam.  Look in your glovebox door for the RPO sheet and look at the "L" codes.  You might have an LM7, L59 or L33.  Yellow gas cap (if original) also indicator of FlexFuel engine.

Here's the little bottles I've used from Wally World:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech-Concentrated-Fuel-Injector-and-Carburetor-Cleaner-6-oz/16821284

Is your gas mileage suffering?  If not, this may be much ado about nothing.  

I’d do a cleaning at a place that cleans them right st the fuel rails or buy a fuel injection cleaning kit. 

It hooks up to your shrader valve and puts in solvent that cleans the injectors directly at the fuel rails. 

You can make your own setup like this or you can remove each injector and clean them individually. 

Look on u tube and watch all the injection cleaning methods out there

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swathdiver said:

I wouldn't suggest any Seafoam.  Look in your glovebox door for the RPO sheet and look at the "L" codes.  You might have an LM7, L59 or L33.  Yellow gas cap (if original) also indicator of FlexFuel engine.

Here's the little bottles I've used from Wally World:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech-Concentrated-Fuel-Injector-and-Carburetor-Cleaner-6-oz/16821284

Is your gas mileage suffering?  If not, this may be much ado about nothing.  

just checked and truck doesn’t have the rpo sheet

Don't let this get complicated.

Just use Sea Foam.

Read the can for amounts per tank.

I think 1 can treats 20 gals. of gas.

I have used Sea Foam for years in everything that use's gasoline.

I have added 2 ounces per gallon at times for a partially clogged carburetor.

Walmart is the cheapest to get it.

My 2012 just got 2 tanks full with Sea Foam, 1 can each tank.

Won't hurt it.

I have never had a problem using it in any motor.

My ATV gets a 1 ounce treatment every fill up.

All my gas engines get a treatment now and then including my 125 H.P 2 cycle, 4 carb. Mercury outboard.

:)

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Stefan12 said:

Hey guys i have an 06 1500 5.3. it’s got about 140,000km on it. I like to do my own stuff whenever i can and it’s come about me that my injectors could probably use a cleaning. Does pouring “injector cleaner” in the tank actually work? i’ve always been told no. if it doesn’t could someone send me a link or describe to me how to bypass the pump and regulator so i can pull the injectors? also what do i clean them with? i know there’s a big tool for cleaning injectors but it’s also pretty expensive, any info would be great!

No. I don't care what anyone says, all the snake oil in the cans barely do anything. I love Seafoam as much as the next guy, but has anyone have any proof of a poorly running engine that was cured by gunk dumped into the tank? From what I've seen, all accounts are largely anecdotal. There is so much solvent and detergent in modern gasoline that you aren't gaining much. Sure, it never hurts to dump some gunk in the tank, but if you truly have a restricted injector, the best chance you have (short of replacing it) is to utilize a shop-style injection system cleaner or having the the injectors cleaned on the bench via solvent/ ultrasonic cleaning. Just my $.02

My dad accidentally dumped old oil in the tank of my mother’s 2000 Ford diesel. They were running bio fuel back then and the can was untreated. It started running like an 8n tractor. Seafoam brought it back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk