2018 5.3L engine knock

I have been a Ford guy my whole life and just got rid of my 2002 F250 powerstroke. Well I bought a 2018 silverado with the 5.3L about 3 weeks ago. Bought the truck with 12,500 miles on it and it now has 13,600. I really liked the truck until yesterday, when the engine developed a terrible knocking noise on the drivers side of the motor. Checked the oil and the level is fine. The dealer says I cant bring it in until wednesday morning. I have read numerous posts on this site about this noise. Does anyone know what is causing this? Its driving me insane!

9 hours ago, Black18silverado said:

I have been a Ford guy my whole life and just got rid of my 2002 F250 powerstroke. Well I bought a 2018 silverado with the 5.3L about 3 weeks ago. Bought the truck with 12,500 miles on it and it now has 13,600. I really liked the truck until yesterday, when the engine developed a terrible knocking noise on the drivers side of the motor. Checked the oil and the level is fine. The dealer says I cant bring it in until wednesday morning. I have read numerous posts on this site about this noise. Does anyone know what is causing this? Its driving me insane!

All RPM's?  Load?  No load?  Does the frequency increase with engine speed?  Does it diminish when the engine warms up?

The noise starts right away when I start the truck, if I leave it in park and ease on the gas it still does the same thing. It seems like when Im driving the truck the noise diminishes after I get to about 2,000 RPMs. Even when the truck warms up it is still there. The truck was a rental (I shoulda have known better) before I bought it from the Chevy dealer as certified pre owned. Thats one of the main reasons I bought it because they certified it. Oh well I’ll drive it until wednesday and see what the dealer says. 

I tried to upload a video but its not working for some reason

20 hours ago, Black18silverado said:

..... The truck was a rental (I shoulda have known better) before I bought it from the Chevy dealer as certified pre owned. Thats one of the main reasons I bought it because they certified it....I tried to upload a video but its not working for some reason

I think you need 5 posts before you can upload a vid. With that said, say a prayer, drive it like you stole it and blow the freakin' engine up. Then, you get a new engine in that new to you truck. No?

27 minutes ago, Black18silverado said:

Its obviously being covered under warranty but I wont feel the same about the truck when I get it back, looks like I’ll be taking it to the Ford dealer when I get it back to trade it in

Like I said above.... buying used is always a gamble NO matter how many miles are on the vehicle.

Apparently someone that owned it before you may have noticed this impeding noise and unloaded it.

I would not be so quick as to judge the GM brand itself for the cause of the failure.

The engine could have been neglected or abused.

I understand how you would feel after the repair, but I would give it a full chance especially if GM and the dealer make it right.

1 hour ago, Black18silverado said:

I wont feel the same about the truck when I get it back

You should feel better about the CPO deal you got, now that it includes a brand-new engine.

This is GM's loss.   Don't make it yours!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Black18silverado said:

Service manager said that they will be putting a remanufactured motor in the truck and not a brand new one. Does anyone know if this is standard practice? I planned on calling back tommorow and getting more info on this.

Definitely trade it ! its done if you are getting a re manufactured motor thats BS if thats common practice . original motor that never made it to its first 15000 miles  , to me thats a new motor . I am not saying anything is bad with a

re manufactured motor but it would tick me off everytime I started it , the rebuilt motor probably had more than miles than yours , Man hope it works out !