Power Door Locks and Power Folding Mirrors Possessed!

2014 Chevy 1500 LTZ with close to 93K miles.  In the last three weeks my power locks and mirrors are operating on their own.  It has always operated normally, when i press lock on the key fob once, all doors lock and lights flash.  Press lock twice and same things happen plus one honk of the horn.  Now sometimes when I hit lock once the horn honks, all doors lock, and power mirrors fold in.  Here's where it gets good.  When I press unlock on the key fob, driver's door unlocks and locks back almost immediately.   Same thing when hitting unlock twice, all doors unlock and almost immediately re-lock.  In order to get in the truck I have to pull on the door handle when I press unlock to get it open before it locks back.  Then while driving, the doors will lock again and the mirrors fold in while in motion!  I hit the button to unfold the mirrors and it happens again a few minutes later.  It will do this 4-5 times in a 20 minute trip.  This does not happen every time I lock and unlock and there is no rhyme, reason. or pattern I can figure out.  It also locks itself and folds in the mirrors while sitting parked.  The truck has been sitting in my garage for around an hour and just locked itself and folded in the mirrors WITH THE KEYS IN THE IGNITION!  If I'm not at home with the spare key fob I would be screwed.  I have reviewed all my settings and nothing has changed, no recent service work, nothing.  Anyone else have this happen?

• 1 month later...
On 9/6/2018 at 9:38 PM, White LTZ said:

2014 Chevy 1500 LTZ with close to 93K miles.  In the last three weeks my power locks and mirrors are operating on their own.  It has always operated normally, when i press lock on the key fob once, all doors lock and lights flash.  Press lock twice and same things happen plus one honk of the horn.  Now sometimes when I hit lock once the horn honks, all doors lock, and power mirrors fold in.  Here's where it gets good.  When I press unlock on the key fob, driver's door unlocks and locks back almost immediately.   Same thing when hitting unlock twice, all doors unlock and almost immediately re-lock.  In order to get in the truck I have to pull on the door handle when I press unlock to get it open before it locks back.  Then while driving, the doors will lock again and the mirrors fold in while in motion!  I hit the button to unfold the mirrors and it happens again a few minutes later.  It will do this 4-5 times in a 20 minute trip.  This does not happen every time I lock and unlock and there is no rhyme, reason. or pattern I can figure out.  It also locks itself and folds in the mirrors while sitting parked.  The truck has been sitting in my garage for around an hour and just locked itself and folded in the mirrors WITH THE KEYS IN THE IGNITION!  If I'm not at home with the spare key fob I would be screwed.  I have reviewed all my settings and nothing has changed, no recent service work, nothing.  Anyone else have this happen?

Hi, White LTZ. I’m sorry to hear your Silverado’s mirrors are possessed. If you’re thinking about visiting your servicing GM dealership about your mirrors, I would be happy to work alongside them, to provide an additional layer of support. If interested, feel free to send over a private message.

Anthony J.

• 9 months later...

Reviving this thread for some help. A few months ago I first noticed my doors would occasionally randomly start locking while driving. That stopped and a few months later started having an issue where the doors would not unlock with the remote and now the interior lock buttons don't work either. What is odd is this is completely intermittent. Everything will work one day and then, everything will not work the next day. This is a regular cab, that I added the electronic tailgate lock to, when it is not working, this includes both doors AND the tailgate. Remote will get the lights to flash as normal but absolutely nothing unlocking and no mechanical noise of anything trying to move. Give how it is either all working or all not working, I  don't believe it is anything inside the doors but something ahead of that. Any thoughts on where I should start?

Check the negative post on your battery to see if the connection is tight, then check grounds to the frame and make sure they are clean and tight. If the problem persists, it is likely a BCM issue. Have GM check your Body (not brake) Control Module out if you don't have a grounding issue. 

Edited by L86 All Terrain

1 hour ago, L86 All Terrain said:

Check the negative post on your battery to see if the connection is tight, then check grounds to the frame and make sure they are clean and tight. If the problem persists, it is likely a BCM issue. Have GM check your Brake Control Module out if you don't have a grounding issue. 

I believe the BCM is actually the Body Control Module.

22 hours ago, blownZ71 said:

Reviving this thread for some help. A few months ago I first noticed my doors would occasionally randomly start locking while driving. That stopped and a few months later started having an issue where the doors would not unlock with the remote and now the interior lock buttons don't work either. What is odd is this is completely intermittent. Everything will work one day and then, everything will not work the next day. This is a regular cab, that I added the electronic tailgate lock to, when it is not working, this includes both doors AND the tailgate. Remote will get the lights to flash as normal but absolutely nothing unlocking and no mechanical noise of anything trying to move. Give how it is either all working or all not working, I  don't believe it is anything inside the doors but something ahead of that. Any thoughts on where I should start?

How old is your battery?

5 minutes ago, L86 All Terrain said:

Lol yup, my bad. The electrical box tucked up to the left of your brake pedal. 

You are correct.

Any way the OP can test/scan it to see if it is not working correctly? Or do they just fail slowly, or all at once?

10 minutes ago, blownZ71 said:

1 year old Odyssey

Might have that checked also, just to be safe.

These trucks hate weak batteries and poor grounds, they will do all sorts of weird electrical stuff when one is bad.

20 hours ago, JimCost2014 said:

You are correct.

Any way the OP can test/scan it to see if it is not working correctly? Or do they just fail slowly, or all at once?

I don't think a cheap scan tool would tell you much unless a CEL is present, maybe GM's $5,000 tool would. To test the BCM you would have to find out wires control the windows and locks and test them individually with a multimeter to see if they are out of range, or if a voltage spike causes them to trip/open without the switch pressed. But BCM is probably fine, something is intermittently causing voltage to trip the windows and locks which can only be a bad ground, rubbed wire in the door harness or a rouge BCM. But it really sounds like a bad ground to me, I had a bad ground on my 2018 2500 and it made the windows, locks, stereo and lights go haywire, even cutting the headlights momentarily while on the highway at night. The dealer "couldn't possibly look at the truck for 10 days." even as it was a safety concern. I ended up finding a loose ground on the frame near the motor and got a half-turn on my negative battery post.