Post your latest oil change.

11/26/22
2022 LTD Custom Trail Boss 4X4  2.7L Turbo 
21380 total miles on truck
5,617 miles on oil  OLM at 25% 
Oil AMSOIL Signature Series 5w30 ASL out   Havoline Pro-RS 5w30 Dexos1 Gen2  in ( low cost way to test estolides @ 25% of formulation and low 0.9% sulfated ash content )
PF66 filter out and PF66 filter on

Sample off to Nicks ISO Certified Oil Analysis lab :

Nick Mikitka

Independent AMSOIL Dealer
Synthetic Advantage LLC

Phone: 910-290-2371

Added  ~3/4 qt of RLI 5w20 HD low ash ( 1%) for the interval.  Trying to determine if ash content of lubricant is contributing to oil consumption on L3B when there are no leaks. 
E15  86 min octane Maverik for most of this oil change. E85 and 91 octane premium mixed frequently to get to 87 min octane. 

Edited by customboss
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2022 at 11:52 AM, customboss said:

11/26/22
2022 LTD Custom Trail Boss 4X4  2.7L Turbo 
21380 total miles on truck
5,617 miles on oil  OLM at 25% 
Oil AMSOIL Signature Series 5w30 ASL out   Havoline Pro-RS 5w30 Dexos1 Gen2  in ( low cost way to test estolides @ 25% of formulation and low 0.9% sulfated ash content )
PF66 filter out and PF66 filter on

Sample off to Nicks ISO Certified Oil Analysis lab :

Nick Mikitka

Independent AMSOIL Dealer
Synthetic Advantage LLC

Phone: 910-290-2371

Added  ~3/4 qt of RLI 5w20 HD low ash ( 1%) for the interval.  Trying to determine if ash content of lubricant is contributing to oil consumption on L3B when there are no leaks. 
E15  86 min octane Maverik for most of this oil change. E85 and 91 octane premium mixed frequently to get to 87 min octane. 

Update #5 with data :  Wish more folks would post data here because it can help us ALL.  16126443_unit580test5.png.22b60b457f63839258aab37b93aa6b70.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/5/2022 at 3:21 PM, OnTheReel said:

Removed Red Line 0w40 & Mopar SRT filter, sent sample to Nick, installed Pennzoil Euro 0w40 I posted about above with a Purolator Boss filter. Suspect the Red Line would have been good for awhile longer (only 3700 miles), but the weather will be against me soon and Ram also requires 6 month oil changes. So might as well do it while it’s warmer than El Paso in Wisconsin (literally). 

This Mopar filter held up fine of course. Made by Wix in Poland. Has a shyt-load of pleats. 

Results please??? 🙏

• Haha 1

I'll follow the oil life indicator on my GMC and have been running a Purolator Boss oil filter myself, but now days when working on family vehicles, I like to run 6,000-7,000 on full synthetic oil and a decent oil filter, either OEM or Purolator.  Also as of late have been using exclusively Costco's Kirkland Signature oil which is made by Warren Distribution which also sells the oil under other house brands such as Amazon Basics, Walmart Supertech, and Meijer grocery store brand oils.

The last oil change I did on the GMC was exactly at 6,991 miles and 174.3 engine hours and it wasn't at 0%, it was at least a few percentage points away.  There was a lot of highway driving involved during that interval.  I'll notice the percentage of oil life remaining drops significantly sooner when just doing small daily commutes rather than lengthy highway drives at sustained speed.

Edited by BlaineBug
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, BlaineBug said:

I'll follow the oil life indicator on my GMC and have been running a Purolator Boss oil filter myself, but now days when working on family vehicles, I like to run 6,000-7,000 on full synthetic oil and a decent oil filter, either OEM or Purolator.  Also as of late have been using exclusively Costco's Kirkland Signature oil which is made by Warren Distribution which also sells the oil under other house brands such as Amazon Basics, Walmart Supertech, and Meijer grocery store brand oils.

The last oil change I did on the GMC was exactly at 6,991 miles and 174.3 engine hours and it wasn't at 0%, it was at least a few percentage points away.  There was a lot of highway driving involved during that interval.  I'll notice the percentage of oil life remaining drops significantly sooner when just doing small daily commutes rather than lengthy highway drives at sustained speed.

Blaine, you understand the OLM is a timer based on algorithmic guessing right? Very little input from actual oil sensing besides fuel burn, temps etc.  Its an " educated guide " but not totally definitive.  I have seen 10%+ fuels dilution of engine oil and OLM never shorten interval. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, customboss said:

Blaine, you understand the OLM is a timer based on algorithmic guessing right? Very little input from actual oil sensing besides fuel burn, temps etc.  Its an " educated guide " but not totally definitive.  I have seen 10%+ fuels dilution of engine oil and OLM never shorten interval. 

Yes, I am aware that it doesn't analyze the oil, but it's a little more than just a dumb timer as you state.  Like I said my interval is 6,000-7,000 on full synthetic.  One time my Father's ford went about 10,000 miles a few years back at a time when I wasn't putting oil change stickers on his windshield as a reminder.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, customboss said:

My Grandfather who passed 10 years ago was a chemist at Amoco Oil Company towards the end of his career after moving indoors from outside.  He always used to argue with me that OIL doesn't break down.  This was back in the day when I used to follow a 3,000-4,000 oil change interval.  He said I was wasting money!  And I believe it too.  The dealerships and oil change quick lube shops can make twice as much revenue by suggesting a 3,000 mile interval versus a 6,000 mile interval, yet neither interval will cause any engine damage.

My Father bought a brand new Honda back in 2003 and kept it until 2016, and bought an extended warranty as well.  For much of it's life he'd religiously take it in to the dealership for 3,000 mile oil changes.  Sometime along the way I took over basic maintenance and he's never followed that low interval rule ever since.

Edited by BlaineBug
  • Like 1

192,500 Mile Service

12/10/2022

Dizzy (Unit 581)

2015 GMC Terrain

2.4 I-4 GDI

192,497 actual

2,497 miles this OCI (2,500 nominal) 

14-16 ounces used. This has been steady now for several oil changes.  

5 Quarts Quaker State Synthetic 5W30

No filter this OCI, only 2,500 on the one in it. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BlaineBug said:

Yes, I am aware that it doesn't analyze the oil, but it's a little more than just a dumb timer as you state.  Like I said my interval is 6,000-7,000 on full synthetic.  One time my Father's ford went about 10,000 miles a few years back at a time when I wasn't putting oil change stickers on his windshield as a reminder.

Did you ever test that 10,000 mile oil?  I'm not your Grandpa but feel like it...LOL. I started at Amoco. Lubricants DO wear out and get dirty, carry needless water, polymerize, nitrate now, etc. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BlaineBug said:

My Grandfather who passed 10 years ago was a chemist at Amoco Oil Company towards the end of his career after moving indoors from outside.  He always used to argue with me that OIL doesn't break down.  This was back in the day when I used to follow a 3,000-4,000 oil change interval.  He said I was wasting money!  And I believe it too.  The dealerships and oil change quick lube shops can make twice as much revenue by suggesting a 3,000 mile interval versus a 6,000 mile interval, yet neither interval will cause any engine damage.

My Father bought a brand new Honda back in 2003 and kept it until 2016, and bought an extended warranty as well.  For much of it's life he'd religiously take it in to the dealership for 3,000 mile oil changes.  Sometime along the way I took over basic maintenance and he's never followed that low interval rule ever since.

As a chem engineer/tribologist unless a person tests their oil they are guessing. Yes it works, lasts, and can do a lot of things well for a longer period we miss so much that we could fix and correct EARLY by blindly following guidance thats a guess. Not saying every oil change but at least an annual analysis can reveal a lot. A lot that can be corrected. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, customboss said:

Did you ever test that 10,000 mile oil?  I'm not your Grandpa but feel like it...LOL. I started at Amoco. Lubricants DO wear out and get dirty, carry needless water, polymerize, nitrate now, etc. 

His argument was that the oil did not break down from age alone, considering that he didn't drive much.  At the time I also used to try and convince him to change oil at least once yearly regardless of miles driven.

He was on the 6,000 mile interval or so in his mind.  He said read the owner's manual and follow what the manufacturer recommends rather than the oil change shop who's only in the business to earn a profit.

I agree with the argument that most people should follow the "severe" maintenance schedule if they do a lot of stop-and-go city driving.

Edited by BlaineBug
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

192,500 Mile Service

12/10/2022

Dizzy (Unit 581)

2015 GMC Terrain

2.4 I-4 GDI

192,497 actual

2,497 miles this OCI (2,500 nominal) 

14-16 ounces used. This has been steady now for several oil changes.  

5 Quarts Quaker State Synthetic 5W30

No filter this OCI, only 2,500 on the one in it. 

Where's your oil analysis data?  LOL    Nick??? 

5 minutes ago, customboss said:

Never tested it, the Ford's 10,000 mile oil change was a mistake, not my fault, and that was hopefully just a one time thing.  Oil went to the local oil change place as "orphan oil" in jugs and dropped off after hours like an abandoned baby.

My Grandfather worked his entire career at AMOCO in Whiting, Indiana, and move out when he retired in 1986.  How about yourself?  The city of Whiting once enjoyed being completely property tax free (at least for residential as far as I am aware) as a result of living in an oil town.  Not anymore.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BlaineBug said:

His argument was that the oil did not break down from age alone, considering that he didn't drive much.  At the time I also used to try and convince him to change oil at least once yearly regardless of miles driven.

He was on the 6,000 mile interval or so in his mind.  He said read the owner's manual and follow what the manufacturer recommends rather than the oil change shop who's only in the business to earn a profit.

I agree with the argument that most people should follow the "severe" maintenance schedule if they do a lot of stop-and-go city driving.

I would have said to the chemist, show me your tests of your oil at that interval.  I used to supervise chemists and its like herding cats.....LOL   They are so smart and generally cheap they will do anything to stretch that thin nickel a long way. Data wins arguments and opinions.