Post your latest oil change.

This is the UOA test kit that Napa sells for $15, first one I've had done. I plan to run this oil to 3500 miles and test again more to see how the oil is holding up then anything else, I don't trust the oil life monitor for these GDI engines.

Customboss did I read somewhere on the Forum that you do UOA? If so I can send it to you when I change the oil again this Spring. I was a little disappointed the Napa (ALS)results only had Base and Viscosity results in regard to the oil. I was hoping they would show Fuel dilution like you mentioned above.  

• Like 1

On 2/1/2022 at 2:26 PM, dennismc said:

This is the UOA test kit that Napa sells for $15, first one I've had done. I plan to run this oil to 3500 miles and test again more to see how the oil is holding up then anything else, I don't trust the oil life monitor for these GDI engines.

Customboss did I read somewhere on the Forum that you do UOA? If so I can send it to you when I change the oil again this Spring. I was a little disappointed the Napa (ALS)results only had Base and Viscosity results in regard to the oil. I was hoping they would show Fuel dilution like you mentioned above.  

Dennis, I retired in 2000. I am trying to sell my intellectual property and domain name but pretty much done testing and consulting. I need to sell it before my memory and mind are totally shot....LOL  

Contact Nick,  Black02Silverado the Amsoil site sponsor and he can source you a proper oil analysis at a reasonable cost!  

Getting a real proper breadth of testing with a good interpretation is night and day. 

PS a TUNER oil analysis is what is really needed. Most of the modern engines we see anymore are fine if the fuels dilute, water, and combustion dynamic and venting of the engine are as good as design allows. 

DEXOS1 GEN 2 and soon 3 will mitigate lots of the issues that were building in our engines when we thought everything was ok.  

I agree the sensing of OLM is not like a high quality oil analysis. Only so much that algorithm can do. 

Heres what will keep anyone out of the shop if done annually before MIL codes set or MPG drops off: 

This is a 2014 Ford Escape 2.0T Ecoboost  running good synthetic oils that had severe carbon loading on valves and piston tops. I began working this customers issues at 78,000 miles.....Starting on right move left for each sample. I was able to clean chemically and by changing air filter, plugs, boots, coils get the nitration down to manageable level. MPG came up dramatically. Note DI turbo are really hard on efficiency as carbon loads so fast from FUEL and EGR fuel deposits in circulation. When the customer ignored my recommendations the fuel dilution of the oil and nitration would rise. 

Anything above 10 absorbance units of nitration is terrible for a modern engine. 

Fuels dilute should be 0.5% or lower for any IC engine however DI, our crap gasolines will make 1% almost best ever. 

By reducing the volume of fuels in oil you are reducing the EGR effect of loading, by decreasing misfires you burn more fuel off. Dennis  Its a circular firing squad for sure and you are smart to engage early. 

Screen Shot 2022-02-05 at 11.14.56.png

Edited by customboss
add commentary for explanation

Comments:  Fuel mapping overkill but it was -27F in Alamosa. Still nearly 2% fuels dilution is nuts except to light off catalytic converter really well. Turbo wear nil, QS 40C vis really took a hit from fuels.  Fuel dilution is what is ruining all the GM engine line IMHO. Fuel above 0.5% finds weak metallurgy and materials to attack if in the engine oil at this level.  Add in OLM extended duration and its a prescription for damage. Slow insidious damage that shellacs up screens, journals, etc. 

Note NON linear iron wear. Engines set up and will not wear unless something else in introduced to wear it.  

Combustion dynamic via FTIR is perfect.  Water via KF is perfect so this engine ain't running cool but it may be pulling timing up here at 9000' on 85 octane mostly this interval but this sample was taken with a 87 mix.  

I'm afraid to plug in my old scanner for fear of new GM programming for ECM/TCM being a different level of security. I might plug in to see if I can view timing and fuel trims. 

1663121776_ScreenShot2022-02-11at07_19_39.png.99ab5e30d4f90a01a3196e8091601d2f.png

On 12/10/2021 at 5:12 PM, customboss said:

12/9/2021 

2022 LTD Chevy Trail Boss Custom 2.7L Turbo L3B  

592 miles, 17.6 hours of use. 

Drain and SAMPLE 6 qts of ACDELCO 5w30 PF66 OF 

Install 6 qts QS full synthetic Dexos1 gen 2 5w30  PF66 OF 

2/4/2022 

2022 LTD Chevy Trail Boss Custom 2.7L Turbo L3B  

2555/64.1 miles/hrs on interval, 3142 miles/81.7 hours total on unit

Free GM drain and SAMPLE 6 qts of QS Full Syn Dexos1 Gen 2 5w30 PF66 OF 

Dealer install ( under my watchful eye) 6 qts bulk Mobil 1 5w30 Dexos1 Gen 2  5w30  PF66 OF

MAJOR operational observation note

Factory oil and QS made 30 psi oil pressure warm ( regardless of idle or WOT),cold 60 PSI until 160F exceeded on coolant gauge. 

Mobil1 5w30 reading 15 PSI now warm ( regardless of RPM)  and on cold start barely 30 PSI.  

We drove through -27 F yesterday on way to dealer and while the QS Full Syn Gen 2 has great wear #'s as Grumpy displayed above it may not play well with fuel dilution very well.  Sample taken yesterday will reveal in this new engine how that plays. 

Fresh Mobil 1 really stable regardless of temp, time will tell how it holds up. I am leaning towards Amsoil after I see full break-in via oil analysis. 

Am experimenting with 87 octane blends here since regular at our altitude is 85 normally.  It's been so cold and the 3 valve electric coolant pump/distribution system is biased to keeping the turbo cool, this causes warm up issues in coldest temps. I had to hold off of turning cabin heat valve control all the way up until ~210 coolant temp is reached.  In most markets it probably needs that cooling to engine head and turbo and you can get cabin heat quick but I don't like seeing coolant temp sitting at 185 and not budging when its sub zero and you are running 65 MPG on highway. Fuel dilution reading will confirm that too.  Sadly every OEM needlessly over-fuels for lowest common denominator emissions meeting fuel map. 

Tail pipe at 3200 miles is amazingly clean, no soot. When I ran cheaper gasolines once or twice the soot was showing after about 100 miles. 

An aside is that the electric power steering was as stiff as I have ever felt -15F and below so whatever sealed hydraulic actuation they are using doesn't have a high VI fluid in it........cost cutting GM, supplier quality issues? Not a problem just noted. 

Edited by customboss
2.7LT add oil analysis test 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, customboss said:

QS Full Syn Gen 2 has great wear #'s as Grumpy displayed above it may not play well with fuel dilution very well.

Oil for the OCI you reference was Kirkland (Warren Oil) sir, not the QSUD I used for the first 80K miles or so. Killer wear numbers for Box Store oil.  😉

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Oil for the OCI you reference was Kirkland (Warren Oil) sir, not the QSUD I used for the first 80K miles or so. Killer wear numbers for Box Store oil.  😉

I was going way back in this thread. Maybe you were addressing Dizzy not Honey? 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

159,000 Mile Services

2/13/2022

DIZZY

2015 GMC Terrain

Ecotec 2.4-I4 AWD 6 speed

159,065 actual

1,734 miles this OCI

6 ounces make up oil 

.071% of fuel 9,245 miles

142% of spec

5 Quarts Valvoline 5W40 Euro

1 Purolator Pure One filter PL15436. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

161,000 Mile Services

2/13/2022

DIZZY

2015 GMC Terrain

161,000 actual

1,935 miles this OCI

16 ounces of make up oil. 0.167% of fuel.

UOA sample pulled and sent to Synthetic Advantage Lab.  

4 Quarts 20 ounces Kirkland 5W30

12 Ounces TRIAX S-7 

No filter this time. 

161,300 Mile Services

3/4/2022

DIZZY

2015 GMC Terrain

40 miles into the last oil change I charged 1 pint of Kano Products Kreen internal engine cleaner. 

161,300 Actual

300 mile OCI

5 Quarts +4 ounces Valvoline Cummins Restore 10W30

1 NAPA Gold oil filter ( I had it, I skipped the last filter change) 

Synthetic Advantage Lab UOA posted below:

(Thanks Nick) Now a full service lube service!!   :)

InkedDysonDiags2.thumb.jpg.00355fb6d11da524e551405d4182fd86.jpg

Edited by Grumpy Bear

• 3 weeks later...

1362625176_ScreenShot2022-03-29at15_31_12.png.cc96685cc821fccdca6cac8e93039a03.png3/27/22
2022 LTD Trail Boss Custom 
6395  total miles on truck   157.3 total hrs 
3253 miles on oil OLM at 57%      Lots of hard  mountain snow/off road mud service, then trip to DFW where I tried to follow my SIL in his 2020 Custom at 100 mph......the 2.7 T had no issues.  :devil:
Oil Mobil 1 5w30 out  Amsoil OE 5w30 in
PF66 OF out and PF66 OF on

Transfer case factory ATF out  Amsoil ATF in   1 Qt 17 ounces in. 

Duratracs suck in 3-4' of frozen snow and ice base. Pulled out by a tractor from being centered in my own drifted driveway.  🤫

Oil sampled with Synthetic Advantage ISO certified oil analysis and thanks Nick for the Amsoil products being shipped so fast and accurately. GOOD prices too.  

Edited by customboss
add oil analysis results
  • Like 3

Changed the oil in the ATV yesterday. 445 miles on the oil. Removed Amsoil ATV 10W40, put in the same. Fram oil filter. Manual calls for 600 mile OCI's. Due to plowing snow, working it hard with 2 riders, climbing hills and washouts on trails time to change it. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, diyer2 said:

Changed the oil in the ATV yesterday. 445 miles on the oil. Removed Amsoil ATV 10W40, put in the same. Fram oil filter. Manual calls for 600 mile OCI's. Due to plowing snow, working it hard with 2 riders, climbing hills and washouts on trails time to change it. 

Would have been interesting to see a UOA on that!  Maybe next time???  :)

• Like 1

I can't get on board for UOA's. While it maybe a good tool I've just changed my oil and filter more frequent. Not interested in getting max life out of oil. Prone to clean oil instead of dirty oil for another ****** miles.

• Sad 1