Post your latest oil change.

8/11/2022
2022 LTD Custom Trail Boss 4WD Crew Cab 
15,763 total miles on truck
2200 miles on oil OLM at 73%
Oil  Mobil1 Advanced 5w30 out.  AMSOIL Signature Series 5w30 (ASL) in
PF66 oil filter off and on 

NO OIL SAMPLE DRAWN because of peer pressure from diyer2.......LOL  

Mobil1 looked and smelled like phenolic additives instead of engine oil. Literally liquid plastic.  Amsoil looks and smells like other BIO SYN BASED formulations I have worked with that have Infineum centric additive package. 

Amsoil is quieter, Mobil 1 was noisy from day one

Tail pipe has almost no soot at all in it and when I restarted to roll off ramps it smelled like lacquer.  Running Maverik E15. 

Average MPG has been pushing 24 mpg that includes idling, going to VA, off road and its rough.  On HWY mileage at 60 mph is easily averaging 27 mpg.  65 mph maybe 26 MPG but I prefer to drive slower.  Had a semi run me off the road yesterday trying to pass and met head on with a cattle trailer, jackass.  Speed limit 65 and I am doing 60 on a two lane Federal HWY. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, customboss said:

8/11/2022
2022 LTD Custom Trail Boss 4WD Crew Cab 
15,763 total miles on truck
2200 miles on oil OLM at 73%
Oil  Mobil1 Advanced 5w30 out.  AMSOIL Signature Series 5w30 (ASL) in
PF66 oil filter off and on 

Mobil1 looked and smelled like phenolic additives instead of engine oil. Literally liquid plastic.  Amsoil looks and smells like other BIO SYN BASED formulations I have worked with that have Infineum centric additive package. 

Amsoil is quieter, Mobil 1 was noisy from day one

Tail pipe has almost no soot at all in it and when I restarted to roll off ramps it smelled like lacquer.  Running Maverik E15. 

Average MPG has been pushing 24 mpg that includes idling, going to VA, off road and its rough.  On HWY mileage at 60 mph is easily averaging 27 mpg.  65 mph maybe 26 MPG but I prefer to drive slower.  Had a semi run me off the road yesterday trying to pass and met head on with a cattle trailer, jackass.  Speed limit 65 and I am doing 60 on a two lane Federal HWY. 

Time is money for a truck driver. I give them the road or speed up until I can give them the road. The problem today is that attitude, I pay my taxes damnit. So you bank 1 MPG at 60. He’ll probably lose a delivery if he loses 5 mph. Multiple that by 8 his drive time. Your probably one of many in his day. I’ve followed those guys many miles it amazing what they endured daily. From entitled 4 wheelers. Not saying that’s you. I’ve drove a mile in their shoes, it’s no fun. 

57 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

Time is money for a truck driver. I give them the road or speed up until I can give them the road. The problem today is that attitude, I pay my taxes damnit. So you bank 1 MPG at 60. He’ll probably lose a delivery if he loses 5 mph. Multiple that by 8 his drive time. Your probably one of many in his day. I’ve followed those guys many miles it amazing what they endured daily. From entitled 4 wheelers. Not saying that’s you. I’ve drove a mile in their shoes, it’s no fun. 

I hear you Stan. I’m a courteous farm country raised  driver. The dumbass decided to pass when an oncoming farmer towing a cattle trailer was also run off road. If we both hadn’t given way it would have been bad. My being 5 mph below limit didn’t cause the issue. If I was doing 65 ( the limit speed) he would have passed un safely  regardless. I pull to right when I can and give way. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, customboss said:

I hear you Stan. 

I don't hear him at all...... (Remainder is not for you customboss) 

Speed limit is 55 here. If I drive 60 mph; most cops here will let that pass, this guy passing me sees me as a challenge and smiles. If I'm driving 50 he sees me as an annoyance and frowns. Nothing changes but his feelings about the pass. What does that have to do with me? Nothing! 

Gravel trucks around here run over the speed limit, over weight and uncovered spilling rock the size of baseballs all over the road. He gets paid by tonnage a day.  His sign says "Not responsible for damage to those following close enough to read this sign". 😡 Really? It's my fault your overweight, over speed and illegally uncovered? Get a grip. This jerk just thinks he is the most important thing on the road. Spoiler alert...your are not. 

County trash semi's ditto. Playing stop sign dodgeball with these jerks is getting stupid and running 20 over in school zones and down main streets of small town USA.

Running down I-39 the other day I have a semi flashing his lights and laying into the horn because I'm actually doing 45 in a construction zone marked 45 and photo enforced with a $375 ticket attached. Enough already.... You drive yours and I'll drive mine. Grow up and get over it. A thousand yards at 45 isn't loosing you anything you didn't know was already there and SHOULD HAVE PLANNED FOR. You guys aren't all that.....

First sign on I-39 says SPEED LIMIT 70 MPH. 50 yards later a second sign says SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT. Next sign says MINIMUM SPEED 45 MPH. What that means is you have NO expectation of ANYONE in the right lane doing the MAXIMUM speed allowed on the road. D'oh, its for those UNDER THE SPEED LIMIT. IF that's to deep for ya all...walk and leave the driving to grownups.  

:rant:

• Like 1

I'll admit I was thinking of doing a UOA on the Amsoil OE in the Santa Fe when I change it at 4 K. I believe I have a test kit for the basic test done by Horizon. 

I know this kit isn't as detailed as others. 

You stepping up to Amsoil SS is a big jump in quality. I have mentioned before Mobil 1 never impressed me, even though I never used it. The over the top marketing of Mobil 1 back in the day just turned me off due to some things are to good to be true and the cost.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

I'll admit I was thinking of doing a UOA on the Amsoil OE in the Santa Fe when I change it at 4 K. I believe I have a test kit for the basic test done by Horizon. 

I know this kit isn't as detailed as others. 

You stepping up to Amsoil SS is a big jump in quality. I have mentioned before Mobil 1 never impressed me, even though I never used it. The over the top marketing of Mobil 1 back in the day just turned me off due to some things are to good to be true and the cost.

Wondered if you'd catch that.....LOL

Polaris labs Horizon is better than nothing and better than Bklabs.  Doesn't come close to Nicks Service. BTW Nick and I served at the same time in NC he in USAF me at Fort Bragg with Army. We have known each other now over 20 years? 

You are correct that chemistry is more advanced than I thought and recently confirmed. The L3B loves it. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Y’all ever see green oil? Mobil 1 0w20 ESP X2 for my wife’s VW.

0D9DC782-F34B-476B-B335-9647A97C301E.thumb.jpeg.8219b06203c9c76de1424304060a4845.jpeg
Not a Mobil guy but there are very few meeting the VW 508 spec. I’ll play nice for the warranty, as I read VW checks for their dye in the oil if there’s a problem. Used a Mann filter with it.

Then I picked this stuff up for winter use in my Ram.
91DBA5AA-C06B-4FDC-A0D0-613AB52F1522.thumb.jpeg.51d4147915884404cdc2775d6c638540.jpeg
In looking at a VOA I saw online, it’s pretty damn stout. And the price is awesome. Walmart, $25 a jug, plus a $25 rebate on two. 

I am running Redline at the moment and will do so again next spring. But fuel dilution is a real concern of mine in cold weather…frequent idling and remote starts.

Figure I’ll put in this cheap stuff and a new filter in the next couple weeks. Then do a quick oil-only change in December or January to get the fuel out. And then do oil and filter again with Redline in March or April. Seems like the best solution.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OnTheReel said:

0D9DC782-F34B-476B-B335-9647A97C301E.thumb.jpeg.8219b06203c9c76de1424304060a4845.jpeg
Not a Mobil guy but there are very few meeting the VW 508 spec. I’ll play nice for the warranty, as I read VW checks for their dye in the oil if there’s a problem. Used a Mann filter with it.

91DBA5AA-C06B-4FDC-A0D0-613AB52F1522.thumb.jpeg.51d4147915884404cdc2775d6c638540.jpeg
In looking at a VOA I saw online, it’s pretty damn stout. And the price is awesome. Walmart, $25 a jug, plus a $25 rebate on two. 

I am running Redline at the moment and will do so again next spring. But fuel dilution is a real concern of mine in cold weather…frequent idling and remote starts.

Figure I’ll put in this cheap stuff and a new filter in the next couple weeks. Then do a quick oil-only change in December or January to get the fuel out. And then do oil and filter again with Redline in March or April. Seems like the best solution.

That’s a good price on the Pennzoil. 

if you are interested. AMSOIL’s European EZT 0W-20 is VW 508. Let me know how many Qts and zip code and I can quote delivered to your house. 

2 hours ago, OnTheReel said:

what kind of ram you got ? 1500 5.7 L hemi ?

3 hours ago, Black02Silverado said:

That’s a good price on the Pennzoil. 

if you are interested. AMSOIL’s European EZT 0W-20 is VW 508. Let me know how many Qts and zip code and I can quote delivered to your house. 

It takes exactly 6 quarts so probably a case would be good. I also need to get in touch about an analysis on my truck oil in the next couple weeks. I guess you’re the man for that. I’ve previously been using Blackstone. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OnTheReel said:

It takes exactly 6 quarts so probably a case would be good. I also need to get in touch about an analysis on my truck oil in the next couple weeks. I guess you’re the man for that. I’ve previously been using Blackstone. 

Yes get up with me when you get ready to do another oil analysis. 

• Like 2

On 9/9/2022 at 12:51 PM, OnTheReel said:

Back when Grumpy and diyer2 were teenagers that was copper sulfonate. Now it’s just dye. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

Removed Red Line 0w40 & Mopar SRT filter, sent sample to Nick, installed Pennzoil Euro 0w40 I posted about above with a Purolator Boss filter. Suspect the Red Line would have been good for awhile longer (only 3700 miles), but the weather will be against me soon and Ram also requires 6 month oil changes. So might as well do it while it’s warmer than El Paso in Wisconsin (literally). 
8CAFD793-C27A-4C49-A5FF-93E9C38D56E9.thumb.jpeg.2f45505c2b0179784400062ce0bf27b7.jpeg
This Mopar filter held up fine of course. Made by Wix in Poland. Has a shyt-load of pleats. 
308C7782-18A2-42DF-8BFA-50BF7BA9003C.thumb.jpeg.196c3f68382b3c700d1d940192ec28eb.jpeg

• Like 2